It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 1:38 am

HSC AffiliatesClick here for our affiliate link to Christianbook.comDonate to HSC

Post subject: 5 Myths of Male Headship
PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2016 11:58 pm 

http://juniaproject.com/5-myths-of-male ... ign=buffer

Post subject: Re: 5 Myths of Male Headship
PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2016 1:15 pm 

Hmmm.

#1 Don't know why anybody wouldn't know that Christ is the head of the church.

#2 Seems he's being a bit picky here. Must the verse use the word "head"?

#3 You can easily find the concept of a man leading his household through scripture.

#4 They were surprised that Christ taught with AUTHORITY in the synagogue. Even the winds obey Him. Demons flee. He overturned the money tables. This is no mamby pamby doormat here. Again, he is saying the only place in the Bible that states EXPLICITLY - using the key words of "head" maybe?

#5 I think it's Hebrews that discusses those that have rule over you. Other places talk about the qualifications of leadership. Verses like "the woman was made for man" and "he shall rule over you" make clear that man is in the lead position.

Now, with all that said, yes, it's true that with leadership comes much responsibility. A weak man will "rule" with an iron fist. A strong man is able to lead with compassion and by example. We are to submit one to another yet man will be held accountable for the decisions he makes (as will the teacher and others that rule over us). And should your male boss at work have "rule" over you? Uhm - yeah. But only at work. ;-)

Gotta run.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2016 6:40 pm 

Kinda reminds me of the old story of the well-known Atheist & humorist, WC Fields, reading the Bible on his deathbed. A shocked friend asked him what he was doing. His reply? "Looking for loopholes!"

Seems to be what's going on here, too ; )

No matter how well you analyze the Greek (and, if anything, Evangelical Churches have analyzed these words to death, rather than skipping over them as the author alleges), the Biblical instructions concerning male & female roles are clear - and, deep down inside, we all understand them.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2016 10:13 pm 

Anna1111 wrote:
Kinda reminds me of the old story of the well-known Atheist & humorist, WC Fields, reading the Bible on his deathbed. A shocked friend asked him what he was doing. His reply? "Looking for loopholes!"

No matter how well you analyze the Greek (and, if anything, Evangelical Churches have analyzed these words to death, rather than skipping over them as the author alleges), the Biblical instructions concerning male & female roles are clear - and, deep down inside, we all understand them.

Here is a comment from one of our very own that posted on my FB page...

Both Raquel and I have watched the teaching on headship in marriage destroy our prior marriages. We have agreed that the teaching that is so common in the Church is not really Biblical. I am not Raquel's head in the sense of having any kind of authority over her. She is not called upon to be submitted to me. In fact one clue I had that we could have a healthy marriage is her refusal to take on the role of the submitted wife. This article gives a much healthier, and I believe Biblical, perspective.

Here is another on a similar subject.

http://www.rockymountainministries.org/ ... istry.html

Actually, here is the other comment....

All of us are called upon to submit to each other out of reverence for Christ. That does not put any of us in authority over another.

“But you are not to be called ‘Rabbi,’ for you have one Teacher, and you are all brothers. And do not call anyone on earth ‘father,’ for you have one Father, and he is in heaven. --Matt 23:8,9

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2016 4:30 pm 

StacyinTN wrote:
Anna1111 wrote:

Both Raquel and I have watched the teaching on headship in marriage destroy our prior marriages. We have agreed that the teaching that is so common in the Church is not really Biblical. I am not Raquel's head in the sense of having any kind of authority over her. She is not called upon to be submitted to me. In fact one clue I had that we could have a healthy marriage is her refusal to take on the role of the submitted wife. This article gives a much healthier, and I believe Biblical, perspective.

All of us are called upon to submit to each other out of reverence for Christ. That does not put any of us in authority over another.

“But you are not to be called ‘Rabbi,’ for you have one Teacher, and you are all brothers. And do not call anyone on earth ‘father,’ for you have one Father, and he is in heaven. --Matt 23:8,9

I agree that the concept has been ill-used over the years! We ARE called on to submit one to another and godly husbands should treat their wives as God's precious gift. I still disagree with the article, tho', and our "experiences" should not hold greater sway that scripture.

Here's another article that seems to be speaking to this one:
http://www.scripturessay.com/does-it-re ... -his-wife/

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2016 9:41 pm 

Sis wrote:
StacyinTN wrote:
Anna1111 wrote:

I agree that the concept has been ill-used over the years! We ARE called on to submit one to another and godly husbands should treat their wives as God's precious gift. I still disagree with the article, tho', and our "experiences" should not hold greater sway that scripture.

Here's another article that seems to be speaking to this one:
http://www.scripturessay.com/does-it-re ... -his-wife/

Good article.