It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:19 am

HSC AffiliatesClick here for our affiliate link to Christianbook.comDonate to HSC

Post subject: Biblical genealogies
PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 8:10 pm 

I love Genesis. :D One of the things that intrigues me are the genealogies. They are there for a purpose. I was confused by the names - Cain's descendants vs Seth's descendants - so I wrote them out together. I know the timelines for the two lines would be different. We don't have the ages of Cain's line but we do of Seth's line. It's interesting to me to compare the two. Here are things I found:

The names in both lines are very similar. Cain had Enoch and Seth had Enosh. Further down Seth's line there is an Enoch, so both lines had Enoch's. Both lines also had Lamech's. Cain's line had Mehujael and Seth's line had Mehalalel. Cain's line had Methushael and Seth's line had Methuselah.

Both Lamech's have distinguished lives. Cain's Lamech is the first mentioned to have married two wives. From those two wives came FOUR distinguished children! Jubal was the first to raise livestock and live in tents. Jubal was the first to play the harp and flute. Tubal-cain was he first worker of bronze and iron tools. And Naamah is the first dd mentioned.

Seth's Lamech, OTOH, was the father of NOAH! In turn, Noah had 3 distinguished sons, Shem, Ham and Japheth who became the 3 lines that all future humans would come from.

Does everyone here believe in the hundreds of years ages? Or do some believe the mis-translation idea? The question I would have for the mis-translation idea would be about Kenan, Mahalalel and Enoch at the time of their son's births.

Hmmmm. :ugeek: