It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 2:48 am

HSC AffiliatesClick here for our affiliate link to Christianbook.comDonate to HSC

Post subject: Family Christian Stores Going Out of Business
PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 12:45 pm 

http://www.fox19.com/story/34597716/fam ... 240-stores

Post subject: Re: Family Christian Stores Going Out of Business
PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 2:34 pm 

It's sad, but to be expected. Our bookstores - Christian and secular - have been going out of business for years. Hastings held on the longest but it is now gone, too. Amazon has made it too easy and cheap to order online.

Also, it seems to me that with the plethora of choices in everything from food to music groups we are losing our sensitivities. I know *I* haven't bo't a "Christian" book for quite some time. I have too many already and haven't even read them. But maybe that's just me. :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 2:48 pm 

The last time I went to one of their stores, they had dumbed down their selections pretty substantially. They had a lot of feel-good "chicken soup" sort of books, and lots of decorative items, but not much serious Theology. I was specifically looking for a Baby Bible Story book for a Baby Shower that day. They had quit carrying all the classics, and had a bunch of new stuff that was simply not well written. I couldn't find ANYTHING suitable for a gift, and ended up going (much to my disappointment) to Barnes & Noble.

Several years ago, I noticed that they were turning from books to interior design & knickknacks in a way that seemed counter productive.

Too many times in recent years, I've gone to a retail store to "buy local" and found that they have NO selection, and the shopkeepers have either told me, "Have you considered buying it off the internet?" or "We can order it in for you, and it should arrive in a week" (when Amazon or CBD would have it to me in 3 days). Usually I shop locally precisely BECAUSE I don't have the time to wait for an order.

I do order ANY book from the library first, to see how I like it, but judging by my collection, the huge majority are Christian books - and we have enuf books to start our own library! So I bought them somewhere :D

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 3:24 pm 

I'm thankful to say that our "local" (being 1 hour away!) Christian bookstore DOES carry fairly good theological books and they are knowledgeable about such things but even they have a difficult time getting some classics from distributors. :( There is way more decorative items and toys and such than is needful, imho, but there's a decent assortment of Christian living books along with the cutesy "Christian" romances and mysteries. I still haven't come across a hymnal with a spiral binding. At least not for under EIGHTY buck!