It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:48 am

HSC AffiliatesClick here for our affiliate link to Christianbook.comDonate to HSC

Post subject: Where do you draw the line with secularism
PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2016 11:59 pm 

Yesterday I was browsing through random homeschool stuff and I ended up reading an article on speed reading. At the time I thought it was really good, but later on I realized the blog was run/written by secular homeschoolers. Secularism always leaves a bad taste in my mouth.
Should it?
Even though it's good information, something about it coming from people who are homeschooling so they can force atheism into their children is hard for me to deal with.

Edit: I was referring to this post on speed reading.

Last edited by KopaTropa on Wed Nov 02, 2016 6:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: Where do you draw the line with secularism
PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2016 1:52 am 

Hi Kopa Tropa! I don't think I've "met" you but i see you have now posted 6x. :) Welcome!

I think you pose an interesting question; one that probably has no real answer. ;)

"Secularism" is, by nature, included in life. Math, for instance, isn't very "spiritual" and yet, it is! Same with so many things. There is great information in some secular publications. Whether or not you choose to wade thru it and spit out the bones (or gristle, or fat, or whatever you want to call it) is up to you.

I know my dh is very much less likely to read something by a secular author than i am, however... i am getting there myself. The older i get the more i gravitate towards things that are closer to God rather than wading thru the garbage.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2016 8:08 am 

You're absolutely right, April! It SHOULD leave a "bad taste in your mouth"

Jesus said, He who is not with Me is against me.

Secularists try to pretend there's some "neutral" position - but there's not. If they intentionally exclude God, sooner or later you'll also observe animosity there.

My general policy is this: I don't PAY people to promote secularism if I can avoid it. I don't buy new materials from secularist publishers as a general rule. BUT, if DD gets a gift from someone, I *might* let her read it & discuss it with her as we go (as was the case a few months ago with a Judy Blume book that ridiculed conservative homeschoolers) If she finds a book at the thrift store that is by a secularist, I *might* consider it for her to read with discussion. But I'm not going to go on their website and pay them $19.95 or $49.99 to promote their agenda. Especially when there are lots of good Christian publishers out there struggling to make of go of it with the same topics for sale. (BTW - the library buyers are trying to freeze out Christian publishers, at least in my city - and giving ALL our PUBLIC monies to Secularists and non-Christians - so the Christians really NEED our money!)

On a side note, "Speed Reading" is a bit of a scam. It is skimming. The human eye CANNOT process more than about 800 wpm - after that you're skipping some to go fast : )

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2016 2:38 pm 

Anna1111 wrote:

Secularists try to pretend there's some "neutral" position - but there's not. If they intentionally exclude God, sooner or later you'll also observe animosity there.

My general policy is this: I don't PAY people to promote secularism if I can avoid it. I don't buy new materials from secularist publishers as a general rule. BUT, if DD gets a gift from someone, I *might* let her read it & discuss it with her as we go (as was the case a few months ago with a Judy Blume book that ridiculed conservative homeschoolers) If she finds a book at the thrift store that is by a secularist, I *might* consider it for her to read with discussion. But I'm not going to go on their website and pay them $19.95 or $49.99 to promote their agenda. Especially when there are lots of good Christian publishers out there struggling to make of go of it with the same topics for sale. (BTW - the library buyers are trying to freeze out Christian publishers, at least in my city - and giving ALL our PUBLIC monies to Secularists and non-Christians - so the Christians really NEED our money!)

On a side note, "Speed Reading" is a bit of a scam. It is skimming. The human eye CANNOT process more than about 800 wpm - after that you're skipping some to go fast : )

April? Who's April? LOL Did i miss something?

Anyways... i do agree with Anna on the supporting of Christian materials and NOT supporting things that don't glorify God. So few seem to realize they are "casting their vote" when they go to a website, go to a movie, buy a book, or show up to an event, EVEN if their intention is simply information or curiosity.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2016 2:49 pm 

Sis wrote:
Anna1111 wrote:

April? Who's April? LOL Did i miss something?

:D :D :D

Well, *I'm* not April And *You're* not April - so she MUST be our new friend that we're talking with! ;) :ugeek:

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2016 3:28 pm 

:P Well, *I* was talking to Kopa Tropa. :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2016 4:04 pm 

Sis wrote:
:P Well, *I* was talking to Kopa Tropa. :mrgreen:

Doesn't "April" sound SOOO much nicer? :)

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2016 2:09 am 

Thanks for the replies! There's a lot going on, so I'm not going to try and quote anything :P

I appreciate the feedback... I'm going to try to avoid reading blogs by secular readers. But, if I stumble across one (and it's free) I guess it doesn't hurt to glean knowledge if I can... I dunno... like I said, bad taste sometimes.

You can call me either :oops: :mrgreen:

Interesting about the speed reading though, I've been looking into it a bit and personally think I've noticed a bit of a benefit. Maybe I'll report back later and let you guys know.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2016 6:43 am 

I DO read some secular blogs - but the ones that leave a "bad taste" as you say - get taken off my subscription list. Remember that many blogs are monetized, and they get advertising dollars when you click. There's one blog that is by a publisher of a homeschool secular curriculum - they always lure me in with an interesting topic - only to find out "oh, it's THEM again!" and they're trying to sell their dreadful secularist junk :roll:

With the speed reading, it may well help if you read at fewer than 800 wpm, because it can help you focus. But, it cannot really take you past that threshold. That's not to say that skilled skimming isn't a good skill to have : ) Also, speed reading was a huge rage in the 70's - so I imagine the library has lots of good old books on the topic : )

It's really fun having you on here, April : )

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2016 10:52 am 

Yes, nice to have fresh meat..... er, uh... new blood on the boards! LOL Do you two know each other from somewhere?