It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:17 pm

HSC AffiliatesClick here for our affiliate link to Christianbook.comDonate to HSC

Post subject: Politics and Bible study
PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2016 5:03 pm 

I may be weird, but when I go to a Bible study prepared after studying the chapters and having spent all week answering questions, I do not want the discussion to center on the current political happenings. I stared at the discussion leader, who sadly, was engrossed in the topic and even added her two cents. :(

Since I paid for the study materials, I will just do them on my own. Maybe I will show up 'late' and just be there for the lecture. The lecturer was awesome!

"...with men this is impossible, but with God all things are possible." Matthew 19:26

Post subject: Re: Politics and Bible study
PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2016 5:57 pm 

In the first class of our Bible study we were told there would be NO talking about current politics. Of course if some major prophecy were fulfilled, or something like that, that would be different. Nothing about the election is discussed nor any other off-topic chit chat. That happens after class if at all.

Post subject: Re: Politics and Bible study
PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2016 6:20 pm 

I guess it depends what you mean by "politics"

If you mean, "let's trash candidate A" then I agree.

But, if you mean that we should discuss "Thou Shalt not Murder" and pretend abortion doesn't exist, or discuss Leviticus 18 and pretend that there are no recent national events that have anything to do with it, or that we as Christians have no duty to make decisions that line up with the Bible & not with pop culture, then I wouldn't agree. In those cases, I DO want "politics" discussed.

Too often, people shrink from discussing Biblical morals because they say "We shouldn't discuss politics" - I don't think *that* type of prohibition on "politics" is consistent with Christian doctrine/Biblica. Quite the contrary.

I wish we had MORE discussion of these types of issues in the Church, not less.

But, yes, if it's an off topic political tirade, I agree! : )