It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:02 pm

HSC AffiliatesClick here for our affiliate link to Christianbook.comDonate to HSC

Post subject: Millenials and the evangelicals.
PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2017 10:13 pm 

http://www.charismanews.com/opinion/486 ... the-gospel

What do you think of this article?

Post subject: Re: Millenials and the evangelicals.
PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2017 2:00 pm 

This is the same article Stacy posted the other day : )

The author makes a few good points - like this:

"In our jampacked lifestyles, parents have treated Sunday school as they do softball or ballet class—drop off the kids for an hour then pick them up and hope they learned something."

But, overall, I'd say she missed it.

I meet VERY FEW Middle Aged Christians (that's us, guys) - of any denomination - who know what the Bible says. Most of the people I talk to have never read the Bible through - not even once. I know even fewer who've read it thru the 20 or so times it takes to BEGIN to plumb its depths.

Most don't pray as a family, or spend time in prayer alone.

Most don't get involved in Church.

Most are more concerned about their kid's GPA, SAT scores, sports stats, or social life than they are with their Spiritual life.

When Children's groups in Churches plan events, they have to first consider the soccer practice schedule and the play practice schedule. When ADULT groups meet - they have to consider when the Superbowl is playing and when the Mall is having a big sale. OR NO ONE WILL COME!

Our Church has weekday morning services. What percentage of people think that Church is more important than their kid's math class that day, do you suppose?

Homeschoolers say, "I do Bible study with my kids at the end of the school day, if we have time, but we often don't"

Instead, they read internet articles about religion now and then, or go watch a "Christian movie" We're offered solid food, but we opt for Cotton Candy and think we've eaten well!

We set for our kids the example of giving God our leftovers, then blame a "liberal agenda in the Church" when they reject the Faith.

No - it's not them - it's US.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2017 7:11 pm 

Anna1111 wrote:
This is the same article Stacy posted the other day : )

The author makes a few good points - like this:

"In our jampacked lifestyles, parents have treated Sunday school as they do softball or ballet class—drop off the kids for an hour then pick them up and hope they learned something."

But, overall, I'd say she missed it.

I meet VERY FEW Middle Aged Christians (that's us, guys) - of any denomination - who know what the Bible says. Most of the people I talk to have never read the Bible through - not even once. I know even fewer who've read it thru the 20 or so times it takes to BEGIN to plumb its depths.

Most don't pray as a family, or spend time in prayer alone.

Most don't get involved in Church.

Most are more concerned about their kid's GPA, SAT scores, sports stats, or social life than they are with their Spiritual life.

When Children's groups in Churches plan events, they have to first consider the soccer practice schedule and the play practice schedule. When ADULT groups meet - they have to consider when the Superbowl is playing and when the Mall is having a big sale. OR NO ONE WILL COME!

Our Church has weekday morning services. What percentage of people think that Church is more important than their kid's math class that day, do you suppose?

Homeschoolers say, "I do Bible study with my kids at the end of the school day, if we have time, but we often don't"

Instead, they read internet articles about religion now and then, or go watch a "Christian movie" We're offered solid food, but we opt for Cotton Candy and think we've eaten well!

We set for our kids the example of giving God our leftovers, then blame a "liberal agenda in the Church" when they reject the Faith.

No - it's not them - it's US.

Weeelllllll..... I agree with almost all you said. :mrgreen: Could we do better? Absolutely! Do we have to do it "all right" in order to have our kids remain in the faith? Uhm.... no. We can only do the best we can - and that's where the rubber meets the road. I am older than most of ya'll and BTDT. My poor grandkids (and their parents) really don't get why we choose church over sports and school concerts but we do - which means they go to church with us. I really DON"T care about their academic records as long as they aren't trouble-makers and i've always said "I don't care if you're happy, i just want you to have a relationship with Jesus!" ;) (Instead of the normal parental "I just want you to be happy".) We do pray together, eat meals together, study the Word together.

And still, they are falling away as they get out on their own. :( I pray that it is an experimental stage or something and their hearts will turn to (or back to) the Lord. My heart breaks continually over choices i see my grands making as they become adults, even tho' their hearts are loving. I have one dd and one dil that actively live for Christ.

I don't know what other churches do. I don't think our area fits the norm but STILL the kids are falling away. I hope and pray that we are gearing up for a revival! What a blessing that would be!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2017 12:06 am 

I think Anna is right that this problem didn't just spring up out of nowhere with millenials, it's been building for a long time. I think it's not just the parents, but all the pastors/churches who don't preach about anything of substance and don't convict people of sin. It's not "too many rules" that drives people away, it's the empty sermons and weak gospel, that's been reduced to the point where it is insulting to everyone who hears it.

I'm reading a book that a church friend lent to me, called A Pastor's Sketches: Conversations with Anxious Souls Concerning the Way of Salvation, by Ichabod Spencer. I am continuously amazed at the preachers of old and the way they preached and talked to people. They showed the same concern for people's souls, that Jesus did in his teachings in the Bible. These days, good luck finding a pastor who has anything to offer a searching soul. Back then, the world was the world and church was church. If you wanted to live in the world, you stayed in the world. If you wanted to be saved, you knew a church would have what you were looking for and that's where you went to find it. Now, people go there and find out it's no different from the world, so why bother? People may dress a little nicer and speak a little kinder, but talk to them and you will find out their faith is surface deep, talk to the pastor and you will find they have no actual concern for your soul, they just want to have you say a prayer and send you on your way, more confused than ever. Pastor's used to clear up the confusion, not create it. They didn't treat the young people who grew up in the church, as Christians by default, they pursued them and sought them out to ask about the state of their soul and counseled them as much as necessary. They didn't shy away from anything, and now, I've talked with pastors who would probably faint if I came to them with a concern. They used to be used by God, and now most of them don't even know Him. It's no wonder millennials are disenchanted.

Also, I had to gawk at the article's list of great evangelical leaders. They could have done much better. Pat Robertson? Really? But I am encouraged by the young people who are following people like Paul Washer and Tim Conway. The I'll Be Honest ministry has many young followers and preachers. They are beginning to return to the old wise teachings and bring the substance back.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2017 12:24 am 

;)
LisaTX wrote:
I think Anna is right that this problem didn't just spring up out of nowhere with millenials, it's been building for a long time. I think it's not just the parents, but all the pastors/churches who don't preach about anything of substance and don't convict people of sin. It's not "too many rules" that drives people away, it's the empty sermons and weak gospel, that's been reduced to the point where it is insulting to everyone who hears it.

I'm reading a book that a church friend lent to me, called A Pastor's Sketches: Conversations with Anxious Souls Concerning the Way of Salvation, by Ichabod Spencer. I am continuously amazed at the preachers of old and the way they preached and talked to people. They showed the same concern for people's souls, that Jesus did in his teachings in the Bible. These days, good luck finding a pastor who has anything to offer a searching soul. Back then, the world was the world and church was church. If you wanted to live in the world, you stayed in the world. If you wanted to be saved, you knew a church would have what you were looking for and that's where you went to find it. Now, people go there and find out it's no different from the world, so why bother? People may dress a little nicer and speak a little kinder, but talk to them and you will find out their faith is surface deep, talk to the pastor and you will find they have no actual concern for your soul, they just want to have you say a prayer and send you on your way, more confused than ever. Pastor's used to clear up the confusion, not create it. They didn't treat the young people who grew up in the church, as Christians by default, they pursued them and sought them out to ask about the state of their soul and counseled them as much as necessary. They didn't shy away from anything, and now, I've talked with pastors who would probably faint if I came to them with a concern. They used to be used by God, and now most of them don't even know Him. It's no wonder millennials are disenchanted.

Also, I had to gawk at the article's list of great evangelical leaders. They could have done much better. Pat Robertson? Really? But I am encouraged by the young people who are following people like Paul Washer and Tim Conway. The I'll Be Honest ministry has many young followers and preachers. They are beginning to return to the old wise teachings and bring the substance back.

Excuse me? Didn't you say you are not a believer? ;)

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2017 1:13 am 

Sis wrote:
;)
LisaTX wrote:

Excuse me? Didn't you say you are not a believer? ;)

Yes, but I don't understand the reason for your question.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2017 2:14 pm 

"Weeelllllll..... I agree with almost all you said. :mrgreen: Could we do better? Absolutely! Do we have to do it "all right" in order to have our kids remain in the faith? Uhm.... no. We can only do the best we can - and that's where the rubber meets the road."

I like the stories of Eli & Samuel here. They BOTH had kids who fell away from the Faith. BUT - God reprimanded Eli severely - because he never corrected his Sons. In Contrast (and I realize an argument from silence is very imperfect) God is never recorded as reprimanding Samuel for HIS Sons.

Only God knows (we don't even know ourselves!) which category we fall into. :|

The result is not our responsibility - but our FAITHFULNESS most definitely IS! What I'm taking issue with (above) is an extreme lack of Faithfulness on the part of our Christian culture.

I know more than one Clergyman (of more than one denomination) who has chosen to skip Church to attend a child's graduation. Rather than complain to (or boycott) the university for violating their faith by having commencement during Church time, they go and applaud for it! :shock: And, I should mention, that they're among the *better* - more Bible-preaching and apparently devout - Clergy that I know! :cry:

And, just for the record, Sis, I'm not convinced of by your extreme age :roll: ;) I know EXACTLY how old you are! I'm not packing you off to the old folks home yet! :lol: :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 12:19 am 

I spent 6 hours sitting and talking with 2 millennials friday. :) The guy did NOT fit the description but i think the girl might've. I'll give her some space because she was petty sick and that might've made her come across more self-absorbed and shallow than she really is. ;)

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 12:24 am 

Did you mean this to go on the OTHER millennials thread - the one about not eating cereal? Or am I just confused :?

(wouldn't be a first for me ;) )

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 12:30 am 

Anna1111 wrote:
Did you mean this to go on the OTHER millennials thread - the one about not eating cereal? Or am I just confused :?

(wouldn't be a first for me ;) )

Uhm.... yeah. :roll: I'm so rummy after my long day of filming last night! LOL