It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 10:52 am

HSC AffiliatesClick here for our affiliate link to Christianbook.comDonate to HSC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 46 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: probably a silly question
PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 10:31 pm 

Ask this again in a few months! My Sunday School class will be starting a study of fasting and its relationship to prayer this next Sunday. So, I will come back and share what we learn.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 10:15 am 

I would like to see a discussion on this as well. I just heard part of a sermon on fasting on the radio. I associate fasting with power. This verse comes to mind: Matt 17:21
21 However, this kind does not go out except by prayer and fasting . NKJV

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 11:15 am 

Darla wrote:
scottbiddle wrote:
Fasting was part of Judaism. It was done for various reasons, but it is not commanded in the New Testament. It generally falls under the category of "If you want to do it, feel free, but don't bind it on anyone else." (look at what Paul says regarding sabbaths and new moon festivals and other practices that were brought forward by some folks from Judaism but not required for Christians)

I don't think I fully agree with the emphasized part above. Jesus didn't do away with all-things-Jewish, He fulfilled them. The original church had/has a lot of practices that are Judaic in origin; they're just Incarnate-Christ-focused rather than coming-Messiah focused.

Aren't Jesus' words, "When you fast ... " enough to say fasting is "stamped" as a New Testament practice? And fasting on Wednesdays and Fridays is mentioned in very early Christian literature (written when apostles were still living) in a way that indicates it's what the church was doing (the writing was not trying to convince Christians to fast; they already were).

Side note: Why do you say fasting was a part of Judaism? Are there scriptures that discuss this?

You should consider several things:

1) When Jesus made this statement, Christianity didn't exist in realized form. It was with the death of Christ that the requirements of the Old Testament Law were "nailed to the cross" as Paul said in Colossians 2:14. Christ fulfilled the Old Testament law in the sense of fulfilling a contract - He paid the debt incurred under the OT Law. Jesus and His followers obeyed the requirements of the law (observation of the Passover including pilgrimages to Jerusalem, etc.) until Jesus died. The only fast required under Jewish law was on the day of Atonement (the day when they were acknowledging their sins and asking for forgiveness). In Leviticus 16:29, 23:27, and Numbers 29:7 they are told to "afflict their souls" (a pseudonym for fasting - seen in Psalm 69:10 and also in Isaiah 58:5 where God says "Is it a fast that I have chosen, A day for a man to afflict his soul?").

2) There were other contexts where it was not commanded by law to fast, but it was commanded by the king (usually as an attempt to seek favor from the Lord). 2Ch 20:3, Ezra 8:21, Esther 4:16, Isaiah 58:3, Jeremiah 14:12, and Jonah 3:5 are examples of this. By the first century, the tradition of the pharisees had them fasting multiple times per week to show people how devout they were. Jesus' statement about how to fast was within the context of saying that no religious action should be taken in an effort to be seen/praised by men.

3) There was also a Jewish custom to fast when in mourning. This is discussed in the story of David and the death of his newborn son (2 Sa 12:23) and Jesus refers to this practice in passing in Matthew 9:15. This also happens in 1 Sa 31:13, 2 Sa 1:12 and elsewhere.

4) We are no longer under the Old Testament law. In fact, Romans 14 says we are not to judge each other based on what we eat or don't eat and Colossians 2 makes a similar statement. It is made clear in Acts 15 that even first century believers were exempted from following the dietary restrictions of the Old Testament.

My point is that there was a specific command for all to "afflict their souls" (fast) on the day of Atonement (once a year) and that people could (and often did) choose to fast on other occasions in the OT. In the NT, we have an instruction on how to fast if you do fast, but not a commandment to fast. We actually have specific commandments to eat what we prefer and not judge others based on that. Given the plain text of the Scriptures, I find no indication that fasting was or is a commandment for Christians. If people choose to fast, there is no Scripture indicating it is wrong, but there is also no Scripture indicating that people are wrong if they choose not to fast.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 12:54 pm 

I see what you're saying now, thanks. I do also know, though, that fasting was a regular part of liturgical life from the early days of the church (while the Apostles were still living and on from there), and while it may not be commanded by the Scriptures, it was encouraged and taught by the early church fathers before there was a canon of Scripture. The Scriptures were put together not so much as a teaching tool, but more to put a "fence" around the life of the church in response to heresies that were attempting to come in to the church. Because of that, just because something's not specifically taught or mentioned in Scripture doesn't mean there's no place for it (or that it's up to personal decision). It could be that it was just the standard m.o. and didn't need to be mentioned because there were no heresies creeping in regarding the idea/practice.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 1:17 pm 

Imagine a parent leaving the house. This is a house that has a rule that we take out the trash on Thursdays, for Friday pickup. The garbage is overflowing. On his way out the door, Dad says, "Son, when you take out the trash, be sure to put a new bag in the can."

Friday comes. Trash is still overflowing and now a little smelly. Dad says, "Why didn't you take the trash out yesterday?" Son replies, "You never commanded me to."

Jesus said "When you fast." Believers already had fasting rules. If fasting is not done, our Spiritual condition gets smelly. Are we going to insist on a direct command, or we won't do it?

Similarly, in Matthew 25, Jesus says that those who don't offer the least of these water, food and clothes will be cast out. Are we going to say, "But you didn't *command* us to do that?"

God tells us lots of things in Scripture in forms other than direct command.

Forget the whole "judgmental" thing - we're just talking about what *we* should do, according to what Christ has revealed to us.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 2:04 pm 

So, Jesus is commanding us to see the abomination that causes desolation when He says "Therefore when you see the 'abomination of desolation,' spoken of by Daniel the prophet, standing in the holy place..."? (Matthew 24:15, Mark 13:14)

When Jesus says "So you also, when you see all these things, know that it is near--at the doors!" He is commanding all of us to see these things, even if we are incapable of doing so because they already happened or will happen in the future? (Matthew 24:33, Mark 13:29)

When Jesus says "When you go with your adversary to the magistrate..." He is ORDERING his people to be sued by their neighbors? (Luke 12:58)

When Jesus says "When you are invited by anyone to a wedding feast" He is commanding us to be invited to wedding feasts? (Luke 14:8)

When Jesus says "But when you give a feast" He is commanding us to hold feasts? (Luke 14:13)

When Jesus says "But when you see Jerusalem surrounded by armies, then know that its desolation is near." He is commanding us to see Jerusalem surrounded by armies? (Luke 21:20)

No, saying "When you do X, do Y" means "If it happens that you do X, make sure you do Y"

A better example would be me telling my children "When you play sports, make sure you play fair." An order to play sports? No. A condition to meet if they choose to play sports? Yep. "When you get married, make sure you are both committed to each other and to God." An order to get married? Nope. "When you lose, accept it gracefully." An order to lose? Not hardly.

Jewish believers already had fasting rules, it is true. Their fasting RULE was one day per year. Varying traditions had some members of certain groups fasting up to three days per week. Jesus fasted 40 days (as did Moses in the OT). None of those are given to us as a commandment.

The apostles followed some set of the tradition, but they also continued to offer sacrifices in the temple. Are you still doing that because it was part of their practice in the 1st century?

The apostles specifically said in Acts 15, Romans 14, 1 Corinthians 8, 1 Corinthians 10, and Colossians 2 that the Old Law's dietary requirements were lifted. To take one statement that "When you do X, do Y" and say that it orders us to do X is not proper handling of Scripture.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 3:53 pm 

There are no fasting police. If you choose not to fast, don't. You are accountable to God, not to me. The Scripture is clear, and it is confirmed by 2000+years of the Holy Spirit's guidance of His Church.

If others here believe that fasting is the right thing to do why do you argue? If you choose not to fast, why do you want to stop others from engaging in something for their Spiritual upbuilding? And, if you do fast, you must know its benefits - why would you discourage others from enjoying the same benefits you enjoy? I do not understand polemical arguments against Christian virtue.

I strongly disagree with your logic and your tone. But, I do not wish to argue with you.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 5:22 pm 

I guess I would never have viewed it as a commandment, but rather something that one can do to further spiritual growth.
This came about in my Sunday School class after a long discussion, and study, about how we are to respond to politics.
The bottom line was: 2 Chronicles 7:14
if my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then will I hear from heaven and will forgive their sin and will heal their land.

Who does that apply to? Certainly NOT those who are not Christians. Specifically, that is said to God's people, to US.

So, what does it look like to humble ourselves, to pray and seek God's face, to turn away from our wicked ways.

Someone brought up pray AND fasting, so we will look at that.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 6:21 pm 

I agree, Kysa -

I think that it wasn't given as a command in the strictest sense because fasting is impossible for some - type 1 diabetics and others with certain health or other issues.

But, for those who are able, we can choose to say "Your wish is my command" (as Mom used to instruct us to say when she asked us to do chores ; )

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 6:49 pm 

Quote:
The apostles followed some set of the tradition, but they also continued to offer sacrifices in the temple. Are you still doing that because it was part of their practice in the 1st century?

No, because the Holy Spirit didn't lead the early church fathers to continue that practice as He "guide[d] them into all truth," while He did lead them to keep fasting as a spiritual discipline. There is evidence of this from the time the apostles were still alive. :-)

(Where does it say the apostles sacrificed anything in the temple post-Pentecost?)

Reason for editing: Because I'm a perfectionist and like to have everything just so. :geek:

Last edited by Darla on Thu Sep 06, 2012 7:07 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 46 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next