It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:57 am

HSC AffiliatesClick here for our affiliate link to Christianbook.comDonate to HSC

Post subject: Today was a hodgepodge.
PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2018 12:05 am 

I spent the day bagging up mom's clothes. That was my primary directive. ;) I got 3 of the big black garbage bags full with another just full of the hangers. Oh, i forgot the shoes. :?

There were about 3 other bags of odds and ends, the walker and wheelchair and the Direct TV boxes and remotes. I took dh out to eat (Mexican), came home and took a hot soaky bath where i fell asleep! 8-)

I finished up a few little things tonight - cleaning the dining table mainly. But, i will tell you that i went thru her "important papers" tonight and found her Last Will and Testament where she specifically stated she did NOT want to leave anything to me, or one of my brothers. OUCH. :cry: That did hurt. I never expected her to leave me anything but it's the way that it was stated and that i was put in with the son that has no relationship with mom. (The will was written in 2005 and she probably had other reasons not to include me but... you know.)

Thankfully none of the other siblings want to make an issue of it. They know things changed and are happy for me to be taking care of everything. :mrgreen:

I also found things like mom's baby book and a magazine from her birth year. :)

Post subject: Re: Today was a hodgepodge.
PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2018 1:24 pm 

I found a small picture album of my mom's siblings, all 11 of them in her nightstand. My 'uncle' , really my cousin (he was close in age to my mom) identified the pictures for me. My mom was the last surviving sibling. She was the 10th of 12.

Somewhere in Cuba, there is a photo of all the family, my grandparents included, I have not seen but heard mention of, like a legend, lol.

"...with men this is impossible, but with God all things are possible." Matthew 19:26

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2018 1:45 pm 

Briva wrote:
I found a small picture album of my mom's siblings, all 11 of them in her nightstand. My 'uncle' , really my cousin (he was close in age to my mom) identified the pictures for me. My mom was the last surviving sibling. She was the 10th of 12.

Somewhere in Cuba, there is a photo of all the family, my grandparents included, I have not seen but heard mention of, like a legend, lol.

Quite mysterious! :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2018 2:05 pm 

So sorry about the will, Sis. I know that would hurt - even if things had changed in the interim. We had a similar situation in my family- the will was bad during a difficult time, and then never updated when things changed. Wills are a dangerous business emotionally : (

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2018 11:45 pm 

I am debating leaving everything either to the church, or the kids can split things equally. Depends on the mood I am when I go see the attorney :lol:

"...with men this is impossible, but with God all things are possible." Matthew 19:26

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2018 10:21 am 

If it provides any comfort at all, Sis, the actual wording on a will that excludes heirs is "boilerplate language" - it is pre-written, and lawyers just paste it into the applicable document. It *is* harsh language - but not because the decedent chose it or wrote it to be that way. The law generally requires the harsh language to make it VERY clear - because children can contest a will so easily and say that there was some sort of mistake.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 2:10 pm 

Anna1111 wrote:
If it provides any comfort at all, Sis, the actual wording on a will that excludes heirs is "boilerplate language" - it is pre-written, and lawyers just paste it into the applicable document. It *is* harsh language - but not because the decedent chose it or wrote it to be that way. The law generally requires the harsh language to make it VERY clear - because children can contest a will so easily and say that there was some sort of mistake.

I kinda figured that's what it was. To be lumped with the sibling that has nothing to do with her.... :?

BUT, it's lost its sting. None of her will was carried out. The one everything was supposed to go to got an autoharp. The one that was supposed to make the decisions - yeah, that turned out to be me. Mom's obvious "favorite" - the baby - he's taking the ukulele! (He's 6'5" and i'd love to see him with it! LOL) And i got her 2015 Honda! None of the kids are contesting anything. I feel extremely blessed in it all. 8-)

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 2:18 pm 

Thanks be to God! : )