It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 8:41 pm

HSC AffiliatesClick here for our affiliate link to Christianbook.comDonate to HSC

Post subject: Are you doing any Bible studies?
PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 6:37 pm 

I mean the kind where you follow a book or guide? If so, what?

Post subject: Re: Are you doing any Bible studies?
PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 6:46 pm 

We are doing Jonah by Priscilla shirer. Also a Beth Moore study on Esther. Don't do that one much. Don't care for Beth moore

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 6:47 pm 

Don't care for Beth Moore's .... style? doctrines? personally?

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 6:49 pm 

Not a study, but readings. I use an app guide on my phone that tells me the church readings for each day.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 7:23 pm 

Darla wrote:
Not a study, but readings. I use an app guide on my phone that tells me the church readings for each day.

I do the same thing as Darla, except by email. The subscribe is at the bottom of this page:
http://www.goarch.org/chapel/

And, of course, every day Little One and I read three Bible stories together (I read her one, she reads me two) for school.

I tend to do more intensive reading from time to time. But haven't done much lately.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 8:23 am 

Darla wrote:

Her videos are too long winded. I also feel she takes liberties in making things look like they don't for a good story. I actually find that a lot. Just like in my Jonah study. The teacher described what Jonah must have looked like coming out of the belly of the fish based on someone who had been swallowed by a shark. The bible doesn't say what Jonah looked like. Maybe God protected his body so that there was no deterioration. I really pay attention to those type of details. Lots of bible teachers embellish.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 1:22 pm 

I understand what you're saying TXStephanie. I won't read novels like "Esther" that try to take you right into the time period and have you "there" when it takes place. It's too easy for our brains to incorporate that into the Truth.

I do sometimes think for myself how it would've been. Sometimes it makes me ask more questions and when I find answers that reinforce the Truth it lifts my faith. The "scientific" description of Christ's death on the cross is one of those instances. I don't like to imagine myself "there" tho'. Like you said, we can't know! I don't try to imagine how they were dressed or what they looked like or too much how they felt because they lived in a different world than I live in. "Experts" try to tell us all about their lifestyle but they were not there. They do not know what these particular people lived like. If someone tried to say how "Americans" lived 100 years ago they might get it right for a group of Americans but they would be WILDLY off for a majority of them.

Occasionally there are things that I would like to know like to understand like "heaping coals of fire on your enemy's head". I believe that is a "nice" thing but I don't think most of us would think that just reading it. "Entering heaven is harder for a rich man than for a camel to go through the eye of a needle". Hmmm. Are there other things like that? I imagine so.

So, *I*'m being long-winded answering this! ;-) I've not heard Beth Moore speak and have not done her studies.

Do you have a favorite Bible study teacher?

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 2:17 pm 

I did the "Esther" bible study with some ladies at my last church and we had a blast! We dragged it out for months and had great discussions. It really made a boring book of the Bible come alive for me and now I actually remember the details of the chapter, that I had missed or forgotten when reading it. Like all people, Beth Moore is a flawed human and I have heard her quote scripture out of context and come to conclusions that I disagreed with, but I trust her intentions and I get a lot out of her studies. I bought her Bible study on David, but haven't started it yet. I plan to do all her studies.

I also did some of the "Jonah" study, but didn't care much for it.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 4:36 pm 

Sis, I actually like reading books about people in Scripture (or other time periods I have not lived in) that do take some liberties of placing them in time traditional context. I realize that it may not be totally accurate, but it helps me "see" history, and imagine how one might have been.

I also like to picture things like "heaping coals of fire on your enemy's head" or "a millstone around your neck" and then to see a millstone or an olive press, in real life and be able to have that "ah ha" connection of the true weight/process of the imagery.

I don't do so well with scripted Bible studies. Steph touched on some of the "why" for me as well. There is so much that people add on, that is not always true to the meaning of the Scripture. Frustrates me.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 4:53 pm 

Been taking a breather after an 18mth study reading through Luke. We are starting a home/church/group with a pastor friend next Sunday night. Dh has been discipling two young men from work and now this pastor will hopefully take over from where dh left off. We'd like to see them going to church. Right now church means gathering together to study, a meal and some songs : )

"...with men this is impossible, but with God all things are possible." Matthew 19:26