It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:46 pm

HSC AffiliatesClick here for our affiliate link to Christianbook.comDonate to HSC

Post subject: How do you "seek ye first the kingdom of God"?
PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 1:40 pm 

In what ways do you *seek* the kingdom of God? And how do you put it "first" in your life?

Post subject: Re: How do you "seek ye first the kingdom of God"?
PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 4:21 pm 

Deuteronomy 6:5
5 You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart, with all your soul, and with all your strength.

Matthew 22:37
37 Jesus said to him, “‘You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart, with all your soul, and with all your mind.’

In prayers upon waking, to just before retiring at night, meditate on the Lord.

"...with men this is impossible, but with God all things are possible." Matthew 19:26

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 4:56 pm 

I think it's very easy to deceive ourselves about what is really first in our lives.

I always wonder if we should do a "Spiritual Audit" now and then of the following:

1 - see what percentage of our checkbook/spending is dedicated to God (not just tithing, but making purchases that please God - like that meal you buy for the neighbor, or the Christian book you buy for your Spiritual growth, the item you buy to give your child a Christian education, etc)

2. - look at our calendar/schedule to see honestly how our time is spent

3. Ask for some honest feedback from family to see how God-honoring our speech is or if it is filled with criticism of others, self centered talk, and materialism.

4. Reading/entertainment audit. what percentage of our free/entertainment time is spent in a way that truly pleases God

Too often, we humans talk about "there's nothing wrong with this" rather than "this pleases God" when we're looking at these categories.

Sadly, this would be a very hard audit to "pass" : (

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 5:22 pm 

Anna1111 wrote:
I think it's very easy to deceive ourselves about what is really first in our lives.

I always wonder if we should do a "Spiritual Audit" now and then of the following:

1 - see what percentage of our checkbook/spending is dedicated to God (not just tithing, but making purchases that please God - like that meal you buy for the neighbor, or the Christian book you buy for your Spiritual growth, the item you buy to give your child a Christian education, etc)

2. - look at our calendar/schedule to see honestly how our time is spent

3. Ask for some honest feedback from family to see how God-honoring our speech is or if it is filled with criticism of others, self centered talk, and materialism.

4. Reading/entertainment audit. what percentage of our free/entertainment time is spent in a way that truly pleases God

Too often, we humans talk about "there's nothing wrong with this" rather than "this pleases God" when we're looking at these categories.

Sadly, this would be a very hard audit to "pass" : (

I think it's very easy to deceive ourselves about what is really first in our lives. <---

That is SO true! It is discouraging to be around so many "Christians" that claim to love God and yet spend their days in opposition to him. They pray, they listen to some Christian radio, they say "thank the Lord" a lot - but they also embrace other spiritual ideas because they are "pretty".

Jeremiah 17:9 says The heart is deceitful above all things and beyond cure. Who can understand it?

I love your audit! 8-)