It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 1:49 pm

HSC AffiliatesClick here for our affiliate link to Christianbook.comDonate to HSC

Post subject: Been reading too much "stuff " today
PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 10:34 am 

think I will pull out a bible and ask God to speak to me through his Holy Spirit. There is so much out there and so much disagreement on everything. May God work through each and every one of us through His Holy Spirit

Post subject: Re: Been reading too much "stuff " today
PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 10:51 am 

Amen, Stephanie. Amen!

I can do ALL things through Christ, who strengthens me. (Phil. 4:13)

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 11:01 am 

I have a small "collection" of prayers that I like to keep on hand. Sometimes, they say exactly what's on my heart, only much better than what I could say. I appreciate the written prayers of others, especially when I can't seem to form the words on my own.

Here is one that I especially appreciate and pray often. It comes from an old devotional book of my mother's - now mine, but I enjoy all of her markings and notes! - called "Closer Walk" published by Walk Through the Bible ministries.

" Father, thank You for Your WORD, which teaches me how to avoid sin. Help me to listen carefully whenever You speak to me through its pages. Cause me to encourage my brothers and sisters in Christ and to draw strength from their example and fellowship

Above all, LORD, grant me a soft, pliable, teachable heart, one that beats strongly for You, one that will not be enticed by worldly pleasure.

In the Name of the One who wants to keep my heart focused on pleasing You.

AMEN"

I can do ALL things through Christ, who strengthens me. (Phil. 4:13)

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 11:18 am 

laurajean wrote:
AMEN"

"...with men this is impossible, but with God all things are possible." Matthew 19:26

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 11:27 am 

laurajean wrote:
I have a small "collection" of prayers that I like to keep on hand. Sometimes, they say exactly what's on my heart, only much better than what I could say. I appreciate the written prayers of others, especially when I can't seem to form the words on my own.

Here is one that I especially appreciate and pray often. It comes from an old devotional book of my mother's - now mine, but I enjoy all of her markings and notes! - called "Closer Walk" published by Walk Through the Bible ministries.

" Father, thank You for Your WORD, which teaches me how to avoid sin. Help me to listen carefully whenever You speak to me through its pages. Cause me to encourage my brothers and sisters in Christ and to draw strength from their example and fellowship

Above all, LORD, grant me a soft, pliable, teachable heart, one that beats strongly for You, one that will not be enticed by worldly pleasure.

AMEN"

That was wonderful!!!

Post subject: From Acts Chapter 2
PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 11:55 am 

They were devoting themselves to the apostles teaching and to fellowship, a to the breaking of bread and to prayer.
Every day a they continued to gather together by common consent in the temple courts, b breaking bread from c house to house, sharing their food with glad d and humble hearts, e 47 praising God and having the good will a of all the people. And the Lord was adding to their number every day b those who were being saved.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 12:15 pm 

laurajean wrote:

AMEN"

Thank you for sharing that prayer, Laurajean.
Thats a KEEPER!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 1:06 pm 

Amen. I tend to read too much other "stuff", too. I love it when it points me back to the Word. BUT, I need to make sure I'm spending time in the Word regularly before branching out to other stuff. I love the section you wrote. When dh first got saved there WERE Bible studies every single day! It was amazing and he grew by leaps and bounds. Sad that we don't allow ourselves to have those times now.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 4:07 pm 

My favorite book of all time is "Valley of Vision". A collection of Puritan prayers and devotions and much better tthan anything I could say or write myself. So Biblical, so deep. I highly reccommend it.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 4:15 pm 

http://www.oldlandmarks.com/puritan.htm#The Valley of Vision

I found an online resource with excerpts of Kysa's book, if anyone would like a preview.