It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 11:21 pm

HSC AffiliatesClick here for our affiliate link to Christianbook.comDonate to HSC

Post subject: Isaiah 8
PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 12:37 pm 

Fear God, Heed His Word (vs 11-22)

For the Lord spoke thus to me with a strong hand, and instructed me that I should not walk in the way of this people, saying: “Do not say, ‘A conspiracy,’ concerning all that this people call a conspiracy, nor be afraid of their threats, nor be troubled.
The Lord of hosts, Him you shall hallow; let Him be your fear, and let Him be your dread. He will be as a sanctuary, but a stone of stumbling and a rock of offense to both the houses of Israel, as a trap and a snare to the inhabitants of Jerusalem.
And many among them shall stumble; they shall fall and be broken, be snared and taken.” Bind up the testimony, seal the law among my disciples. And I will wait on the Lord, who hides His face from the house of Jacob; and I will hope in Him.
Here am I and the children whom the Lord has given me! We are for signs and wonders in Israel from the Lord of hosts, who dwells in Mount Zion. And when they say to you, “Seek those who are mediums and wizards, who whisper and mutter,” should not a people seek their God? Should they seek the dead on behalf of the living? To the law and to the testimony! If they do not speak according to this word, it is because there is no light in them. They will pass through it hard-pressed and hungry; and it shall happen, when they are hungry, that they will be enraged and curse their king and their God, and look upward. Then they will look to the earth, and see trouble and darkness, gloom of anguish; and they will be driven into darkness.

Matthew Henry's take: That if they kept up the fear of God, and kept down the fear of man, they should find God their refuge (v. 11-14), and while others stumbled, and fell into despair, they should be enabled to wait on God, and should see themselves reserved for better times (v. 15-18). Lastly, He gives a necessary caution to all, at their peril, not to consult with familiar spirits, for they would thereby throw themselves into despair, but to keep close to the word of God (v. 19-22). And these counsels and these comforts will still be of use to us in time of trouble.

"...with men this is impossible, but with God all things are possible." Matthew 19:26

Post subject: Re: Isaiah 8
PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 2:23 pm 

Amen. Let us not get caught up in the fear of what might happen in the next year, 4 years, 10 years... Let us focus on the promises of God. Follow His ways, go to Him with our concerns and see what He has to say about them. Do what we can do to bring about good in the world and let the worries of what might be, remain with the One who knows what will be.