It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 2:26 am

HSC AffiliatesClick here for our affiliate link to Christianbook.comDonate to HSC

Post subject: Challenges to my pov.
PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2017 8:02 pm 

I grew up in the church - a few different denominations but even before we started going to church my parents were not ones to swear. My mom drank with friends occasionally and she did smoke. She always dressed modestly, tho'. Once we really began going to church regularly my mom did quit drinking and smoking AND wearing pants!

Throughout my life i've had to figure out for myself where i stood on issues, what the Bible says on things from pierced ears and tattoos, what to wear, makeup or not, how to speak to others, drinking, etc.

I am getting tired of consistently being challenged in my thinking! LOL I know that *I* am not going to start swearing or smoking. But it really makes me sad to see the younger generation giving way to SO MANY things that i grew up with being taboo. OTOH, so much in MY generation lived by legalism and didn't do the outwardly naughty things but neither did they love God with all they had. :?

OTOH, how do you love God with all you have and do all those things? sigh I think of Peter and David and Paul and i .... wonder.

Post subject: Re: Challenges to my pov.
PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2017 8:26 pm 

No, you're not wrong, Sis. These things DO matter, and the folks that are challenging them are being rebellious against God.

That's not always *your* job to fix, but you're not wrong (at ALL!) to stand your ground and say, "No. This is wrong. The Bible forbids it. And sin interferes with our relationship with God."

I remember once (or twice) when I was young (I don't want to say "young and stupid" but I will allow you to draw your own conclusions :| ) I was debating a topic with an older member of the Church, and I was on the wrong side. He simply said to me, "Deep in your heart, you know what is right." And that was a lot more powerful argument than much "logical" debate would have been.