It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:06 am

HSC AffiliatesClick here for our affiliate link to Christianbook.comDonate to HSC

Post subject: I had to stay home from church tonight.
PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2016 1:05 am 

Our basement is flooding due to the rain and melting snow. I had to man the shop vac. My littles were here so we went ahead and did our Kid's class I would've done at the church. I asked dh if the other kids were there tonight and he said no so we didn't miss much. I wanted them to hear the song "Standing on the Promises" so I found it online and from there we just kept going - Blessed Assurance, Make me a Sanctuary,, ... I don't know what all. It was some 80's thing where a bunch of singers(?) got together and sang the old songs. I think. The kids enjoyed it! :)

Post subject: Re: I had to stay home from church tonight.
PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2016 9:51 am 

Sounds like you made the best of a bad situation! What a blessing to worship at home. Hope your basement is better!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2016 12:40 pm 

Anna1111 wrote:
Sounds like you made the best of a bad situation! What a blessing to worship at home. Hope your basement is better!

Dh was up and down all night checking the shop vac. I think he finally turned it off at 4 this morning and said "We'll see how it is in the morning". Thankfully there was barely a 4" wide river thru most of one room and that was it. Today is beautiful - no rain in sight. Still a little snow left to melt but at a slower rate it may not come in the basement.

Thankful for a shop vac and drainage in the garage. :)

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2016 2:12 pm 

Thank goodness - a little stream isn't too bad! My mom's house had a sort of a permanent stream thru the basement ; )

Do y'all have a sump pump down there, too ?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2016 5:58 pm 

Anna1111 wrote:
Thank goodness - a little stream isn't too bad! My mom's house had a sort of a permanent stream thru the basement ; )

Do y'all have a sump pump down there, too ?

No sump pump. I wonder if it's something we should look into? We keep tryiing (economical) things but so far nothing's really kept the water out. :?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2016 6:15 pm 

Sump pumps aren't horribly expensive - and installation isn't impossible - with the pipes in place, I've done it myself with guidance from my disabled Mother. You can also take a hose out a basement window.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2016 9:37 pm 

Anna1111 wrote:
Sump pumps aren't horribly expensive - and installation isn't impossible - with the pipes in place, I've done it myself with guidance from my disabled Mother. You can also take a hose out a basement window.

If the hose is to drain the pump, that's what we do with the shop vac. We have a drain in the middle of the garage floor that we put the hose in that is connected to the shop vac. We DO have to manually switch this one to drain which means we have to listen for the pitch to change. :?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2016 12:37 pm 

A sump pump has several advantages:
1. It works all the time - even before you know you have a problem - so if you're away when the flood happens, it can save your basement
2. It is submersible - a deep flood won't kill its motor.
3. It turns itself on & off.

Ours had a pit that it sat in - I don't know if that is a necessity or not - I don't *think* so - but it does help keep the floor dry.