It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:39 am

HSC AffiliatesClick here for our affiliate link to Christianbook.comDonate to HSC

Post subject: Bible Verse I had never noticed before
PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2019 9:29 am 

I think this is beautiful : )

(https://biblia.com/bible/Proverbs4.18)

"But the path of the righteous is like the light of dawn,

which shines brighter and brighter until full day."

It reminds me of an old quote from Reader's Digest years ago, in which a Chinese man compared arranged marriages to the Western practice of "Romantic Marriages"

He said something like this: "In the West, when people get married, they start off with a "boiling pot" - then they get married, take it off the stove, and let it gradually cool down. But, in China, we start off with a "cold pot" we get married, put it on the stove, and let it gradually heat up!"

And also, the verse from Ecclesiastes:

Ecclesiastes 7:8a "Better is the end of a thing than the beginning thereof"

Any experiences in your life - or in your observation - that make these concepts ring true? :)

Post subject: Re: Bible Verse I had never noticed before
PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2019 10:15 am 

I think Ecc 7:8 is why JW's don't celebrate birthdays. I don't know where I get the (seemingly innate) feeling of contempt for holidays that celebrate ourselves.

It seems to me we see thru Christ, Himself, that the true celebration is at the end. Of course there is adulation and celebration over the beginning, the new, the hope of things to come. But the very true delight is in finishing well.

Love the Prov verse!

Post subject: Re: Bible Verse I had never noticed before
PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2019 11:58 am 

Sis wrote:
I think Ecc 7:8 is why JW's don't celebrate birthdays. I don't know where I get the (seemingly innate) feeling of contempt for holidays that celebrate ourselves.

It seems to me we see thru Christ, Himself, that the true celebration is at the end. Of course there is adulation and celebration over the beginning, the new, the hope of things to come. But the very true delight is in finishing well.

Love the Prov verse!

I have *some* of the same feeling about Birthdays - for adults, that is. But, with children, I think it's lovely to make them feel loved, and let them know we're grateful to God for their beginnings : )

And, I have some of the same reticence over conversion stories. As one Protestant Theology Professor said years ago, if the greatest moment in your life is the moment you were born, that's a problem. And the same can be said of Spiritual life! It's good if we've made some progress on our journey, not just begun it well.

I also like our Orthodox Tradition of "Name Days" - where we celebrate the Saint or Feast that we're named for, and are trying to emulate. Keeps the focus on progress & relationships, rather than beginnings.