It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:42 pm

HSC AffiliatesClick here for our affiliate link to Christianbook.comDonate to HSC

Post subject: Backsliding
PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2016 11:01 am 

http://www.gty.org/Blog/B160127

Post subject: Re: Backsliding
PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2016 12:15 am 

I didn't agree with much of the article, honestly. Reformed teaching such as this really leaves my heart cold toward God. Mainly, my problem is the basis of judgment that underlies what was covered in this piece of writing. It's not (and never is) my concern as to whether or not someone is a "true" Christian, whether or not someone is "backslidden" (whether or not they have something to repent of)) and whether or not they were ever "true Christians" in the first place. I have more than enough to focus on in my own life when it comes to repentance. I was impatient with my kids, I often eat too much, I judged the decisions people made about their own lives, I didn't do my morning prayers. These and many others are things I'm working on because repentance (mine) is what my life is about. I can't go through life without dealing with these things -- it's dishonoring to the God who saved and saves me.

In this particular case, I liken it to the prodigal son. Was he a true son in the first place? Of course. Did he fall away? Yes. Did he come back? Yes. He repented. Did his father welcome him home with open arms? Absolutely.

I know they use Bible verses to back their position, but another person could use other Bible verses to back a differing belief on this (and almost any) matter. We see it happen all the time. Anyway, since it was posted, and I clicked the link, just thought I'd give my opinion.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2016 12:57 pm 

I agree with the article and wish I had read one like it years ago, because I lived for many years in confusion, always hearing that living a continuous life of sin was ok, you're still slaved, but just backslidden. I think an article like this should cause self reflection, more than judgement of others. I do think it's an important issue to address, though, because God's character is at stake. As the article points out, a person who says they are a Christian, yet lives an unredeemed life, makes God look powerless and a liar, because he claims to regenerate, yet the person remains unchanged. He looks like a Father, who does not know how to discipline and lets his kids run wild. This iThiss how I felt about God for many years and the rest of the world is not fooled, either. They see God as weak and powerless. Sadly, most people want Him that way, because they want to be in control.

I do think there's a gray area, like the article states. True Christians can go through periods of rebellion, but how far is too far? I don't know and no one knows everything. But there is something wrong if someone claims to be a Christian, yet lives a life identical to a non-Christian. They need to examine themselves and they need to be lovingly told to examine themselves, not comforted and told things like "It's ok, no one is perfect." If I say I love God, I should not live like I hate Him.

One question I always had, was where does the Holy Spirit go when someone lives in perpetual sin? The only answer, is that He was never there to begin with. Surely, He doesn't go into seclusion and hide, if He's really there, He guides the person to repentance

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2016 2:36 pm 

LisaTX wrote:
One question I always had, was where does the Holy Spirit go when someone lives in perpetual sin? The only answer, is that He was never there to begin with. Surely, He doesn't go into seclusion and hide, if He's really there, He guides the person to repentance

http://www.gotquestions.org/Holy-Spirit-leave.html

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2016 3:35 pm 

StacyinTN wrote:
LisaTX wrote:

http://www.gotquestions.org/Holy-Spirit-leave.html

I'm talking about a life of constant slavery to sin, though. No evidence anywhere of a love for God, no repentance, etc. While there is a gray area surrounding how far a Christian can slide, I trust that for the sake of God's character and His love for His people, He doesn't let them go too far before He corrects them. And based on what I've heard from the godly believers I know, this has been their experience.

I know from my own experience, for the many years I called myself a Christian, I always wondered where the Holy Spirit was to guide me, because He sure wasn't doing His job and I felt that void. I knew something was wrong, but kept pushing it down and tried to tell myself otherwise. It all made sense when I found out that the reason I saw/felt no evidence of His existence in me, was because He wasn't there and never had been. The Bible says to examine ourselves and I did that over and over, but because we sometimes don't want to face the obvious, we listen to the people around us who give us false reassurance and tell us what we want to hear, instead of what we need to hear.