It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:32 pm

HSC AffiliatesClick here for our affiliate link to Christianbook.comDonate to HSC

Post subject: Discussion about entertainment vs truth.
PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2016 12:20 pm 

During potluck yesterday there was a discussion about entertainment vs truth. Bible "cartoons" came up but within the discussion other movies, Bible stories and such were included.

I think there is a fine line and i sometimes cross it because it's like playing "snake" with a rope. (Did you guys do that?) Here's the line but you have to avoid the ever writhing "rope" that's over that line.

How much fiction is in our Bible stories? Just having illustrations lends itself to interpretation rather than fact but who wants to have it all in black and white? :ugeek: (Think of the misrepresentations of Christ thru the years!)

Of course MY mind went to "the Christmas story". I am starting that series for kid's class this week. BTW - does anybody still do a Jesse Tree?

Post subject: Re: Discussion about entertainment vs truth.
PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2016 5:24 pm 

I think the critical thing is knowing the Bible BETTER than you know the "entertainment" version. After that, I think the entertainment versions can be quite helpful for some folks.

For instance, the "Jesus Movie" animated film (2012) is amazingly good for kids, and pretty true to the Scriptures. But that scene where Peter's MIL gets up and offers to make them Cheese Knishes is pure fiction. So is the scene with the bunnies.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d-fsT6-nIOY

I think to the degree that "Entertainment" helps us meditate on the story, it is helpful. When it distracts from the story, or intentionally deceives about vital points, then it can be a huge problem.