It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:56 am

HSC AffiliatesClick here for our affiliate link to Christianbook.comDonate to HSC

Post subject: Sharing a bunny trail
PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2019 2:56 pm 

Dr. McDougall sent an email notifying the death of a director/producer friend, Jeff Wood. I looked him up.

https://www.nadadventist.org/news/side-side-adventist-songwriter-jeff-wood-passes-away

This is info on the movie he made. It's available to rent or buy through Vimeo.

https://hellandmrfudge.org

Based on a true story, from the book, A Fire That Consumes. There is another book Edward Fudge wrote, Hell: A Final Word

"Edward Fudge believes that a careful study of the Bible from cover to cover shows the traditional view of hell to be wrong. Between the two extremes of everlasting torment and universal salvation, he sets out a third view, more biblical, he argues, than either of the others."

Looks like I have my summer reading assignment

"...with men this is impossible, but with God all things are possible." Matthew 19:26

Post subject: Re: Sharing a bunny trail
PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2019 4:49 pm 

I haven't followed the links, but one of the distinctives of the SDA is a non-belief in Hell. They believe that, rather, the damned will simply be permanently destroyed.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2019 7:00 pm 

Anna1111 wrote:
They believe that, rather, the damned will simply be permanently destroyed.

Well, that's not Biblical!?! What about the parable of the rich man and Lazarus? This contrasts Hades' torment with the comfort of Abraham's bosom where Lazarus was at.

Though the movie may have served the purposes of the Adventists, Mr. Fudge was a Church of Christ preacher like his dad.

"...with men this is impossible, but with God all things are possible." Matthew 19:26

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2019 7:15 pm 

Obviously, it's not the understanding of the Orthodox Church, either.

Followers of SDA also believe that when Christians die, they fall asleep until Judgment day - rather than being with the Lord immediately.

And of course - the obvious 7th Day Sabbath, (from which the "SD" in SDA comes from ) and the Soon Advent of Christ (from which they get their "A"). And, they believe in taking good care of one's physical health - often (but not always) including a vegetarian or vegan diet. Which is, I believe, where the McDougall tie-in comes - he spent many years working at Loma Linda Hospital (or another SDA hospital?).

My Mom had great medical care and a successful heart surgery at an SDA hospital - and I have relatives who are SDA, as well as a former boss. They're lovely people : )

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2019 12:25 am 

Briva wrote:
Dr. McDougall sent an email notifying the death of a director/producer friend, Jeff Wood. I looked him up.

https://www.nadadventist.org/news/side-side-adventist-songwriter-jeff-wood-passes-away

This is info on the movie he made. It's available to rent or buy through Vimeo.

https://hellandmrfudge.org

Based on a true story, from the book, A Fire That Consumes. There is another book Edward Fudge wrote, Hell: A Final Word

"Edward Fudge believes that a careful study of the Bible from cover to cover shows the traditional view of hell to be wrong. Between the two extremes of everlasting torment and universal salvation, he sets out a third view, more biblical, he argues, than either of the others."

Looks like I have my summer reading assignment

Book report due August 31! :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2019 12:27 am 

Anna1111 wrote:
I haven't followed the links, but one of the distinctives of the SDA is a non-belief in Hell. They believe that, rather, the damned will simply be permanently destroyed.

While i might like to believe that, i don't see it. AND, the laws of physics don't seem to agree either. ;)

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2019 12:30 am 

Anna1111 wrote:

Followers of SDA also believe that when Christians die, they fall asleep until Judgment day - rather than being with the Lord immediately.

And of course - the obvious 7th Day Sabbath, (from which the "SD" in SDA comes from ) and the Soon Advent of Christ (from which they get their "A"). And, they believe in taking good care of one's physical health - often (but not always) including a vegetarian or vegan diet. Which is, I believe, where the McDougall tie-in comes - he spent many years working at Loma Linda Hospital (or another SDA hospital?).

My Mom had great medical care and a successful heart surgery at an SDA hospital - and I have relatives who are SDA, as well as a former boss. They're lovely people : )

I'm not sure which of these is a salvation issue, if any are, BUT.... they also teach that anyone that worships on sunday rather than the sabbath has taken the mark of the beast. Now THAT is worrisome to me!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2019 11:07 am 

Sis wrote:
Anna1111 wrote:

I'm not sure which of these is a salvation issue, if any are, BUT.... they also teach that anyone that worships on sunday rather than the sabbath has taken the mark of the beast. Now THAT is worrisome to me!

Hmmm. I had never heard *that* before. I wonder if that's a doctrine of their whole denomination, or the opinion of just some members? :ugeek:

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2019 11:38 am 

Anna1111 wrote:
Sis wrote:
Anna1111 wrote:

I was in a SDA Bible study and it was taught! Maybe it's one of "those things" taught in the church but not believed by the majority. ???

Hmmm. I had never heard *that* before. I wonder if that's a doctrine of their whole denomination, or the opinion of just some members? :ugeek:

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2019 3:51 pm 

Sis wrote:

I'm not sure which of these is a salvation issue...

That's a can of worms 8-)
I know some very good people who say that, who come from different denominational backgrounds. Yet, in teaching from the Bible, some churches can be all over the place and get stuck in their "distinctives". To be saved you must do this or believe that. What one thinks about hell are not salvation issues. Whether it be door #1, #2 or #3. They are all separation from God. I always fall to John 3:16-21

16 For God so loved the world that he gave his only Son, that whoever believes in him should not perish but have eternal life. 17 For God sent the Son into the world, not to condemn the world, but that the world might be saved through him. 18 He who believes in him is not condemned; he who does not believe is condemned already, because he has not believed in the name of the only Son of God. 19 And this is the judgment, that the light has come into the world, and men loved darkness rather than light, because their deeds were evil. 20 For every one who does evil hates the light, and does not come to the light, lest his deeds should be exposed. 21 But he who does what is true comes to the light, that it may be clearly seen that his deeds have been wrought in God.

My four friends since childhood have been Matthew, Mark, Luke and John...they have never steered me wrong.