It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:50 pm

HSC AffiliatesClick here for our affiliate link to Christianbook.comDonate to HSC

Post subject: Hank Hanegraaff radio show being axed
PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 5:03 pm 

One can go from Baptist to Pentecostal to non-denominational to Presbyterian to Lutheran but you can not go to Eastern Orthodoxy or Catholicism because you are blacklisted. Poor Hank. I am sure nothing will slow down his writing career. Dh and I are anxiously waiting his next book.

The Baptist-run radio network is removing Bible Answer Man from the radio's line-up. Sad. The show woke up my dh's faith like nothing else, delving into Scripture.
http://bpnews.net/48683/bible-answer-ma ... -orthodoxy

"...with men this is impossible, but with God all things are possible." Matthew 19:26

Post subject: Re: Hank Hanegraaff radio show being axed
PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 5:20 pm 

Reading the coverage, the folks who fired him don't even seem to know what Orthodoxy IS.

Mr Hanegraaff will do better following what he knows is right, and trusting himself to God's care (as he seems to be doing) than giving in to those who would mistreat him for following God's call on his life.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 11:13 pm 

Are there Eastern Orthodoxy radio networks, with Baptist talk shows on them? I'm not sure why this is surprising, it makes sense to me.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 12:11 am 

Hope that didn't sound rude, but all those other denominations are protestant, but they consider a lot of things outside the protestant church, to be deal breakers. That's why it doesn't surprise me. My old Baptist church goes on annual mission trips to Catholic areas, and most don't consider it part of Christianity (I've already shared my views on it before and won't make that mistake again). Can't speak for the Orthodox church, since I don't think a lot of people even know much about it, but I imagine it's pretty much the same. I mean, there are some pretty big differences you can't get around, even when it comes to salvation. Not going to debate theology, that's just my opinion.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 9:29 am 

You said that very nicely, Lisa, and you do have a point.

But, most Protestant denominations - especially Baptists - say that they base their doctrine on the Bible, not on Creeds or Church history. At this point in his work, he has not violated the teaching of the Bible in any way. And, knowing Orthodoxy as I do, I can say I'd be very surprised - indeed shocked - if he taught anything on his show that contradicted the Bible. Orthodoxy does not contradict the Bible.

The article had a lot of *false* description of Orthodoxy that were given as reasons for firing him. I found that disturbing.

If they said, as Baptists our Creeds say A, and as Orthodox, your Creeds say B - and those two things are not compatible, I would have had to agree with their decision. And, if they said, "We don't hire anyone but Baptists," I would have had to agree with their decision (but I don't *think* that's the case). I could be wrong. I don't even think Mr. Hanegraff was a Baptist BEFORE he became Orthodox?

From the tone of the article, it SEEMED like the decision was based upon personal animosity against Orthodoxy - a personal animosity based on false assumptions - rather than on any disagreement. They didn't point out a single thing he had said on his show that they could find fault with!

And, yes, we have a small venue for radio online.
http://www.ancientfaith.com/

But, although the Orthodox Church worldwide is the second largest Christian group, here in America it is VERY small (around 2%), so we have extremely limited English Language offerings.

Besides that, we really DO want to get along with others and be part of American Christianity and not build a cultural moat around ourselves.

This seems to me to be one more time that all dialogue is cut off before anyone even talks - more of the "Political correctness" culture.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 9:17 am 

I think that Hank reached a point that me and my husband reached 6 years ago, at some point we realize the Bible alone is not enough.

"...with men this is impossible, but with God all things are possible." Matthew 19:26

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 12:14 pm 

Just to throw a monkey wrench in here... :mrgreen: .... seems to me that it would be hard to believe much of what he says since he regularly changes his mind! :geek:

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 12:23 pm 

Sis wrote:
Just to throw a monkey wrench in here... :mrgreen: .... seems to me that it would be hard to believe much of what he says since he regularly changes his mind! :geek:

Quite the contrary, Sis.

When I became Orthodox, I found Orthodoxy was more consistent with the Bible's teaching than I could imagine. It was the fulfillment of the Truth I had been discovering in the Bible all my life 8-) , rather than a contradiction of anything I had previously discovered to be True.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 12:56 pm 

Anna1111 wrote:
Sis wrote:

Quite the contrary, Sis.

When I became Orthodox, I found Orthodoxy was more consistent with the Bible's teaching than I could imagine. It was the fulfillment of the Truth I had been discovering in the Bible all my life 8-) , rather than a contradiction of anything I had previously discovered to be True.

I'm not talking about whether or not he's right or wrong. Think about how we judge politicians by their previous voting records. This guy's been all over the map, it seems. Being swayed by "every wind of doctrine".

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 1:06 pm 

I don't know him personally. To be honest, this news story is the first I'd ever heard of him!

But, I can say that I went thru a lot of denominations myself, with very little change to my understanding of doctrine.

Formerly, as a Protestant, I looked at denominations rather like political parties - thinking that there were none "perfect" but I should settle into one that had "pretty good" doctrine, - because they ALL had teachings that I felt weren't perfectly Biblical, community, and music, etc that I liked.

When I became Orthodox, I finally found one that really FIT what the Bible taught, and had the Truth - rather than just being "pretty good."

In my personal experience, going thru several denominations was no more "being swayed by every wind of doctrine" than were Abraham's wanderings in Canaan, or St. Paul's time "on the backside of the desert" a simple matter of not having a good road map! I feel that my wanderings were a case of how God led me where he wanted me to go.

Of course, I cannot speak for Mr. Hanegraaff, as I do not know him, but isn't it possible that his wanderings were similarly inspired?