It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:39 pm

HSC AffiliatesClick here for our affiliate link to Christianbook.comDonate to HSC

Post subject: Election
PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2015 11:16 pm 

It's extremely rare to hear a sermon on the doctrine of election these days. My pastor just gave two sermons on this doctrine and I really enjoyed them. I thought I would share them here if anyone is interested in listening. If you listen to the second one and hear a baby start screaming his head off towards the end, that would be Adrian. He was sleeping peacefully the whole time and then woke up out of nowhere and realized he was starving.

http://www.sermonaudio.com/sermoninfo.a ... 1515132525

http://www.sermonaudio.com/sermoninfo.a ... 6151318218

These are some things my pastor posted on FB, related to the sermons:

"The preaching of election is not the reason men are in hell. Election is the only reason why anyone is in heaven."

“Essentially, election is God’s making the decision for us that we would never have made for Him.” Michael Horton

"Did you know there are 49 references in the New Testament alone regarding the word elect, or elected, or chosen, or choose?"

"God’s providence controls every single event according to His plan so that His elect will be saved and enter glory."

"Yet I have loved Jacob, but Esau I have hated" (Malachi 1: 2c - 3). Let’s understand something, Jacob was not known for his great performance, obedience & loyalty to God. In reality, Jacob was a scoundrel, a cheat, & a great deceiver! If there is any proof you need of God’s electing love – consider the man Jacob. The love of God did not find its rationale in what God foresaw Jacob would do. Jacob’s actions were nefarious, flagrantly wicked & vicious to the extreme. Had God based his electing love upon foreseen character, whose to say, he would not have chosen Esau, in spite of his weaknesses, rather than the cunning, Machiavellian, cynical, & unscrupulous Jacob.

Romans 9: 11 “Though they were not yet born and had done nothing either good or bad – in order that God’s purpose of election might continue not because of works but because of him who calls.” Neither Jacob nor Esau had done anything when God’s purpose concerning them was revealed. God’s purpose was revealed before they were ever born. So God’s sovereign election was entirely based upon His own good pleasure and unearned by any merit. Foreseen faith or works does not even enter into picture! And just the same, when it comes to election of His people unto spiritual life, it is unrelated to any human effort, and is based only on the prerogative of God who makes his own selection. “For those whom he foreknew he also predestined to be conformed to the image of his Son in order that he might be the firstborn among many brothers.”
Thus, His love is sovereign, which means He has no obligation to show His favor to anyone. Instead, we're at the mercy of God! His love is purposeful in that God destined to pour out His rich grace upon an undeserving people to display His kindness and reproduce sons and daughters like you and me in the image of Christ. To God alone be the glory alone!

"To realize that God has chosen to redeem you in and through Christ crucified, kills your pride, for election goes right for the jugular of man’s pride. You’re simply amazed and thrilled that He would choose such sinner as you to be a part of His kingdom."