It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 11:54 pm

HSC AffiliatesClick here for our affiliate link to Christianbook.comDonate to HSC

Post subject: Following the beat of a different drummer.
PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2015 6:41 pm 

sigh I sometimes question why *I* feel the Lord asking me to do things that those around me don't need to do. I get almost giddy when I find someone else that is on the same path I'm on. (Not "path" like for salvation.) I'm at a loss to understand but I think I am hearing His instructions for me. Those around me must think I am whacked. :? I don't LIKE being "different" in that way. But, it would be so miserable, and wrong, for me not to do as I'm being lead.

My flesh is strong and I'm having a little trouble wrapping my head around my latest direction. It's been confirmed from 3 different directions, so far. It's not a big thing, really, and yet it is. I could say it's akin to being asked to "give up" a specific habit or food or past time. Because of the season I could even say it's like being asked to give up Christmas! (Which I have done for many years now.)

I think it started with my 4 1/2 hours of time alone with the Lord a few weeks ago. Then the kids were here and there was company and sickness and Thanksgiving and finally the kids were gone (yesterday). 2 Tim 2:20-22 are the strongest points - about keeping yourself pure so you can be used for "special" purposes. But the whole chapter speaks to me.

I listened to a lecture today and the comment, "Instead of mourning sin, we are entertained by it. Name it what it is - SIN" struck me. :? As careful as I am about what I watch and read and listen to, I am sometimes lulled into accepting some form of sin by characters in a show or a book just so I can justify continuing to watch it. I am struggling with letting go of the things I'm being asked to let go of. :oops: I ENJOY being entertained, not BY their sin but, in spite of it.

Are these "true, noble, right, pure, lovely, admirable"? (Phil 4:8)

But "everybody" around me not only reads or watches these shows but they talk about them in everyday conversations. I even hear them referenced on Christian radio and from the pulpit.

And yes, it goes beyond shows and books. :cry: It feels like it is touching on every aspect of life! I almost feel like I'm being asked to live on the moon! But, I know I'm not. hehe It's not quite THAT drastic. For my 60th birthday I am being asked to live as a mature Christian woman ought to live, not as unto herself. (See 1 Timothy 5:9!!!)

I have not yet been asked to give up handwork, sewing, etc, but I had to question it!

Anyways, .... just tho't I'd share my journey with ya'll. :)

Post subject: Re: Following the beat of a different drummer.
PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2015 4:33 pm 

I'm having a little trouble following you here - which makes it hard for me to discuss it. :?

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2015 5:33 pm 

Thank you for that feedback. :) This is still a thinking thru process for me but I have an allegory(?) that might work. I certainly don't want to sound like I think I'm "elite" or something, ok, but for the allegory it may sound like that. ;-)

Let's say I was given a horse. The owner moved away and is unable to come back for an undetermined amount of time so she gave me this beautiful horse she's had for 3 years. For the first 2 years it was a bit of a mess but she trained it and groomed it and cared for it til it became a show horse winning ribbons at everything it was entered in. She LOVES this horse. I am the only person she knows that has the time to care for it properly. He's on a regimen of vitamins and special feed and a training schedule .... blah blah blah. I am so honored to have been entrusted with her horse.

However. I now have to get up early to care for the horse, groom him, exercise him, feed him, check him over head to toe to catch any problems early. I can't go anywhere for more than a day because there is no one else locally that can commit to his care for even a few days. I have to read up on taking care of him, clean out his stall, run errands for him (meds, oils, tack repair, etc), ... he's pretty much a full time job!

I am blessed and honored. I am tired and, sometimes, a little resentful at being asked to take on this horse when others around me are going on trips and enjoying more freedom on a daily basis.

When I look at the bigger picture I can see possibilities of great things but that doesn't make it easy to pay the price of the task set before me. I believe that, given due diligence and a right attitude, the blessings will be worth the time and energy I must put into it. But, it is a lonely discipline.

Maybe that's not the best allegory but it's what came to mind. :) Does that help? Or does it make you more confused?

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2015 6:01 pm 

Well . . . I THINK I get it . . .if I'm reading you right : )

I heard a conversation about something similar to this once. Someone said, "When you have an "extra task" like this, there are two ways of looking at it - one leads to the sin of pride, the other to the virtue of humility. The first is to think, "I'm so special that God demands more of me" the second is to think "I'm so weak, that God gives me more medicine/therapy."

This is consistent with Scripture which says, "To the pure all things are pure." - if someone perfectly Holy were to look at, say, a sca*nt1ly clothed w0man, he would not l*ust - but if someone is spiritually weak, he does.

The same person said, "If you see someone engaging in things that God doesn't "permit" you to do, then you should make excuses for them - think to yourself, "They can eat rich food without being tempted to gluttony (for example) but I cannot, because I am weaker than they are."

I think these methods keep dangerous/troubling temptations at bay if someone is dealing with something like this : )

(hope I made sense : )

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2015 11:54 pm 

Anna1111 wrote:
Well . . . I THINK I get it . . .if I'm reading you right : )

I heard a conversation about something similar to this once. Someone said, "When you have an "extra task" like this, there are two ways of looking at it - one leads to the sin of pride, the other to the virtue of humility. The first is to think, "I'm so special that God demands more of me" the second is to think "I'm so weak, that God gives me more medicine/therapy."

This is consistent with Scripture which says, "To the pure all things are pure." - if someone perfectly Holy were to look at, say, a sca*nt1ly clothed w0man, he would not l*ust - but if someone is spiritually weak, he does.

The same person said, "If you see someone engaging in things that God doesn't "permit" you to do, then you should make excuses for them - think to yourself, "They can eat rich food without being tempted to gluttony (for example) but I cannot, because I am weaker than they are."

I think these methods keep dangerous/troubling temptations at bay if someone is dealing with something like this : )

(hope I made sense : )

Getting there. ;) I agree with what you said but I'm thinking more along the lines of the prodigal son's BROTHER. :? (That would've been easier to begin with, eh?) The one that stays home and takes care of his responsibilities. He has access to the father's "riches" all the time and uses them responsibly. But he sees his brother's warm welcome after squandering his inheritance and going off to play.