It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 9:11 am

HSC AffiliatesClick here for our affiliate link to Christianbook.comDonate to HSC

Post subject: Re: On Women's ministries.
PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2015 9:03 pm 

LisaTX wrote:
Anna1111 wrote:
The segregated Bible studies I have been to have degenerated into a group therapy session all too often. I'm a little wary when people say, "We can discuss things with other women that we can't discuss with men" - because to me that usually means people have gotten off the topic of Scripture.
I *have* seen both groups (mixed and segregated) turn into group therapy sessions but it's been rare and nipped in the bud. You don't find some scripture to be discussed in more depth and application when among a smaller group of women? I'm thinking of Song of Solomon, Prov 31, and Eph 5. I'm not saying they aren't/shouldn't be studied in mixed groups but a segregated group does bring about more applicable discussion in my experience.

Bashing isn't the only danger, as I see it - so are narcissism, private interpretation, and an elevation of emotion over the truths of Scripture.
Sure. Those are real concerns. There are not always mature Christian women to oversee women-only groups and then I would NOT want to see those studies without a pastor's oversight.

If a woman is intimidated by men in the room, the Bible says to simply ask your husband at home - it's an easy fix : ) I'm not too inclined to be intimidated, but there are many times that I do ask my husband at home if I feel like the entire group would not find my question useful, - like if it is a "rabbit trail".
Half of our women are not married. :)

Also - if my whole family isn't welcome somewhere, I generally don't go. We've never hired a babysitter for an "adults only event" and likewise, I only go to events where my DH is welcome and loved. The Bible says the "two become one" and just as I wouldn't exclude my arm, I don't care for excluding my husband. I DO go to a weekday morning study that is MOSTLY women, but men are welcome, and a few do come. And, of course, the Priest is a male! : )

Hmmm. I don't see it as "unwelcome". Just more inappropriate, I think. Like a man in the women's bathroom, ya know? :mrgreen: If one of the women's husband wanted to sit in, I don't think anybody would mind 98% of the time. I can't think of a reason a man would WANT to sit in on a women's Bible study, tho'. ???

Many Sunday school classes have been segregated for ages. It often limits distractions for certain segments of the population. ;-)

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2015 9:48 pm 

Well - contrary to popular opinion, Proverbs 31 is written to a young man, not a young woman - and Ephesians 5 is one of the Scripture readings at weddings - ya definitely want a mixed group there! ; ) I don't see any reason why Song of Songs wouldn't be appropriate in a mixed group, either?

I mentioned the "ask her husband at home" to Stacy - who is married - I was single for a long time, and I totally get that single women don't have that option (nor do those who are in religously mixed marriages) - but we were speaking in the context of a married woman whose husband is a believer.

I think it's the very idea that there would be content in a Womena's Bible study that men wouldn't "WANT" to sit in on that I find disturbing. If it's truly a *Bible* study (as opposed to an emotional discussion) then what WOULDN'T a man be interested in? (I'm quite certain you don't mean to indicate that Men wouldn't care for the Bible. - right?)

And - we most definitely DO have segregated contexts in our Faith - the Monasteries! But to me that is quite different than saying men and women should LEARN something different about Scriptures.

(Our Baby showers - like everyone elses - are sometimes segregated and sometimes not - but they are a community thing, not a Church thing)

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2015 10:15 pm 

Anna1111 wrote:
Well - contrary to popular opinion, Proverbs 31 is written to a young man, not a young woman - and Ephesians 5 is one of the Scripture readings at weddings - ya definitely want a mixed group there! ; ) I don't see any reason why Song of Songs wouldn't be appropriate in a mixed group, either?

I mentioned the "ask her husband at home" to Stacy - who is married - I was single for a long time, and I totally get that single women don't have that option (nor do those who are in religously mixed marriages) - but we were speaking in the context of a married woman whose husband is a believer.

I think it's the very idea that there would be content in a Womena's Bible study that men wouldn't "WANT" to sit in on that I find disturbing. If it's truly a *Bible* study (as opposed to an emotional discussion) then what WOULDN'T a man be interested in? (I'm quite certain you don't mean to indicate that Men wouldn't care for the Bible. - right?)

And - we most definitely DO have segregated contexts in our Faith - the Monasteries! But to me that is quite different than saying men and women should LEARN something different about Scriptures.

(Our Baby showers - like everyone elses - are sometimes segregated and sometimes not - but they are a community thing, not a Church thing)

I see you took your contrary pills today! :P

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2015 10:33 pm 

I take them EVERY day! :oops: :oops:
I'll shut up now :)

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2015 10:38 pm 

Anna1111 wrote:
I take them EVERY day! :oops: :oops:
I'll shut up now :)

:lol: :mrgreen: :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2015 10:24 am 

Anna1111 wrote:

I rarely ask my husband about scripture because he doesn't know much more than I. So asking him would not be helpful to me. I know a lot men that are not knowledgeable in the scriptures so again, asking them what a verse or two means would do no good.

My church holds a lot of mixed group Bible studies, but we also hold "women" or "men" only small group Bible studies. It just what you want to do. Some people like the same gender, only. Some like the mixed groups. All is good as long as you are learning. :)

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2015 12:20 pm 

My church holds a lot of mixed group Bible studies, but we also hold "women" or "men" only small group Bible studies. It just what you want to do. Some people like the same gender, only. Some like the mixed groups. All is good as long as you are learning. :)

"Like" ;-)

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2015 8:53 pm 

I have been involved in two women's ministries that were polar opposites. I know what she is complaining about, after a few meetings I left the shallow group that just got together as an opportunity to leave their kids and husbands at home. They had a 'speaker' and a meal. No study. That was at a no longer existing non-denom.

At a Lutheran Church it was more like the women's ministry she wrote that she would like to see, and much, much more. The once a month bible studies ended with a brief ministry meeting. We also planned church events, signed cards for the sick and shut-ins, organized meals for the sick, planned funeral meals, there was mentoring, etc. The group met with other groups in the area quarterly, then the whole state of TX groups got together every two years where they voted on which ministries would get funding from the collections of each individual group. I saw over a million dollars go to fund inner city programs, fund missionaries helping small villages overseas, etc. All from our small monthly collections. Http://www.lwml.org/home
Our present church has Bible studies on Saturday and Sunday morning but everyone is invited. The men's and women's groups each get together to care for different aspects of the church, maintenance like roof or altar linens, respectfully.

"...with men this is impossible, but with God all things are possible." Matthew 19:26