It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 1:16 am

HSC AffiliatesClick here for our affiliate link to Christianbook.comDonate to HSC

Post subject: My long day filming....
PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 3:39 pm 

8-) I was one of 25 official spectators and it was a 12 hour day! I found it to be common to sit around doing nothing for hours at a time so if you ever do this be prepared with snacks, phone/ipad, book, word searches, deck of cards... LOL I mostly talked with people or listened to others talking.

I wanted to do this to watch the process of making a film and i am glad i did it. I may do more cuz they're not done. I could work today - another 12 hours - but i work tomorrow. Ah well. It will be good to get rested up and HEALED up!

I tripped and fell and bit it HARD. I have a discolored fat lip and a couple of real light scrapes that sting. :cry: I might be on the blooper reel! :lol: It's a sports movie and the crowd was screaming so loudly that i got a headache - this went on for hours, of course! Part of the time we had to PRETEND to be yelling - lol. That's kind of hard actually.

Dh came for a couple hours of it but he couldn't get into screaming for a fake "win" so played on his ipad. Puh. Party pooper. I'm glad he was there, tho'. He bro't our dgs AND he warmed up and defrosted my car before i got out. He even waited for me! We came out a different door than the normal crowd so he didn't know where i went.

I signed an agreement not to disclose much about the movie itself. I did enjoy watching the producers, director, writers, director's assistants, camera guys, set decorators, etc.

Saturday we started at noon and didn't get a food "break" until 6:30! I was brave, tho', and went over to the food cart and helped myself. I figured they could tell me no if they wanted. They didn't tell us to bring food and i had had breakfast at 9 and no lunch so i was HUNGRY. It was all good. No one said anything. The water bottles were there, too, and i know they wanted us to stay hydrated. I felt comfortable doing it because of the previous filming day where they kept telling us to drink water. :mrgreen: Other spectators asked where i got the water so i got four more waters and passed them out.

I can say that the crew works very hard and very long hours and in horrible weather! They've been very nice, if not always thoughtful. I never heard a grumble! It was SEVEN degrees when we shot some of it! Some of them "wear more than one hat" but they certainly seemed to enjoy each other and their jobs.

The "real actors" keep more to themselves when possible but they weren't the most interesting ones to talk to anyway. ;) I was more interested in the interaction between one actor's family and the crew - they were very welcoming and happy to have them there. They even invited one of the brothers to join in but he didn't want to.

I met a guy that's been in Zombieland four times (so far) and learned about his young family and life goals. I met a few "millennials" and a few comedians that were funnier than the hired comedian - hehehe. I've met a Robert Redford, Jim Carrey, Genghis Kahn, (not the real people but that's how i remember them). ;)

That's kind of the general overview. As a side effect, i now notice the extras more! LOL I was watching a show and noticed the same extra go by twice in just a couple of seconds! :mrgreen:

Post subject: Re: My long day filming....
PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 4:26 pm 

Sounds like it was lots of fun for you : )

You weren't actually out IN the 7 degree temps, were you? :shock:

Cool report - since this interests you so much - sounds like a great time for you!

When I was young I had several friends who were extras in a a few Vietnam war movies & other movies. (Hamburger Hill? I can't remember for sure?) and a Chuck Norris movie (again - I don't remember the title - but I DO remember that they all greatly admired Mr. Norris after the filming!). We were in a popular place for filming movies about the Vietnam era.

I never really wanted to be IN a movie-
but enjoyed hearing my friends tell about it : )

I think I'd be like your DH - I wouldn't have the patience to pretend to scream for a fake win. I don't even really scream for real wins!

Post subject: Re: My long day filming....
PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 5:37 pm 

Anna1111 wrote:
Sounds like it was lots of fun for you : )

You weren't actually out IN the 7 degree temps, were you? :shock:

Cool report - since this interests you so much - sounds like a great time for you!

When I was young I had several friends who were extras in a a few Vietnam war movies & other movies. (Hamburger Hill? I can't remember for sure?) and a Chuck Norris movie (again - I don't remember the title - but I DO remember that they all greatly admired Mr. Norris after the filming!). We were in a popular place for filming movies about the Vietnam era.

I never really wanted to be IN a movie-
but enjoyed hearing my friends tell about it : )

I think I'd be like your DH - I wouldn't have the patience to pretend to scream for a fake win. I don't even really scream for real wins!

Well, i did have to walk in the 7 degree temps but only to the restaurant and then back when we were done. About 5 people, or 6, had to go in and out for each take, plus the crew. They would always tell them as soon as they could come in! But two of the main actors had to stay outside until their entrance. Brrrrr.

I don't think i ever tho't about being IN a movie until i was in my 50's. I liked being in the audience on a set, tho', and i'd often think about how it would be to watch certain scenes shot on different shows. Maybe it was when Dante's Peak was filmed around here that i started thinking of the possibilities. I wondered how you heard about it before it was filmed and stuff. This just fell into place so perfectly it felt like a God thing. ;)