It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:05 am

HSC AffiliatesClick here for our affiliate link to Christianbook.comDonate to HSC

Post subject: Working at the church.
PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2016 1:43 pm 

Are any of you involved in the workings of your church? Cleaning bathrooms, doing finances, decorating, teaching sunday school?

I remember when we started going to church (when I was young). My parents dove in. Dad became an usher and soon a deacon. Mom was busy in the missions group and evangelism after her near death experience.

As an adult I've taught sunday school, done some cleaning, been on the finance committee and oversee our seder service.

We just had a women's meeting, something we haven't had for a long time! It seems like the time has come when the women are getting antsy to do some church projects. I mentioned finding new place to store the seder things and others mentioned cleaning out other rooms, having a yard sale, getting new curtains in the sunday school room, shampooing pews and carpets and setting up a visitation schedule! It's like an explosion! :mrgreen: I'd like to see a "newsletter" of sorts put together but I don't think I'd be good at it. I might start one and try to get input until maybe some of the ladies that didn't make it decide it's something they could do. (It would just be a simple flyer of things going on that month or something.)

Post subject: Re: Working at the church.
PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2016 3:46 am 

If you have a tech friendly group, you could have a blog for your ladies' group instead of a newsletter. Blogger is very easy to use and free (it's no harder than fb - probably easier)

I did more volunteering when I was single. Now, I mainly serve in a "substitute" capacity.

I've done teaching, bookstore work, a tiny bit of cooking ("help" not lead cook!), kids' group, VBS, Session (like the Church Board) and Council (also like the Church board), counting offerings, Camp night "guard" (chaperone for the kids at night), rummage sale, brass polishing, bulletin folding, and who-knows-what-else. I tend to be a dabbler, so while the list of involvments is long, only a small handful of the jobs have been long-term commitments.

I haven't done so many of the jobs you mention doing - the ones that are necessary for the building to function/be clean. I feel a little guilty about that - but I fear that with my lack of social graces I'll offend someone for sure! :roll: :oops:

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2016 3:31 pm 

I've always been active in ministry somewhere in church. Always in kids ministry since I had kids in the program. As my kids got older I continued to work in kids. Up until two months ago, I taught 2 year olds for 10+ years. I oversaw the team of 2s teachers, did the scheduling, found new team members, trained them, dealt with parents.

I've also been a part of our church's cleaning team that rotates teams every 6 weeks. I've served in our VBS camps and also at our teen camp. Often I have done photography and video for those events. I've babysat the children of camp counselors so they can be with the campers. I've helped organize various events at church and helped serve at numerous dinners. I'm also a MOPS (Mothers of Preschoolers) mentor which is a ministry of my church.

About a year and a half ago I joined the staff as the administrative assistant so I'm definitely more involved. In April I stepped out of 2s and into leading a ladies bible study before the worship service. I'm also going to begin developing our women's ministry beyond the occasional events or studies we currently have.

There's a place for everyone to serve in every church. Just ask for something to do and I'm sure there's a place that needs someone. We are regularly seeking new volunteers for things like our cleaning team, ushers, lawn team, welcome team that greets visitors, kids ministry.

Check out smore.com. I use them on a regular basis to make online flyers that are easy to share on FB, on email, etc. They also make great newsletters.

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2016 10:27 am 

I imagine I'll be stepping it up with the kids gone. My mom shouldn't be as difficult to work around, right? ;)

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2016 12:57 pm 

Sis wrote:
I imagine I'll be stepping it up with the kids gone. My mom shouldn't be as difficult to work around, right? ;)

:lol: :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2016 7:51 pm 

Sis wrote:
Are any of you involved in the workings of your church? Cleaning bathrooms, doing finances, decorating, teaching sunday school?

Used to be way more involved in our previous church, they were VERY organized and good at involving every abled body into service.

I was lastly president of the woman's group and led a weekly devotional. I miss that so much. Loved helping with shut-ins and preparing food for funerals, luncheons, etc. Dh taught Sunday School and ran the coffee service.

I do not feel like I am a part of the life of the church I am in currently. Not for lack of trying, been two years sorting through cliquish groups. (There are two ethnic groups, neither of which I belong to.) I do volunteer with a group collecting donations for pro-life organizations. I sort and deliver them.

Edited to add, we are here because of the pastor, he is 60ish. When he retires, we may retire from 'church' also and just serve on ministries that share the Gospel.

"...with men this is impossible, but with God all things are possible." Matthew 19:26