It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 3:07 pm

HSC AffiliatesClick here for our affiliate link to Christianbook.comDonate to HSC

Post subject: Nobody sat by me.
PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2015 3:01 pm 

I was a bit amused and a bit analytical about it. In a room with several chairs and 4 sofas (each seating 3) scattered around, the first 4 women went to a couch - I was one of those. As the seating was filled there was some natural groups - the mom's with babies the most evident. I'm new to the group and I don't know who might be friends, etc, but the last two to come in together - obviously friends, even had shared notes - sat clear across the group from each other in single chairs rather than fill in the only other two seats available - my couch. I showered and everything. ;)

Now, since nobody knows me, I really can't take it personally. But, really?

Post subject: Re: Nobody sat by me.
PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2015 3:14 pm 

This is my life. :lol:

I can't tell you how many times I've gone to church and sat down and ended up having the entire church pew all to myself. I don't sit on the end and block people either, I sit down a bit to make room if anyone comes in after me and wants to sit there.

And *I* shower, too!!
;)

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2015 3:48 pm 

I used to be "invisible". It was quite obvious, even to my good friends, that somehow, people didn't see me. We'd all be in line to order our food and they would look right past me and ask what the next person wanted. It was so weird.

This, tho'. We must give off an aura of company. ??????? :mrgreen:

Well, come to think of it, I avoid sitting with other people in a study or church setting, too. I don't want them to hear me sing! And, I don't want to be tempted to chat - something I learned in 2nd grade.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2015 3:56 pm 

It's not you, it's cultural.

In some American subcultures, it is proper to give everyone as much space-bubble as possible - so the polite thing is to sit further away. That's how I grew up, and that is still how I tend to be. It's not unfriendly, just a desire not to "impose"

In the Philippines, EVERY time I got on a bus, and got my nice empty seat, someone would come fill it - even if every other seat on the bus was empty. It was hot there - I'm sure I didn't smell my best - but still EVERYONE sat by me.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2015 4:38 pm 

I only get people siiting near me if I'm in a movie theater. They tend to sit either right next to me with their squirming babies, OR they sit right in front of me with their tallness blocking my view...

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2015 11:30 pm 

Tory wrote:
I only get people siiting near me if I'm in a movie theater. They tend to sit either right next to me with their squirming babies, OR they sit right in front of me with their tallness blocking my view...

I usually go to a movie when there aren't very many people there so I could just move if I were around annoying people. :) It's so hard to go with dh cuz he can't catch what is said all the time (less than me even) ;-) and he keeps asking me. Then I miss more. sigh

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2015 7:01 pm 

I can't move. I feel so self conscience like they'd KNOW I was moving to get away from them... :lol:
so I'm stuck then.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2015 9:25 pm 

Tory wrote:
I can't move. I feel so self conscience like they'd KNOW I was moving to get away from them... :lol:
so I'm stuck then.

I know it's been kept a secret but, {shhhh}, it's ok - even if they do know. {shhh}

:lol:

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2015 9:30 pm 

One time, a lady with very powerful perfume sat right behind dh and I at church. Now, I'm very allergic to smells and I'll get a migraine so quick from that sweet perfumy stuff...
that dh and I pretended that dd needed to go to the bathroom... so we all three got up and walked out of church... then came back in a few minutes later and sat farther away from the lady.
I don't think she caught on. It was before church started.

and Sis, for the record: I would sit by you! (Even if you didn't shower... :lol: hahaha!

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2015 12:30 am 

But, that's cuz you KNOW me, Tory. ;-)