It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:01 pm

HSC AffiliatesClick here for our affiliate link to Christianbook.comDonate to HSC

Post subject: Experience Driven Church
PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2016 9:40 am 

http://www.radicallychristian.com/exper ... ven-church

Post subject: Re: Experience Driven Church
PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2016 11:58 am 

I became a Christian just a few years before the big Jesus movement in the 70's, the one Woodlawn depicts. It was pretty experience driven and exciting and, I admit, it made being a Christian feel good.

We saw a lot of damage come out of the experience-emotional hype stuff, tho'. One of the slogans that came about later says, "I don't care how high you can fly, I want to see how straight you walk when your feet hit the ground". (Something like that.)

Some of the loudest Amen-ers were those that tho't screaming at satan and yelling in tongues covered their sin. I'm thankful for the leadership of my dh during that time. He was a baby Christian and yet he recognized it for what it was, a smoke cover. "Everyone was doing it". I remember going to one church that was so orchestrated in their praise and worship that they told you just what to do and when. We rebelled and just sat there waiting for it to be over. ugh

That's my take on experience based churches. We need to hear and read the Word of God and learn HIS ways. Not to be legalistic but for the LOVE of God.

Post subject: Re: Experience Driven Church
PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2016 11:39 pm 

snippet:
"Cheap grace is the preaching of forgiveness without requiring repentance, baptism without church discipline, Communion without confession, absolution without personal confession. Cheap grace is grace without discipleship, grace without the cross, grace without Jesus Christ, living and incarnate."