It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 5:42 pm

HSC AffiliatesClick here for our affiliate link to Christianbook.comDonate to HSC

Post subject: Parable of the talents...
PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 3:29 pm 

Does it seem right to you that the Master was angry with the one that didn't use the talent given him because he knew his Master was a harsh man? I can so relate to this poor man that hasn't been given any instructions to carry out and just this ambiguous ominous task of holding this talent for his Master's return. :? I am one of those that contemplate far too long before acting.

When an elementary school teacher bro't up this point a picture flashed in my mind. Tell me if you think this is a proper look at the meaning, or not.

If a school teacher gives to her students some pieces of different colored and different shaped construction paper pieces with some glue and brads and maybe some glitter or crayons and leaves them to work while she's gone, how will she grade them when she comes back? If she sees an artistic piece of work, she will be impressed. If she sees a goofy lop-sided (even ugly) piece of work, she will be amused. If she sees all the art supplies put away and not used she may think the student is pulling a fast one or was too lazy or disobedient to even give it a shot. Next time she may not give that student the things to work with but give the others the extras.

Post subject: Re: Parable of the talents...
PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 12:51 am 

Here's what my study Bible says:

This parable illustrates the use of gifts given by God. Even one talent was a great sum of money; here it represents the goodness God has bestowed on each person. The amount each receives is based on that person's abilities. God does not show partiality in the ultimate reward, for all are invited to share the same joy.

The wicked and lazy servant could not evade responsibility for ignoring his talent, for idleness is as much a rejection of God as outright wickedness. Burying the talent in the ground is an illustration of using one's God-given gifts for earthly pursuits. The bankers represent other faithful people to whom the man could have turned to help him use his talents wisely. Since help was available to him in the church, the man has no excuse.

Post subject: Thats how I've looked at it, Darla.
PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 10:33 am 

How are "we" using what God, has given us, to reach people for Him.