It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:24 pm

HSC AffiliatesClick here for our affiliate link to Christianbook.comDonate to HSC

Post subject: Found this video watch it all
PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 3:19 pm 

then decide.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3a1nWyX53y8

Post subject: Re: Found this video watch it all
PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 3:24 pm 

Nearly an hour long! Maybe i'll watch it in segments. ;)

Post subject: Re: Found this video watch it all
PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 8:42 pm 

Ok. So, i think what he's saying is that we are no longer under the tithe (tenth) "rule" but we are to prayerfully consider how much to give. Right?

I guess i can go with that but i also think those that are not tithers to begin with are not going to "hear" God tell them to give MORE, and i think that's the point. The tithe is the jumping off point and to give over and above that is what God expects from those that follow Him.

In Bible study we just finished 2 Corinthians in which Paul goes on and ON about giving and giving some more!

DO people realize that a church building needs maintenance? Do they realize that if they attend a church that hey are part of the responsible party? The electricity needs paid, the water and sewer and garbage need paid. The janitor either needs paid or someone volunteers their time (giving of their time). Sometimes repairs need done. All of this does need to be done as a matter of course and it is the people of that church that are responsible for getting it done or paid for.

Once "taking care of their own" is done then it is further desirable for funds to be gathered for the work of helping others.

I know this - before i tithed regularly we were broke. Reading Malachi we decided to tithe off the top of our increase and then "take care of our own" by buying groceries, rent, electric, etc. THEN the bills were paid as was possible. It was AMAZING to see the difference in how far the money stretched and how we were able, not ONLY take care of our own but, to pay our bills down easier.

Our pastor dislikes preaching on tithing/giving but he does it when the passages come up in our regular studies through the Bible. I think "nit-picking" the law vs NOt under the law is silly. The law shows us God's character and gives us structure for how He wants us to live. What other laws do we throw out? The New Testament has us not only in trouble for murder but for hate. Not only for adultery but for looking at a woman with lust. The New Testament goes a few steps FURTHER than the law - not throwing a blanket of grace over our neglect.

For those that are already inclined towards giving (like you, Linda), i don't think it matters. For those less inclined to give, if they aren't already giving the paltry 10th of their increase then i doubt they are managing their money in a way to give more.

Stepping off the soapbox now. :?