It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 9:48 am

HSC AffiliatesClick here for our affiliate link to Christianbook.comDonate to HSC

Post subject: Is Biblical illiteracy a problem in your church?
PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2016 12:12 pm 

http://www.albertmohler.com/2016/01/20/ ... ign=buffer

Post subject: Re: Is Biblical illiteracy a problem in your church?
PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2016 1:44 pm 

Dh has a few test questions he asks people.
Who were Rack, Shack and Benny (Shadrach, Meshach and Abednego)?
Asks them to look up a verse in the book of Jedidiah.
What is the Gospel?
The excuse for not knowing the answer is that they have no time. It's not important anymore :(

"...with men this is impossible, but with God all things are possible." Matthew 19:26

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2016 7:00 pm 

Biblical literacy is a problem in EVERY group! I have never been to a Church (and I feel like I've been to most of them!) where it wasn't a problem.

That statistic about Sodom & Gomorrah would be uproariously funny if it weren't so tragic!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2016 8:23 pm 

Anna1111 wrote:
Biblical literacy is a problem in EVERY group! I have never been to a Church (and I feel like I've been to most of them!) where it wasn't a problem.

That statistic about Sodom & Gomorrah would be uproariously funny if it weren't so tragic!

I want a curriculum that just starts at the beginning and works thru the end, preferably in a spiral style. By that I mean it starts with the simplest Bible stories with crafts and coloring pages, simple memory verses, and a catechism question to learn each week and then it "goes back around" and starts over at the next level with questions and deeper stories, etc. This should last a good 6 years, I think, until the high school students are able to teach it to the youngers. :)

Oh, and this also includes learning the books of the Bible, how to use the concordance, reading thru the entire Bible, memorizing standard passages like Ps 23, 1 Cor 13, etc. :) These should all be done with appropriate-to-age illustrations, maps, and timelines.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2016 8:30 pm 

I sometimes feel illiterate. :( My brain does not sort and file information very well. I know I've *known* it but that doesn't mean I can recall it.

Then there are things I've known forever but... do I? I had to laugh at the "verse" "God helps those who help themselves". I read the ENTIRE New Testament looking for it because I was SURE I had read it. Nope. Not there. When "someone" brings up a belief that I have made my peace with and challenges me on it - have I learned it from the Word? or from other people? Can I back it up with Scripture?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2016 8:38 pm 

Sadly, I find that VERY few Christians have simply read the Bible from cover to cover - even once. My Great Grandfather read the Bible thru once a year, every year for his adult life - and said that every time he read it he found something new. And with audio resources now that read it TO us, it is so troubling that so few people actually read the entire Bible - instead they go over favorite passages, over and over.

Another passage everyone *thinks* is in the Bible is "And the Lion shall lie down with the Lamb" - good luck finding that one ; )

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2016 8:52 pm 

Anna1111 wrote:
Another passage everyone *thinks* is in the Bible is "And the Lion shall lie down with the Lamb" - good luck finding that one ; )

:o Say it isn't so!!!! :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2016 11:27 pm 

I'm far more disturbed by the rampant twisting and flat out ignoring scripture because you don't like what it says, than I am by someone not knowing the names of the disciples. Not that Biblical literacy is unimportant, but there's no point in reading the Bible over and over if your eyes are closed to what it says and you're interpreting it all through the filter of what everyone around you says, instead of letting God speak for Himself. I should know. I did it for many years. I read the Bible through from cover to cover, more than once, and I was completely blind to what it was saying. Drilling Bible facts into people won't save them, only God can open their eyes to His truths, even when it's clearly spelled out in the Bible. Not that it's bad to drill Bible facts. I do think the connection between the OT and NT needs to be more clearly taught. There were several things in the OT that pointed to Jesus, that I didn't see until a few years ago, and I felt robbed.

I'm not surprised by the Bible illiteracy. People don't read their Bibles because they love themselves and hate God, plain and simple. And that includes most church going people who call themselves Christians. As Paul Washer says, "American christianity is not Christianity" and as my pastor says, the churches are filled with goats. True Christians may go through struggles with reading their Bibles, even my pastor says he does, but I distrust a person who says they love God and His word, but live a life contrary to that and rarely open their Bible. It's a little fishy how well "Christians" fit in with the non-Christian's these days, they even have similar Bible reading habits, which is rarely or not at all. Yet the Bible paints a much different picture of the differences between believers and unbelievers. I guess people just ignore or twist those verses because they don't like what they say.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2016 2:38 am 

LisaTX wrote:
I'm far more disturbed by the rampant twisting and flat out ignoring scripture because you don't like what it says, than I am by someone not knowing the names of the disciples. ...Drilling Bible facts into people won't save them, only God can open their eyes to His truths, even when it's clearly spelled out in the Bible. Not that it's bad to drill Bible facts. I do think the connection between the OT and NT needs to be more clearly taught. There were several things in the OT that pointed to Jesus, that I didn't see until a few years ago, and I felt robbed.

I'm not surprised by the Bible illiteracy. People don't read their Bibles because they love themselves and hate God, plain and simple. And that includes most church going people who call themselves Christians. As Paul Washer says, "American christianity is not Christianity" and as my pastor says, the churches are filled with goats. True Christians may go through struggles with reading their Bibles, even my pastor says he does, but I distrust a person who says they love God and His word, but live a life contrary to that and rarely open their Bible. It's a little fishy how well "Christians" fit in with the non-Christian's these days, they even have similar Bible reading habits, which is rarely or not at all. Yet the Bible paints a much different picture of the differences between believers and unbelievers. I guess people just ignore or twist those verses because they don't like what they say.

You make good points, Lisa! I wish I could remember how one pastor put it. Something like "if you pick and choose what to believe in the Bible then you are believing in your self rather than the Word".

I'm interested in the OT things that pointed to Jesus that you discovered. :)

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2016 10:27 am 

LisaTX wrote:
I'm far more disturbed by the rampant twisting and flat out ignoring scripture because you don't like what it says, than I am by someone not knowing the names of the disciples. Not that Biblical literacy is unimportant, but there's no point in reading the Bible over and over if your eyes are closed to what it says and you're interpreting it all through the filter of what everyone around you says, instead of letting God speak for Himself. I should know. I did it for many years. I read the Bible through from cover to cover, more than once, and I was completely blind to what it was saying. Drilling Bible facts into people won't save them, only God can open their eyes to His truths, even when it's clearly spelled out in the Bible. Not that it's bad to drill Bible facts. I do think the connection between the OT and NT needs to be more clearly taught. There were several things in the OT that pointed to Jesus, that I didn't see until a few years ago, and I felt robbed.

The biggest problem with people twisting the facts to themselves is how they grew up. 99.9% of kids that are raised in a "Christian" home, whether it be Catholic, Protestant, or other do not read the Bible for themselves. The attitude is, "My parents' church is 100% correct in their teaching of the scriptures. I will simply follow what I have been taught all my life and will not change or study the scriptures, myself nor challenge it, either." Every denomination believes they are the "true" church and everyone else is "wrong." I hate to break it to these folks, but no one is 100% right. We are all growing and learning something different every day or we should be. If you are not and are just depending on someone else to "feed you" then you are in the wrong. Like it was already mentioned here and all of us have experienced it, every time we read the Bible, something new should "pop out" to us that we never thought about before. I have a Bible series on CD in my car and play it whenever I am on the road. Even if it is just 15 minutes. I will admit, I have never read the Bible all the way through, but it is something I plan on doing this year.