It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:22 am

HSC AffiliatesClick here for our affiliate link to Christianbook.comDonate to HSC

Post subject: Why I hate halloween - by a witch.
PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 1:03 pm 

(I found this perspective to be interesting altho' i don't think most "witches" see halloween this way.)

But at this time of year, I get angry. And sad. But mostly angry. I want to post signs and write letters and scream at people that this hurts. It hurts like signs and graffiti painted in religious slurs and carried around. It hurts like Christians and Muslims and Jews and people of all faiths hurt when they are visibly and publically derided. And it hurts most because it is socially acceptable. It’s big money. It’s a laugh-a-minute. It terrifies children. It perpetuates stereotypes. It keeps us in the broom closet.

And for weeks per year, it’s everywhere.

*Not all Wiccans refer to themselves as witches, not all witches follow Wicca. Some men use the title witch, others use wizard or warlock. I use Wiccan or witch for myself, gender-inappropriate though it may be. -JV

Post subject: Re: Why I hate halloween - by a witch.
PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 5:45 pm 

Witchcraft is an exceedingly grave sin. Social approval of such behavior is not appropriate.

"Hurt feelings" over social disapproval for such a thing seems, at the minimum, a little disingenuous.

Does this person really expect applause for such a heinous thing?

I never stop thinking, in the modern age, of Genesis 19:9. It's nothing new for people to demand approval for sin, even if they have to do so violently.

OTOH, I would like to see Halloween go away, too : )

(Altho I cannot help but wonder if this apparently online post was an amateurish attempt to use reverse psychology to make Christians observe Halloween, when they otherwise wouldn't :ugeek: )

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 7:47 pm 

Anna1111 wrote:
Witchcraft is an exceedingly grave sin. Social approval of such behavior is not appropriate.

"Hurt feelings" over social disapproval for such a thing seems, at the minimum, a little disingenuous.

Does this person really expect applause for such a heinous thing?

I never stop thinking, in the modern age, of Genesis 19:9. It's nothing new for people to demand approval for sin, even if they have to do so violently.

OTOH, I would like to see Halloween go away, too : )

(Altho I cannot help but wonder if this apparently online post was an amateurish attempt to use reverse psychology to make Christians observe Halloween, when they otherwise wouldn't :ugeek: )

LOL I admit, i tho't maybe it would be GOOD to make a mockery of "their religion" - for a moment. But, no.

I sometimes lose sight of one of the BIG reasons i hate halloween. Halloween creates interest in the dangerous practices of the occult, witchcraft and new age, sending the message that dark things are sometimes acceptable and fun. I was raised Christian and attended church every time the door was open. I was "open" to spiritual things. From the time i was 11 until maybe 14 i was trying to discover the "truth". On halloween my gang of girls would have a sleepover and practice hypnotism, ouija boards, and anything else that seemed supernatural. I eve got a book and started learning "white magic" - because i was a CHRISTIAN, so of course i wouldn't do the terrible stuff, right?

I hate how deceptive satan is. And worse, how deceived WE are. Halloween IS a "high holy day" in the satanic church. The satanic church became a big deal during that time period and things got scary, at least in CA. But i think it's almost scarier now that it's all "fun and games". The satanic "worshipers" seem to embrace the humanistic religion but call it "satan worship" - i wonder if they realize how right they are? Wiccans, otoh, are a bit more "mother nature", hippy types. Hug a tree. You are part of the whole of the universe - so Star Trekky! "It is futile to resist!"

And maybe the cherry on top was that some guys grabbed me while i was out trick-or-treating. My friends all ran off "to get help" but i kicked and wiggled my way away from them - punks. I thank God that i went thru what i did just so i would have that first-hand knowledge, undeniable to myself, of how real the dark side is.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 8:08 am 

Great points you have, there.

Although "Wiccans" try to create a false dichotomy between themselves and the "really bad" stuff - the reality is that idolatry is idolatry.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 8:44 am 

Anna1111 wrote:
Great points you have, there.

Although "Wiccans" try to create a false dichotomy between themselves and the "really bad" stuff - the reality is that idolatry is idolatry.

From what i've seen, the root word for "wicca" and "witch" are the same. Hmmm.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 8:50 am 

Yes - they say that they're "witches," but don't worship the Evil One. Instead, they claim to "be Pagan" or "worship nature" or "be Pantheist" or some such thing. They say that attributing "Satan worship" to them is a slanderous mistake. I say it's a false dichotomy.