It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:25 am

HSC AffiliatesClick here for our affiliate link to Christianbook.comDonate to HSC

Post subject: probably a silly question
PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 2:51 pm 

Why do we fast? I've been reading scattered Bible books and started Matthew today.

Post subject: Re: probably a silly question
PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 2:59 pm 

That's a very good question. I have never studied 'why' but do know that the disciples did and have met people who regularly do. I think it has to do with preparing yourself, a type of cleansing of body (and mind) for prayer, meditating on a spiritual matter. I'd like to see other responses, especially from people who do fast and know 'why'.

"...with men this is impossible, but with God all things are possible." Matthew 19:26

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 3:18 pm 

Thank you

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 3:27 pm 

It's not a silly question at all.

It would be much sillier not to fast, or not to wonder why.

It's an area I've been failing at pretty badly lately : (

There are different types of fasting - to abstain from all food & drink, 24/7; to abstain from food 24/7; to abstain from certain meals; to abstain from certain foods etc.

Our custom is, for most seasons, to abstain from certain foods (usually it means being vegan) and to avoid excess, but occasionally we have different types of fasting.

Here is a nice introductory article on the meaning:
http://www.goarch.org/ourfaith/ourfaith8124

Here is an ancient writing, by a Revered Saint:
http://www.orthodox.net/articles/orthod ... ostom.html

And also, a very nice, more detailed article here:
http://www.orthodoxresearchinstitute.or ... asting.htm

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 3:32 pm 

To add, Jesus said we would! Matthew 6:16 “When you fast, do not look somber as the hypocrites do, for they disfigure their faces to show others they are fasting. Truly I tell you, they have received their reward in full."

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 4:44 pm 

Fasting was part of Judaism. It was done for various reasons, but it is not commanded in the New Testament. It generally falls under the category of "If you want to do it, feel free, but don't bind it on anyone else." (look at what Paul says regarding sabbaths and new moon festivals and other practices that were brought forward by some folks from Judaism but not required for Christians)

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 4:54 pm 

I think it is a spiritual discipline, like prayer. I've heard of people not getting an answer to prayer about an important situation until they fasted. As important as I think it is to fast, I've never made it through 1/2 a day without food, lol. It is tough if you're not used to it.

Right before I found out I found out I was pregnant, I was going to start fasting on a regular basis for my dh's salvation. I still plan on doing that. I've heard of parents fasting on a regular basis for the salvation of their children. I think it was Billy Graham's mother who fasted for the first 17 years of his life before he was saved.

To me, it's kind of like a step up from prayer, a new dimension. I think God recognizes your dedication during fasting and it clears your mind, allowing you to hear God clearer and connect with Him more deeply. I think most people also pray a lot more during fasting. Like if thet're fasting from lunch, they use that time to pray.

I recently read a great book about fasting from my library, called "Fasting For Spiritual Breakthrough: A Guide to Nine Biblical Fasts" by Elmer Towns. It goes through all the different fasts and reasons for them. He also shows the health aspects of fasting.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 5:15 pm 

Anna, is your vegan fasting part of your family choice, or something practiced more widely in your church?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 5:26 pm 

Pam, Orthodox Christians are supposed to "fast" (as I described above) according to a schedule set by the Church. Lent, Advent, Most Wednesdays and Fridays, etc. The Church provides a calendar which is marked with the schedule.
http://www.goarch.org/chapel/calendar

That being said, there is a lot of flexibility. Our Faith is person-based, not rule-based, so we have a practice called "Economia" in which the Priest can be consulted in special circumstances. For instance, a new convert or a person returning to the Church after a long absence may be advised to go at it more gently (sometimes having a hamburger when they're used to steak is all they're up to - and sometimes that is okay!). A diabetic would be advised to make adaptations for their medical needs. A person who receives hospitality is allowed to accept what is offered - "fasting" food or not.

And, not all Orthodox Christians *choose* to follow the rules of the Church. Just as Protestants are encouraged to read their Bible every day, but do not all do so, Orthodox are encouraged to fast, but do not all do so.

Judging others in the Church on the matter of fasting is strictly forbidden.

And, besides all that, I choose to be mostly-vegan year round for a variety of reasons - most of which are not religious.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 10:25 pm 

scottbiddle wrote:
Fasting was part of Judaism. It was done for various reasons, but it is not commanded in the New Testament. It generally falls under the category of "If you want to do it, feel free, but don't bind it on anyone else." (look at what Paul says regarding sabbaths and new moon festivals and other practices that were brought forward by some folks from Judaism but not required for Christians)

I don't think I fully agree with the emphasized part above. Jesus didn't do away with all-things-Jewish, He fulfilled them. The original church had/has a lot of practices that are Judaic in origin; they're just Incarnate-Christ-focused rather than coming-Messiah focused.

Aren't Jesus' words, "When you fast ... " enough to say fasting is "stamped" as a New Testament practice? And fasting on Wednesdays and Fridays is mentioned in very early Christian literature (written when apostles were still living) in a way that indicates it's what the church was doing (the writing was not trying to convince Christians to fast; they already were).

Side note: Why do you say fasting was a part of Judaism? Are there scriptures that discuss this?

Last edited by Darla on Wed Sep 05, 2012 11:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.