It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 10:49 am

HSC AffiliatesClick here for our affiliate link to Christianbook.comDonate to HSC

Post subject: Re: Do you/your church believe in the Trinity?
PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2016 12:15 pm 

LisaTX wrote:
I agree with what's been said already. I have a Bible study that describes the Trinity and has all the Bible verses for it and everything. It gives examples of where God, Jesus, and the Holy Spirit are used interchangeably. Like in one verse, it says God lives in us and in another verse, it says the Holy Spirit lives in us. The baptism of Jesus, is probably the most obvious revelation of the Trinity, to me.

And, I do value the great preachers of old, and none of them would have ever denied the trinity. It's always been a core doctrine of Christianity. I'm glad you realized the deceptiveness of that website. I was pulled into a website years ago, that taught that basically everything was heresy. They were right about some of the things, but their whole basis was very "off" and I later realized that it was very misguided and just plain wrong. It's one of the reasons I am so wary of the sources of things I read and I try to stick to people/websites that I feel have proven trustworthy.

I'm sure that's very wise, Lisa. My favorite passage is John 1:1-3 "In the beginning was the Word and the Word was WITH God and the Word WAS GOD. The same was in the beginning with God. All things were MADE by Him (the Word) and without Him nothing was made that was made." And *who* made everything? God!

I challenge myself to not shy away from things that differ from my opinion or belief. I think of other religions/cults that don't allow their people to even listen to others of different beliefs and I don't want to be afraid of the falsehoods out there; I have the Truth. I also know I am not above being deceived! I'm sure dh could spit out several Trinity verses off the top of his head and we'll probably talk about it later today when we drive to dgs's basketball game. :)

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2016 12:32 pm 

"I challenge myself to not shy away from things that differ from my opinion or belief."

I know that's a popular perspective nowadays, but I'd encourage you to re-think it, Sis. Opinion is one thing, but the clear teaching of Christianity is not an opinion, but a fact. It seems to me that the Bible forbids any dialogue at all with false religions - to even mention the names of their false gods is forbidden. I struggle with this, too, as I have friends of other faiths, and I don't think the Bible forbids witnessing to them. But, to "give them a hearing" in the sense of being open minded about their teachings or debating, I see as dangerous territory in light of Scriptures.

If anyone comes to you and does not bring this teaching (of Christ), do not receive him into your house or give him any greeting, for whoever greets him takes part in his wicked works. 2 John 1:10-11 (ESV)

Exodus 23:13
"Be careful to do everything I have said to you. Do not invoke the names of other gods; do not let them be heard on your lips.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2016 2:01 pm 

Anna1111 wrote:
"I challenge myself to not shy away from things that differ from my opinion or belief."

I know that's a popular perspective nowadays, but I'd encourage you to re-think it, Sis. Opinion is one thing, but the clear teaching of Christianity is not an opinion, but a fact. It seems to me that the Bible forbids any dialogue at all with false religions - to even mention the names of their false gods is forbidden. I struggle with this, too, as I have friends of other faiths, and I don't think the Bible forbids witnessing to them. But, to "give them a hearing" in the sense of being open minded about their teachings or debating, I see as dangerous territory in light of Scriptures.

If anyone comes to you and does not bring this teaching (of Christ), do not receive him into your house or give him any greeting, for whoever greets him takes part in his wicked works. 2 John 1:10-11 (ESV)

Exodus 23:13
"Be careful to do everything I have said to you. Do not invoke the names of other gods; do not let them be heard on your lips.

Thank you for that admonition, Anna. I will prayerfully consider. I do feel like a hypocrite to ask someone to give me a listen if I won't do the same.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2016 2:16 pm 

I know - I struggle with the same issue! (((Sis)))

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2016 2:23 pm 

Anna1111 wrote:
I know - I struggle with the same issue! (((Sis)))

But, let's say this person that is telling you the Bible does not speak of the Trinity (or whatever issue) is in your own church! Or, just as you guys gave me scripture, I should be prepared to defend my beliefs.

I was surprised by the person that was linking the Trinity discussion. I didn't know there were Christians that didn't believe in it. But then, I'm surprised by people that don't believe in the rapture, also. ;)

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2016 2:40 pm 

If a person is seeking help, that is one thing - if they are being divisive, that is another.

http://biblehub.com/galatians/6-1.htm

http://biblehub.com/titus/3-10.htm

A person cannot be considered a Christian who does not believe in the Trinity (which, of course, does not restrict God from saving them if He so chooses - God's mercy is - as my dear friend puts it - "above my pay grade!" ). There are certain beliefs that are indispensable. You cannot be a Christian and deny the Crucifixion, the Resurrection, etc. IF a person cannot say the Nicene Creed in good conscience, there is something SERIOUSLY wrong. (You CAN however, be a Christian and take a different view of the interpretation of Scriptures on Eschatology : )

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2016 9:45 pm 

If you have a concordance and can look up the Hebrew word for God, especially in the OT, Genesis in particular, it is the plural Elohiym.

Genesis 1:26
26 And God said, Let US make man in OUR image, after OUR likeness: and let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over the cattle, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth

Side note, the concept of sola scriptura is not in the Bible, either. I have come to question a lowly monk's authority to rip out and discard books out of the canonized Bible. If he had his way completely he would have done away with Hebrews, James, Jude and Revelation.

"...with men this is impossible, but with God all things are possible." Matthew 19:26

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2016 11:38 pm 

Briva wrote:
If you have a concordance and can look up the Hebrew word for God, especially in the OT, Genesis in particular, it is the plural Elohiym.

Genesis 1:26
26 And God said, Let US make man in OUR image, after OUR likeness: and let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over the cattle, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth

Side note, the concept of sola scriptura is not in the Bible, either. I have come to question a lowly monk's authority to rip out and discard books out of the canonized Bible. If he had his way completely he would have done away with Hebrews, James, Jude and Revelation.

The plural form does not have to mean the Holy Spirit is part of it. We know "the Word" was part of the creation process.