It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 1:22 am

HSC AffiliatesClick here for our affiliate link to Christianbook.comDonate to HSC

Post subject: Sharing a very unusual sermon Sunday
PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 10:21 am 

We were told that sermons would be a little different in an Orthodox church than what we were used to in protestantism. The pastor wasnt preaching, it was more like we were in his home and he was just talking to us, on a personal level. It reminded me of the more personal tone of our now retired Lutheran pastor. It helps that this parish has no pews. During the sermon they all sit on the carpeted part of the floor, like we used to do at our home-church.

He spoke on a sensitive issue in Christiandom today, divorce. He encouraged us all to seek out and help each other, to get counseling. This parish has a fund for such needs if you cant afford it. Our retired Lutheran pastor had taken time to talk to us when we were having difficulty. True pastoral care. He would have made a good Orthodox priest, and yes, he could sing the liturgy.

"...with men this is impossible, but with God all things are possible." Matthew 19:26

Post subject: Re: Sharing a very unusual sermon Sunday
PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 10:52 am 

I like that aspect, too, Briva (the warm, down-home nature of the homilies/sermons). We don't have pews either so sit together on the floor to listen (there are some chairs on the sides). The homily isn't the centerpiece of the service and is typically pretty short, at least compared to what we'd been used to. 10-15 minutes in our parish. It's a good teaching message, typically, but the Liturgy isn't about the pastor's message, it's about the Scriptures and the Eucharist. So the time and focus remains there, with the first shorter part of the service being about the Scriptures (honoring the book, reading them, chanting about them and thanking God for them), and the second longer part of the service about the Eucharist.

Was your sermon in the middle of the service, or at the end? That can vary from parish to parish from what I understand.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 11:00 am 

It sounds like a lovely service, Briva, and a lovely sermon!

Divorce is an area so many need help in, but instead experience criticism.

Our Church DOES have pews (and, with my back, I'm very grateful for that) - Greek Churches nearly always do, unless they're very small. I've been in some very old (1000 years or so), tiny European ones that had room for about 20 people standing very close together - no pews there!

But, the setting & feel of the Church you visited sounds wonderful! : )

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 5:19 pm 

Quote:
Was your sermon in the middle of the service, or at the end? That can vary from parish to parish from what I understand.

Feels like the middle, we are grateful for the sitting down time by then

"...with men this is impossible, but with God all things are possible." Matthew 19:26

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 7:13 pm 

Yes, I feel the same way. We go to Orthros, before Liturgy, usually, which is more than an hour long so we like homily time, too. ;)

Briva, there are times it's okay to sit. You'll catch on, but the main times to stand for sure are when the Gospel is read, during the two entrances (when the Gospel brought in to the main part of the church from the altar is the "small entrance" and when the elements of the Eucharist are brought in is the "great entrance"), during the Creed and the Lord's prayer, and during the Anaphora (which, truth be told, I'm not when this starts/ends). Oh, and while they're serving the Eucharist and the gifts are in the room.

An always okay time to sit is during the litanies, which is when the people are singing "Lord have mercy" in reply to the deacon's or priest's listing of prayers. It's also okay to sit during the Epistle reading as well. That might be helpful to know. Don't worry about what others think if you need to sit. No one should be watching or concerned with what you're doing, but focusing on their own attentiveness to the service.

Hope that helps.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 8:30 pm 

Yes. As an easy to remember general guideline for visitors, I tell them that if the Priest is walking around outside the altar, we shouldn't be moving around (not the time to, for instance, return to your place from a trip to the restroom). And, generally, those are the times when standing is more appropriate.

And, if someone has a physical reason that you NEED to sit down (Pain, disability, being about to faint, pregnancy, age, etc) then it is appropriate any time. '

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 9:08 pm 

The first time Darla and I were at a Divine Liturgy together (only my second time), I sat down at one point because with the heat and incense, I felt like I was going to faint. She didn't know this so she nudged me to stand up again. I did so and then later made a comment about why I sat down. Poor thing felt so badly! She whispered to someone next to her and they opened the window for me. :lol: