It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 2:28 am

HSC AffiliatesClick here for our affiliate link to Christianbook.comDonate to HSC

Post subject: Bible translations.
PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 7:07 pm 

I'm back in the market for my "last" new Bible. I need a large print. I've looked at large print Bibles that have the notes in small print, and the names on the maps and other illustrations in small print - puh! That's just dumb. If you need large print you need it everywhere there's print! :roll:

I found one I really liked yesterday but I hadn't decided which translations I for sure do NOT want, nor the one I would choose first... or second.

I was looking at a "Common" English version? Or something like that. I just don't know enough about it.

Let's see if I can think of considerations besides those stated above about text size.

Thought for thought vs Word for word? I know I don't like The Message and I don't want an interlinear.

I want one that includes the verses left out of the NIV like Matthew 18:11 and 1 Tim 6:5. (I know there are some NIV Bibles that include those verses and make note of it.)

I do NOT want a gender neutral or any other newfangle thing they've messed with.

One of the things that deters me away from the New International Reader's Version is simply its use of "I" where the other translations all say "we" - noted in 2 Cor 10:13.

I like the less wordy ones so it's easier to memorize and easier to understand when reading aloud to others. (Which would rule out KJV, which I like.)

I'm wondering *what I don't know*!
I just read that the CEV has changed the wording that could offend Jews into generic wording, like instead of "the Jews" it would say "the people". Or instead of "the Jewish leaders" it says "the leaders". THAT's the thing that makes me so cautious in choosing a translation. :?

And by the by, should we be concerned that Bible translators and publishers hold so tightly to their copyrights? I know that Zondervan is a really big marketer. I suppose that's the world we live in. ???

Last edited by Sis on Fri Nov 09, 2012 7:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: Bible translations.
PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 7:26 pm 

Your description of what you want - at first glance - seems to me to fit the New King James pretty well.

How blessed we are to have so many translations to choose from, when many people don't have a single translation in their mother-tongue!

(before you buy one, ask me if I have one of the description you want on hand - I've got a BUNCH of Bibles in the house, and am absolutely unable to read them all)

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 7:33 pm 

I like my NKJV. But we also have ESV on audio Bible and it's pretty good as well.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 7:51 pm 

WHY do you like the ones you like?

Anna, would yours have the large print with large print notes and map locations?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 10:08 pm 

You may like the NCV. I bought these years ago for a lady who worked with woman in a halfway house, they wanted an easy to understand Bible. Here's a giant print version and the reviewer says its Max Lucado's version preference.

http://www.amazon.com/Personal-Size-Gia ... 0718013085

"...with men this is impossible, but with God all things are possible." Matthew 19:26

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 10:14 pm 

You let me know what you need, Sis - and I'll see if we have something of that description. I'll admit we don't have TOO many large print versions - most are regular.

In the word for word or idea for idea, my preference is word-for-word for everyday reading, idea for idea for the occasional fresh perspective.

I tend to like em all - except the heretical ones (produced by particular sects promoting their own doctrine).

Of course, I have the advantage that when I don't understand something or wonder about the word choice of the translator, DH is right there : )

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 10:39 pm 
Site Owner

I love NKJV, but I also have a parallel Bible since I think it is cool to ponder deeper meanings from the different translations.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 10:48 pm 

Not sure you are ready for this, Sis, but I love my Bible software on my nook. I downloaded the Bible Reader software from Olive Tree. I got KJV and American Standard version for free. Also free, I have a Strongs Concordance and a Matthew Henry Commentary. I paid for an ESV translation. And I can SET THE FONT SIZE on all of them to whatever I want. I have little, but I bought a nook and loaded the same stuff for a dear friend who is now 98. I did that because it was easier to do large print that way, then buy her a large print Bible. She is 98 pounds dripping wet, and the large print Bibles were bigger than she is!
Off to read my latest book on the nook.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 11:19 pm 

hehehe Cute, Kysa. But, I have a Bible on my phone from Olive Tree. I like it, too! I also have the freebie KJV on my Kindle. But, I'm looking for the big, lay on my lap, Bible. There's still nothing like *handling* the Word and writing in it. (I do take notes on my electronic ones and highlight in the fun colors, too!)

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 11:22 pm 

Martha, I think a parallel would be great! But, I can't imagine the SIZE of a large print parallel, can you?! LOL I'll keep my eye out.

I'm a sucker for pretty colors - the cover, the maps, the illustrations and pics. I have to be careful not to get drawn in by "pretty". I could get that nice NIV in a pretty turquoise for $85 or the same thing in black for $40. Hmmmmm.

I found the large print parallel Bibles!!! :D The ones I've seen so far only have 2 different versions but HEY! That's decent!

Last edited by Sis on Sat Nov 10, 2012 12:05 am, edited 1 time in total.