It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 2:59 am

HSC AffiliatesClick here for our affiliate link to Christianbook.comDonate to HSC

Post subject: Food for Thought
PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2015 2:53 pm 

I don't think we've talked about the Syrian refugee/terrorist issue here, have we? I saw this and tho't I'd share it:

I have been thinking a lot lately about a few issues going on politically and spiritually in America, and decided to write something. It might get a little long winded, but I think this will bless your life if you bear with me a little.

These last few weeks, we have heard rumors about Syria and the likelihood of Syrian refugees coming to the Western world. I know a lot of my friends are frightened and worried that they may be terrorists—indeed some may be—but I wanted to take a moment to talk about my perspective as a Christian and as a missionary.

Throughout the walls of the church in America, on christian radio, I have heard some really alarming things being said about illegal immigrants which much aren't really true, or at least, doesn't paint a real accurate picture of the situation. I have heard some of the most bigoted statements ever inside church, and my brothers and sisters, that should not be. So, when everyone was talking about illegal immigrants, the Hispanic community was busy getting their hands dirty, and the result?

I have met more than one pastor here in Mexico who received the Gospel while being in the US illegally. Also, I have met countless others who received Christ, and went on to produce fruit in their own neighborhoods, and bring many family members to Christ as a result. I can't even begin to tell you what a difference it has made, and will continue to make.

See, the funny thing is, that everyone talks a good game when they talk about the need for revival, but how many of us really mean it? We used to send countless missionaries around the world, and some of them died on the missionary field while others sacrificed their families and fortunes for the sake of Christ, and we as American's can't even get beyond the talking points of the GOP. Part of me is glad that those Syrians are coming because I know that some of them might hear the Gospel for the first time, and they will receive it and the world will be a much better place as a result.

The GOP is a party that operates with a spirit of fear, and not a party that acts on faith. We talk of faith when it comes to people being sick with cancer, but what about the faith that causes us to really get our hands dirty? And those refugees who are Christians? I hope that the Christian refugees that do come to America don't lose their hope in Christ because of the way Christian's sometimes act.

Our world is a scary place sometimes, and evil people do terrible things. Heck, even decent people sometimes do bad things, and I am wondering whether I will have to get out the world's smallest violin for some of my brothers and sisters because they just won't stop sniveling. In situations like this, we need to do the right thing even if it is difficult. If we had a debilitating disease, how would we react to what is going on? Some of us find that we can speak out against what is happening to us, and take charge of our, or at the very least, make peace of what is happening to us.

Like it or not, but I believe that God is allowing people from all nations and tribes to come to America in order for an opportunity to receive Christ. I believe there is going to be one more revival in America that is going to change the whole world, and many are going to be forgiven their sins. At the end of the day, it doesn't matter what you may think of these refugees because God is behind this, and you can kick and scream all you want, and it still won't change a thing.

I think that part of the problem is social media who report things that are said in a way that gets hits, but misconstrues what people say. It's kind of like when someone doesn't like a certain minister,Y and they put on Youtube videos that quote people out of context. I have seen every politician quoted out of context including Obama who I vehemently disagree with. As much as I disagree with most Democrats, I think most GOP arguments are really absurd too.

I am going to vow from today on that I am not going to look at those fear-mongering sites such as Breibart and Western Journalism, and others that are polarizing. Seriously, if you are a Christian, I would ask that you ask yourself why you post these sites on Facebook and Twitter when most of your friends want to know how you are doing when they get on FB. I like being able to stay in contact with my friends and family, but I don't want to post much of anything of a political nature.

It's nice to sometimes have a discussion of what is going on in our world, but I think we are forgetting our biggest weapon. 2 Chronicals 7:14 tells us to pray and seek the Lords face, and that he will heal our land. He doesn't tell the sinner to seek His face, he tell those who are called by His glorious name, so this is where we win our battles: on our knees.

Regarding those potential terrorists in our country—and any other problem we might have—we can change our surrounding by prayer. I understand that some might think that allowing these refugees to come here is irresponsible, just like they hate the fact that there are illegal aliens in the country, but I think this is what God is going to do to exalt His holy name which is above every name. Maybe, we can get off of FB long enough to see what God is doing, and see huge victories and wonders that we never previously thought possible.

Food for thought.

Shasten Marshall

Post subject: Re: Food for Thought
PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2015 8:32 pm 

OTOH

Did David invite Goliath to his house?

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2015 8:52 pm 

Yeah - I think there's a real danger in oversimplifying this issue. The writer seems to think that if we allow folks to immigrate indiscriminately that they'll all magically convert to Christianity. I WISH we could pull that off for our own citizens! She mentions one convert amongst the illegal Spanish-speaking immigrants (who come from majority-Christian nationsa and are often Christians anyway), without mentioning the amount of crime including many murders that also comes with that illegal immigration.

We DO have to love our enemies, and the Bible DOES tell us to love the alien (along with the fatherless and the widow), but as you say, Sis, that doesn't mean we need to invite Goliath into our house without giving it any thought.

And, the Bible does have many cautions about immersing our Children and ourselves in a culture that is hostile to God. To go out of our way to MAKE our country into one that is not majority Christian would be, to say the least, problematic.

The fact that we're turning away Christians who would immigrate while courting Moslem refugees is a big turn off for me, too.

The Syrian CHRISTIANS need and deserve our help - but they are not even being considered for immigration. (See this for details: http://www.foxnews.com/world/2015/11/17 ... s-in-cold/ )

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2015 11:22 pm 

Wasn't there a homeschooling family that came to America to flee persecution from their country, where homeschooling is illegal, and they were forced to go back. We couldn't keep this one family, but we can take thousands of Syrians and terrorists in the mix? What's more dangerous, homeschoolers or terrorists? Well, I know how our govt would answer that.

What bothers me most, are the online rumors and pictures, showing mostly young men refugees, barely any women and children. Why is no one addressing this? Does anyone know if it's true, why, and what it means? Because I don't have much sympathy for a bunch of cowardly men, deserting their families.