It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:35 pm

HSC AffiliatesClick here for our affiliate link to Christianbook.comDonate to HSC

Post subject: Re: Are you doing any Bible studies?
PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 6:27 pm 

"Right now church means gathering together to study, a meal and some songs : )" That sounds wonderful to me!!

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 7:57 pm 

Pam in Colorado wrote:
"Right now church means gathering together to study, a meal and some songs : )" That sounds wonderful to me!!

Sounds wonderful to me, too! :)

I can do ALL things through Christ, who strengthens me. (Phil. 4:13)

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 1:12 pm 

Just finishing teaching Made to Crave at our church. Tonight is the last session.
Our church has been doing an intensive study through the book of Philippians, and we just had a special 3 day feature on the book of Revelation, taught by the President of Phoenix Seminary, Dr. Darrel Delhousaye. I probably mispelled his name, but it was VERY good.

Looking forward to simply putting my study efforts into the Advent season and history. Not sure what I'm going to do after the New Year.

I agree with Briva...church is meeting together with others and studying together with others, not necessarily within the confines of a building, but searching the scriptures together for truth.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 2:13 pm 

LisaTX wrote:
I did the "Esther" bible study with some ladies at my last church and we had a blast! We dragged it out for months and had great discussions. It really made a boring book of the Bible come alive for me ...

You think ESTHER is a boring book?! You need to attend a Purim party! LOL Esther is an awesome and even entertaining book, imo.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 3:27 pm 

I *thought* it was boring. Maybe because I just read through it without thinking much about it or paying attention to the details. Spending so much time in it, dissecting it and discussing it with others brought it to life for me and now I love that book!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 9:08 pm 

Pam in Colorado wrote:
Sis, I actually like reading books about people in Scripture (or other time periods I have not lived in) that do take some liberties of placing them in time traditional context. I realize that it may not be totally accurate, but it helps me "see" history, and imagine how one might have been.

I also like to picture things like "heaping coals of fire on your enemy's head" or "a millstone around your neck" and then to see a millstone or an olive press, in real life and be able to have that "ah ha" connection of the true weight/process of the imagery.

I don't do so well with scripted Bible studies. Steph touched on some of the "why" for me as well. There is so much that people add on, that is not always true to the meaning of the Scripture. Frustrates me.

Well, finally something we're different in! 8-) I don't like Veggie Tales for the same reasons I don't like biblical novels and movies. I often don't know if I've read something or seen it. It gets confused in my brain.

I *do* like to see real millstones or other real artifacts from the time period - we've seen jewelry of the time period that was unearthed in Jerusalem - 8-) . I imagine walking in the area where Christ walked and seeing the places talked of in the Bible would be pretty amazing.

I don't like things "added on" but I do appreciate those that have studied deeper and longer than I have pointing out other scripture that could/does pertain or connections I might not see.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 9:59 pm 

I'm with you on this one, Sis. I seldom like Biblical films, because I don't want to read the Gospels and picture an actor as Jesus. I'm especially disturbed by the plastic way a lot of actors portray Him - never a fluctuation in tone of voice or an intense facial expression. (And, I don't think ANYONE can do the job well - I just see it as humanly impossible)

But, I DO like veggie tales - as I'm NEVER going to be reading thru Exodus and read about Moses & picture a cucumber ; ) (At least, I HOPE I won't :? )