It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 9:09 pm

HSC AffiliatesClick here for our affiliate link to Christianbook.comDonate to HSC

Post subject: First recipes for children.
PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 12:07 am 

I was definitely a late bloomer for learning to cook. My mom didn't allow me in the kitchen. The first thing I learned to do was boil an egg. My dad taught me that when my mom was in the hospital. I went from that to cooking steak! I think those are the only 2 things my dad knew how to do. :lol:

When I look at children's recipe books I am bewildered. Those are not the types of things *I* would be teaching kids to cook first. ?? Maybe they are meant for kids that have already learned the basics, or older kids.

What did you teach your kids first in the kitchen? Grilled cheese sandwiches is one of the first things I taught our kids. Omelets and mac and cheese followed.

Post subject: Re: First recipes for children.
PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 7:43 am 

muffins, mac and cheese, pizza, sandwiches,
dd hates to boil water for anything, because it boils over before she can get anything in the pot.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 11:58 am 

Those are good, Linda. :)

Since we got the gas stove I really don't like them using it without supervision. I already caught my own shirt on fire from the open flame. :( So, we go over the safety things constantly. I don't like open flames or gas stoves.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 8:35 pm 

Pancakes with supervision. Then waffles which they liked better because of the waffle iron.

Grilled cheese or eggs were obviously the very first things they made themselves. DD learned to cook very early, just got in there and did it. I always worried she'd either burn the house down or burn herself, but she always did ok with it.

Use of the oven came later. They'd mix the stuff up and get it ready, then I'd put it into the oven for them, and take it out when ready.

They never really fried anything because of the grease popping. I guess that's a good thing! Because now they don't fry things and it's healthier to not eat fried foods.

Learning to safely chop up or slice things is a good skill! There are so many different ways to cut up just a potato. Each recipe is different so having them learn to read and follow a recipe is a must I think.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 9:01 pm 

DD can make several vegan slow-cooker dishes. They're perfect for little kids, because it teaches measuring, rinsing & sorting, opening cans, and following the written directions of a recipe, but she simply fills the pot & I plug it in & turn on the heat. So, they're pretty safe for little kids : )

This was one of her first recipes:
http://stuffedveggies.blogspot.com/2012 ... ouvia.html

And, just the chili from this one:
http://stuffedveggies.blogspot.com/2013 ... vegan.html
(If the kids aren't accustomed to vegetarian food, you can top this one with shredded cheddar & other favorite chili toppings at the table)

Oh, and of course, this classic
http://stuffedveggies.blogspot.com/2013 ... n-log.html