It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:32 pm

HSC AffiliatesClick here for our affiliate link to Christianbook.comDonate to HSC

Post subject: Joel Osteen and the flood.
PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 9:55 am 

Someone at church bro't up Osteen's church and how it should've been the first to open its doors for flood refugees. I've seen lots of comments to that effect online, also.

I may be one of the few that processes things differently BUT.... we simply don't know the whole story. We can't even form a decent opinion so why go bashing anyone or a church when there are plenty of prayers to be said and some opportunities to go and actually help others.

I can think of some reasons a church of that size might be slower to open its doors. It's probably dealt with more legal problems, maybe vandalism, or maybe false accusations. It will be interesting to hear, on the other side of this, how it goes.

On a practical note alone, "being a good steward" may cause many to consider the cost of opening the doors to people with animals, drug problems, anger issues, s** predators ....

Wondering how many that are dissing this church have opened their own doors to complete strangers.

Post subject: Re: Joel Osteen and the flood.
PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 11:09 am 

I don't like Joel Osteen or his church, I think he's a greedy fraud, But I don't know why everyone is singling him out to criticise when, like you said, they don't know the story. I saw some pictures online, showing their church had some flooding and saw where a member of their church said it wasn't safe. Don't know if that's all true, but it seems likely. Besides, if he was able to use this opportunity for good publicity, I'm sure he would have.

I think it's bizarre that so much good is being done and so many people are coming from all over to help, and instead of focusing on that, people focus on who isn't helping. Especially when it's Osteen. Really? The guy who thinks if you're not prosperous, it's because you don't have enough faith? We don't need his help, there are better places to go.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 1:31 pm 

I don't agree with any of his policies or whatever you want to call them. However, I saw photos on the news of the place and it was flooded. People were saying it was only the parking garage, but he said he had no idea how much higher the water would go. I agree. No one knew!

Also, if a person doesn't want to open their doors, then forcing them to takes away the whole spirit of it. Generosity isn't forced, that's like forcing a person to "volunteer".

They are targeting him because there's a lot of anger, and people need a target for that anger. He's a good one. Rich, white, religious, etc. All of those make good targets and he's all three.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 7:28 pm 

Tory wrote:

They are targeting him because there's a lot of anger, and people need a target for that anger. He's a good one. Rich, white, religious, etc. All of those make good targets and he's all three.

There are reports that a lot of people left before the storm. They did not have to wait for someone to tell them to leave. They shored up their homes, packed some stuff up and left.

I am keeping tabs on Irma. From different weather sites. I will make the decision to leave if it's anyway possible our area may be it's target.

"...with men this is impossible, but with God all things are possible." Matthew 19:26

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 7:51 pm 

I'm starting a new thread on Irma.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2017 8:01 am 

Tory wrote:
I don't agree with any of his policies or whatever you want to call them. However, I saw photos on the news of the place and it was flooded. People were saying it was only the parking garage, but he said he had no idea how much higher the water would go. I agree. No one knew!

Also, if a person doesn't want to open their doors, then forcing them to takes away the whole spirit of it. Generosity isn't forced, that's like forcing a person to "volunteer".

I read two different things about this...one....focus on yourself and your ability to help someone during Harvey, not Joe Osteen. Secondly, I also read somewhere where one of the emergency shelters said that they did not contact Osteen because his church is too big, right now, to become an emergency shelter. With it being so large, the risk is too high for rapes, molesters, etc. to go on a rampage. The emergency worker said smaller shelters are always preferred so they can keep on eye on everyone and their "comings and goings" sort of speak. They said that if they really need Osteen's help, they will ask.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2017 8:30 am 

StacyinTN wrote:
Tory wrote:

I read two different things about this...one....focus on yourself and your ability to help someone during Harvey, not Joe Osteen. Secondly, I also read somewhere where one of the emergency shelters said that they did not contact Osteen because his church is too big, right now, to become an emergency shelter. With it being so large, the risk is too high for rapes, molesters, etc. to go on a rampage. The emergency worker said smaller shelters are always preferred so they can keep on eye on everyone and their "comings and goings" sort of speak. They said that if they really need Osteen's help, they will ask.

Here is an article that I just read....https://www.hermancain.com/in-defense-of-joel-osteen-on-every-point

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2017 1:30 pm 

Thanks for the article Stacy. I'm glad everybody isn't jumping on the hate bandwagon. :)

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2017 5:07 pm 

Thats a good article, and the writer is spot on. Thanks Stacy!