It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 4:04 am

HSC AffiliatesClick here for our affiliate link to Christianbook.comDonate to HSC

Post subject: Job 3:8
PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 3:24 pm 

Huh?

Job 3:8
8 May those curse it who curse the day,
Those who are ready to arouse Leviathan.
NKJV

8 Tell the sorcerers to curse that day,
those who know how to control Leviathan.
TEV

8 Let them curse it that curse the day, who are ready to raise up their mourning.
KJV

8 Let those curse it who curse the day, who are skilled in rousing up Leviathan.
AMP

Job 3:7-8
8 Let those who are experts at cursing — those who are ready to rouse the sea monster — curse that day.
NLT

8 Let those curse it who curse the Sea,
those who are skilled to rouse up Leviathan.
NRSV

Again I say, Huh?

Post subject: Re: Job 3:8
PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 4:15 pm 

You just came across another one of those verses that are oddly translated.

We are in two Bible studies where everyone has a different Bible (I take my Spanish-KJV Bible) and find all sorts of odd translations. We've had to rely on looking up the word in a concordance and then finding the original greek or hebrew word for it. Been doing that a lot, almost as often as we meet.

"...with men this is impossible, but with God all things are possible." Matthew 19:26

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 5:19 pm 

I read it in the Spanish also. It translates it "leviathan", too, right? I guess it's one of those words like our "check". The same word can be translated in different ways. BUT, how do you get leviathan in context?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 5:34 pm 

Well, this verse in *my* version actually makes sense. Leviathan in that context doesn't make sense. Guess they should have left the translating to the actual scholars, like the ones who knew Greek and Hebrew at age 5? :D

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 5:40 pm 

The reason I really even questioned it was because I read it in my KJV and then in my NKJV and the NKJV has leviathan! The KJV does not. I tho't they just took the "thees and thous" out?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 5:55 pm 

Oh no, they did WAY more than take the "thees" and "thous" out! I don't even look at other translations anymore.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 8:51 pm 
I ONLY use the KJV. Keep in mind that all these other translations have copyrights. In order to copyright a work that's already been written, you have to change at least 6%. The KJV IS the most accurate translation, and not at all hard to read.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 10:24 pm 

I asked DH to look up the verse in the Septuagint. He said it says something like "sea beast." DH says that's the same Greek word the Old Testament used for the creature that swallowed Jonah.

Quite possibly there is this difference in translations because different English translations used different manuscripts to translate FROM.

BTW - of all the incredibly difficult things to understand :? in the book of Job, why this one, Sis? ;)

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 4:13 pm 

Well, Allie, I must beg to differ. I grew up on KJV and it *wasn't* difficult to understand until I spent several ... ahem, many several years NOT reading KJV. NOW it's more difficult to understand. : \ I am slowly getting myself back to it, tho'.

And Anna, I was just reading the first 5 chapters of Job in both versions as my reading yesterday and that stuck out to me. It de-railed me, I guess. What business does leviathan have in that verse?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 5:31 pm 

Yeah, the KJV can be hard to understand. Usually it will kind of explain itself, though, if you you don't understand something and keep reading, it usually explains itself. I wish someone could have just taken out the "Thees and Thous" and certain other words where the meaning has changed or whatever.

But there seems to be an agenda behind all the newer translations to water it down and even completely change the meaning in some cases. I noticed a recent example of that. Ds has been memorizing verses for Sunday school and I usually have him memorize them in the translation they are in on his paper if there is no big change from the KJV. He recently memorized Phil. 4:13 and their translation said "I can do all things through Him who strengthens me" and the KJV says "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me". Call me picky, but what's so hard to understand about "Christ" that they had to remove it? I had ds say "Christ" instead of "Him" and he was worried they would say he did it wrong. I showed him in our Bible where it says "Christ" and told him that they wouldn't care if he said "Christ" instead of "Him" and if they did, then he probably wouldn't be going there much longer anyways.

And (be warned, I'm about to get really opinionated) there's two "Bibles" that need two be burned. The gender neutral NIV and the Message "Bible". I think they're abominations straight out of hell and that's where they need to return. These "Bibles" are proof that people think they can just make up whatever trash they want and slap the word "Bible" on it and make money off it. Sick.