It is currently Mon Nov 19, 2018 11:26 am

HSC AffiliatesClick here for our affiliate link to Christianbook.comDonate to HSC





Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: I liked this article
PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2018 6:40 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sat Jun 30, 2012 7:14 pm
Posts: 7863
http://christianmomthoughts.com/10-signs-the-christian-authors-youre-following-are-subtly-teaching-unbiblical-ideas/

_________________
http://stuffedveggies.blogspot.com/


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: I liked this article
PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2018 7:29 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sat Jun 30, 2012 5:22 pm
Posts: 8716
Anna1111 wrote:
http://christianmomthoughts.com/10-signs-the-christian-authors-youre-following-are-subtly-teaching-unbiblical-ideas/


Amen and amen!

1. They say, "I love Jesus [i]but[i]..."] - I love what she says to this: "Is this really something that glorifies the God you say you love?

2. They make it a point to separate a relationship with Jesus from religion. - I think i've done that. It's the whole "walking into a garage doesn't make you a car" philosophy. Certainly there ARE people within "organized religion" that are not even Christians. They might be good businessmen or socialites that find their presence in church puts them up a peg. James 1:27 addresses pure religion, as she points out. ;)

3. Authenticity and messiness. - Hmmmm. I guess i struggle with this one. I don't think i'm open and honest with my struggles to those around me. When i think about being so - say in authoring my own story, i ask myself how i would feel reading such a thing about someone else. It's a slim line and a slippery slope, imho, to put your own messiness "out there". ?? It got dangerously close in a discussion at church Bible study just last week; a little uncomfortable. But, it quickly came back around to point out our constant need for Christ.

4. The value of questions over the value of answers. - SRSLY? Sounds like the 60's.

5. Confusing uncontroversial statements with moral positions - very political. The only people i know of that make an issue of this is democrats. {Did i say that aloud? nope}

6. "Christian" action? to the exclusion of belief? - That's "being good for goodness' sake" and i've seen billboards to that effect. "Enlightened" people are saying that you don't have to be "religious" to do good things. (True.) However, we aren't all that. If we could be "good enuf" then Christ wouldn't have died a horrible death to redeem us!

7. They use the word "faith" to mean some kind of unbounded belief system about God. - Faith is the SUBSTANCE of things hoped for and the EVIDENCE of things not seen.

8. "Be true to yourself". - OH! The American culture has bo't into this one hook, line and sinker! Follow your dreams. Follow your heart. Be true to yourself. I LOVE the 9yo answer - "You shouldn't always be true to yourself, because if you want to be a murderer that would be really wrong". Out of the mouth of babes. :) The reason i use a little "i" when referring to myself is to remind me that "i" must decrease and HE must increase. I don't need more of ME in my life! I need more of Him in my life.

9. They treat judging others as the ultimate sin. - She's so right on with her answer. Love it.

10. They make claims about what it means to love others without addressing what it means to love God. -

Well, i guess i could just say i also love this article because it expresses my feelings so much better than i express them myself! :)

I think too often we give published authors leeway into our minds because they write their tho'ts so eloquently. It sounds so good, so right, so beautiful, ... it might even make us feel peace and comfort. I remember reading a book by a woman that had died and gone to heaven. She was not only shown around heaven but was told how and why she chose to be the human she was. It was a beautiful story and one i was happy to believe.... until my dh burst my bubble. LOL The next big seller like that was The Shack. I went into that with my eyes open and a Bible and pencil with me. Every time i came across something i could find in Scripture concerning that principle i jotted the verses down in the margin.

I only had one cup of coffee but i am blabbing away like it was 3!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: I liked this article
PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2018 8:11 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sat Jun 30, 2012 7:14 pm
Posts: 7863
I'm glad you liked it, too!

As for #3 - I think the current messiness & authenticity thing is - well - fake & trendy. It's like when someone is asked for their faults in a job interview, and they say (all chipper -ike) "I work SOOO hard that sometimes I forget to take care of myself!" I see a lot of "confessions" that someone was grumpy with the kids, or forgot to vacuum their living room. Relatively trivial things that everyone suffers from. I usually don't see ANY that have any real serious content to them (except the occasional person who writes a blog instead of going to therapy and shows it ALL!). And, I'm glad I don't. That stuff belongs in the Confessional - not all over the internet! Like D.James Kennedy said in Evangelism Explosion (and I paraphrase) "Sometimes your testimony of how far you've come from a sinful life will not convince your hearer that they need to convert, but rather that they need to hide the silver so you don't steal it!"

I also loved the 9-year-old's observation about being "true to yourself!" What a winner!

_________________
http://stuffedveggies.blogspot.com/


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: I liked this article
PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2018 8:37 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sat Jun 30, 2012 5:22 pm
Posts: 8716
Anna1111 wrote:
I'm glad you liked it, too!

As for #3 - I think the current messiness & authenticity thing is - well - fake & trendy. It's like when someone is asked for their faults in a job interview, and they say (all chipper -ike) "I work SOOO hard that sometimes I forget to take care of myself!" I see a lot of "confessions" that someone was grumpy with the kids, or forgot to vacuum their living room. Relatively trivial things that everyone suffers from. I usually don't see ANY that have any real serious content to them (except the occasional person who writes a blog instead of going to therapy and shows it ALL!). And, I'm glad I don't. That stuff belongs in the Confessional - not all over the internet! Like D.James Kennedy said in Evangelism Explosion (and I paraphrase) "Sometimes your testimony of how far you've come from a sinful life will not convince your hearer that they need to convert, but rather that they need to hide the silver so you don't steal it!"

I also loved the 9-year-old's observation about being "true to yourself!" What a winner!


Fake and trendy?! Good grief! :? Ok, i guess i *could* "confess" that i ate the whole family-sized bag of chips myself. :| But i'm not telling you my struggle with marijuana every. single. day. Trying to quit, convicted, but i just seem to stop.

But i might tell you about this horrific affair i had and how exciting it was and how great they treated me but i was finally convicted and came back to the Lord and my spouse. (But, i WON't tell you that i still daydream about it.)

Are those the kinds of things you're talking about?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: I liked this article
PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2018 9:23 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sat Jun 30, 2012 7:14 pm
Posts: 7863
Um. Yeah.

Guess your life is more exciting than mine, Sis - that's all I can say ; )

I eat Lucky Charms for breakfast instead of stewed kale. there! You happy?! Now *I'M* "authentic & messy, too!

_________________
http://stuffedveggies.blogspot.com/


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: I liked this article
PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2018 11:28 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sat Jun 30, 2012 5:22 pm
Posts: 8716
Anna1111 wrote:
Um. Yeah.

Guess your life is more exciting than mine, Sis - that's all I can say ; )

I eat Lucky Charms for breakfast instead of stewed kale. there! You happy?! Now *I'M* "authentic & messy, too!



:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
cron
Theme designed by stylerbb.net © 2008
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group
All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]