It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:02 am

HSC AffiliatesClick here for our affiliate link to Christianbook.comDonate to HSC

Post subject: Re: Alpha
PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 7:29 pm 

I don't know anything about the program, but I wouldnt go off of endorsements by Rick Warren or Joyce Meyers. Billy Graham, I probably would. I don't know who the other people are. Like Pam said, do your own research. That's what I'm doing with our new Bible study. Finding out all I can about it, trying to dig up dirt on the writers, editors of it (haven't found any dirt so far). Most of all, just keep your ears open for anything along the way that sounds fishy and don't be afraid to question it.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 7:36 pm 

I don't know most of the endorsers mentioned. I have great respect for Billy Graham, but he often supports most anything that encourages more involved Christianity - he's not necessarily endorsing every doctrinal point.

To me, it seems that the program has some Charismatic messages. Non-Charismatic Christians may find that troubling. I am not Charismatic as such, but still took a lot of good away from the program (as is often the case, the Orthodox Church takes a "none of the above" approach in the debates between Western Christians - but that's not a discussion for this thread).

I did not attend the follow-up weekends in which the Charismatic elements were stressed more, so cannot speak to that.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 12:38 am 

Anna1111 wrote:
I don't know most of the endorsers mentioned. I have great respect for Billy Graham, but he often supports most anything that encourages more involved Christianity - he's not necessarily endorsing every doctrinal point.

To me, it seems that the program has some Charismatic messages. Non-Charismatic Christians may find that troubling. I am not Charismatic as such, but still took a lot of good away from the program (as is often the case, the Orthodox Church takes a "none of the above" approach in the debates between Western Christians - but that's not a discussion for this thread).

I did not attend the follow-up weekends in which the Charismatic elements were stressed more, so cannot speak to that.

We are only meeting for the 10 weeks, so we will not have the Charismatic elements, either.