It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 7:49 am

HSC AffiliatesClick here for our affiliate link to Christianbook.comDonate to HSC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 59 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Re: Job 3:8
PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 10:40 pm 
LOL Sis - I started out reading the NIV and loved it, until I found out how flawed it was in comparison. Then I started reading the KJV and BOY did I have trouble with it. Until - I remembered that the bible says the Holy Spirit will teach us and I started praying, and then it was easier. I don't even notice the thee's and thou's anymore. I do have to look up some words, they're not in every day use, but I use that 1812 dictionary online and it really helps. I've come to really love the poetry of the KJV. And I think it helps in one other way - I'm a prolific reader, mostly of mystery novels, and I had been trying to read the NIV like a novel. Well, you can't read the bible like a novel, lol. And the KJV helps me remember that.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 11:16 pm 

Lisa, I just checked after reading your post, and the Original Greek of Philippians 4:13 doesn't say "Christ" who strenthens me - that's why the NIV doesn't have it. It's trying to be more literal with the text. The KJV translators decided that it *meant* Christ, so translated it that way.

I don't think either translation is wrong - just a different method.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 11:50 pm 

I don't go by those texts. I believe they're corrupted.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 12:10 am 

I should expand on that.

My concerns with any modern version are twofold: the texts used and the intentions/agendas of the translators. Due to my research (which is ongoing and will be for a long time, as it's confusing and there's a lot to take in), I believe both are corrupted. Also, due to my research, I believe that God used the KJV translators to give us His word in the English language and I trust the knowledge and intentions of the God-fearing and honorable men who wrote the KJV, although they weren't perfect, as no one is. There are many other reasons why I believe KJV is THE Bible, but people need to do their own research and come to their own conclusions. It would take me forever to list all my research.

To me, if I want to know God's word, I look to the KJV. If there is a verse I hear somewhere or there are two verses that are being compared and there is confusion, I see what the KJV says and that is what I go by. After all, it is what my grandparents and their grandparents and their grandparents, etc. went by and that is when we had the most Godly people and preachers who told it like it was and didn't water things down. I wouldn't trust a modern version any further than I can throw it. To me, they are not the Bible.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 3:42 pm 

Why is the original Greek Bible as written by the Gospel writers & St. Paul, etc, *more* corrupt than the English Bible? I don't understand that.

It seems impossible to me that God would not have made His Word available in the original Greek to Greek speakers, and the original Hebrew to Hebrew speakers, but *only* to English speakers.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 3:51 pm 

It all has to do with the different texts used for the different translations.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 3:54 pm 

I don't understand. The Greek Bible isn't a translation, it's the original. Are you saying the Greek Bible is bad somehow?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 4:05 pm 

I only trust the Textus Receptus, but like I said, people need to do their own research and see what they trust. There's a plethora of information available.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 4:17 pm 

The Textus Receptus is what we use - It's the Greek Orthodox version. But, I confess I have a handy (small) Greek copy that is not that. If you'd like, I can ask DH what the Textus Receptus says in this verse later.

(I usually don't mess with his books, since some of them are handed down from his Dad, and are both fragile & special to him, and I spill coffee on everything I touch.)

I'm not too picky about translations - I see them all as translations, and not quite as authoritative as the original languages, but plenty good enough for every day use. (I do NOT use those done by sects or cults)

I'm not trying to debate with you on the KJV - I grew up with it and it was definitely my Mom's favorite! I'm very comfortable with it, but like the NIV too.

One thing I'll say for the KJV, I started studying it in pre-school. By the time I was in High School, Shakespeare was cake! ; )

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 4:46 pm 

He has a copy of the Textus Receptus? Where do you get those at, lol? I still feel like I only barely have a grasp of understanding of all the texts. I know enough to know that I trust KJV and not the newer versions, but I still have lots of reading to do. The example I gave may not be the best example to use, but it was just something that struck me recently. I've seen many more comparisons between the KJV and other versions that were dealbreakers for me. I used to think all translations were created equal until I saw how different they were and the meanings were changed.

I didn't start reading the KJV until about a year ago, but I loved Shakespeare in HS, so it wasn't too big of an adjustment. I went from NIV to NKJV to KJV. Some would say I went backwards, lol.

Hopefully I am making some sense. My head is fuzzy because I have come down with a cold and have a headache.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 59 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next