It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:32 am

HSC AffiliatesClick here for our affiliate link to Christianbook.comDonate to HSC

Post subject: Genesis
PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 6:55 pm 

So, after our little discussion about Bill Nye the Science guy... it happens that my reading took me into Genesis 1. :)

This is how I see it:

In the beginning....
(1-5) it was empty, formless, cloaked in darkness, a desolate wasteland
God said, "Let there be light" - and God SEPARATED the light from the darkness. He called that light "day" and the darkness He called "night".

Now, that right there tells ME that each of the numbered days of creation was a period of light and dark. If some people choose to think that these periods were millions of years long, I guess that's their prerogative. Doesn't make sense to me. This "day" and "night" equaled "one day". And He saw it was GOOD. [Sunday]

(6-8) Then He *separated* the upper water from the lower water. I find it interesting that He *separated* the light from the dark and then *separated* the lower and upper waters. It sounds very "chemistry" oriented to me! :ugeek: Seems like it was rather a big job unless it needed time to separate properly or completely. Hmmm. That's all He got done that day and, did you notice?, He didn't say the second day's work was good! But, again, it was an evening and a morning - one of each, to make the second day. [Monday - we seem to agree that monday's are not all that great, eh?]

(9-13) He had the lower waters gather so the dry land would appear and called it "land" and "seas". These were "GOOD". Then, He *let* the land burst forth with every sort of grass and seed-bearing plant", trees with fruit - seeds that produced more of the same. And THAT was "GOOD". So, the third day's work was called "GOOD" twice! (The Jews call Tuesday "The Day of Double Blessing" and often get married on Tuesdays!)

(14-19) Bright lights *separated* the day from the night (which is different from the light and dark). These lights are signs to MARK seasons, DAYS, and years. Try as I might, I cannot get "years" out of a period of dark and light. This is also GOOD. [Wednesday]

(20-23) *LET* waters swarm with fish and other life and the skies fill with birds. (Aha! Here's where I tho't there might be some wiggle room for some evolution but...wait!) God *created* great sea creatures and EVERY sort of fish and bird. They were GOOD. Then, God *BLESSED* them to fill the earth. [Thursday]

(24- Well, here comes the Big Day! - 31) Friday was the 6th day and it's like God was putting the finishing touches on His creation. Of course we all know that this is the day the land animals were created, including the special creation of Man. This is also the first time (in the English) that we get a glimpse of God being a plural being! "Let US make man in OUR image". How cool is that!? He blessed Man and told him to have dominion over all living creatures and to fill the earth. (Now, the KJV says "replenish" but I don't see that in the Hebrew or other translations. I don't know where they got that.) This is where He gave us our vegan diet, too. Even animals ate plants instead of meat. :D And THIS day He declares "very good" or "excellent"!!!

Why does the chapter end there? It seems like it should end where chapter 2 verse 4 ends, or maybe even 3. Hmmm.

Gen 2:1-4
2:1 So the creation of the heavens and the earth and everything in them was completed. 2 On the seventh day, having finished his task, God rested from all his work. 3 And God blessed the seventh day and declared it holy, because it was the day when he rested from his work of creation.

4 This is the account of the creation of the heavens and the earth. NLT

Gen 2:1-3
2:1 Thus the heavens and the earth were finished, and all the host of them.
2 And on the seventh day God ended his work which he had made; and he rested on the seventh day from all his work which he had made.
3 And God blessed the seventh day, and sanctified it: because that in it he had rested from all his work which God created and made.

4 These are the generations of the heavens and of the earth when they were created, in the day that the LORD God made the earth and the heavens, KJV

Post subject: Re: Genesis
PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 8:33 pm 

Thanks for the vegan plug : )

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 8:46 pm 

"Replenish" used to mean "To fill", so it makes perfect sense to me! That is interesting about the Tuesday thing!

It's funny because my Bible study and the kid's Bible studies are both dealing with Genesis 1, and with the discussions on here, I feel like it's everywhere I turn, lol.

I had fun today with my kids, using dd's Bible study from A1G to discuss the similarities/differences between humans and monkeys/apes and showing how, while we do have similarities because we were created by the same God, we're clearly not related to animals. I asked questions like "Do monkeys have jobs?" "Do monkeys write books?" "Do monkeys go to church and say prayers?" They laughed and thought I was so silly. I was like "Well, if you think *I'M* silly....."

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 3:39 pm 

I am what many refer to as an "old earth creationist." I view Genesis 1 as figurative (the Hebrew used there is in poetic form like the Psalms and the only other passage written in a similar style in the Pentateuch is the victory song when they flee Egypt). Genesis 1 was written to discuss "Who" (God versus the pantheistic pagan gods around them, all of whom were actually created beings in their own mythologies) and was never intended to discuss "How" (He spoke and it happened) or "When."

I believe in micro-evolution (people/creatures get bigger and stronger over time - an observable fact), but I am skeptical regarding macro-evolution (people grow a second pair of legs so they can run faster - never seen it).

God didn't write the Bible for our purposes, He wrote it for His. Folks on either side of the "age of the earth" debate that read into it more than what it contains are making a mistake.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 5:34 pm 

I completely agree with you, Scott. That's why being moderator of the Bible Study board challenges me. I don't believe we're supposed to pick apart every word for proof of our own ideas.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 5:39 pm 

Carli, that's why I bring my tho'ts to the board, so others can challenge my thinking. I don't want "proof of my own ideas". But, I do want to learn to rightly divide the Word of God.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 6:05 pm 

How does deciding on how long Creation took bear fruit?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 6:14 pm 

If it does nothing for you then I can't explain why it matters. To *me* it is a matter of believing what the Word says.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 6:54 pm 

Let's play pretend... if there were no one pushing evolution, and creation was the accepted fact for all... would it then matter if the earth was "old" or if it were "new"?

This is a serious inquiry on my part.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 7:41 pm 

If creation was the accepted fact for all, I don't think the idea of an old earth would exist. That idea became popular because of evolutionists. Before that, the common belief was a young earth. That doesn't mean no one would ever wonder about it, but it wouldn't be a popular and widespread belief. I do believe billions of years is an evolutionary belief. That doesn't mean I think Christians who believe in billions of years are evolutionists or are not saved, but I think evolution and billions of years go hand and hand. They only make sense together. One came about because it was needed to explain the other. To me, it's part of the evolutionary mindset. I think it's an attack on the Bible and Genesis by evolutionists and I think every Christian should stand against it in support of Biblical authority.

To me, it's not so much "does it matter?", but what the Bible says/doesn't say. If it said or supported billions of years, I wouldn't have a problem with that. But obviously, I believe the Bible supports a young earth and doesn't allow an opening for the belief in billions of years.

So, that's my opinion and none of it is said in a mean way or to condemn.