It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 3:53 am

HSC AffiliatesClick here for our affiliate link to Christianbook.comDonate to HSC

Post subject: Advent
PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 6:14 pm 

I'm looking forward to Advent. Hard to believe we're entering the nativity season again already. We begin Advent November 15th and I think another practice is the Sunday after Thanksgiving. Anyone else preparing to prepare for Christmas? :)

Last edited by Darla on Thu Nov 08, 2012 2:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: Advent
PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 9:06 pm 

I've bought Christmas cards! Found some blank cards at Hobby Lobby, red, green and white at fifty to a box for $10.

I was trying to find some religious wrapping paper to use for decoupage but didnt find any :( If anybody needs justin beeber paper they have it at Target, lol.

"...with men this is impossible, but with God all things are possible." Matthew 19:26

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 12:39 am 

We don't treat Christmas as a religious holiday.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 2:21 am 

scottbiddle wrote:
Good grief, Scott -- then why did you post? This would be a thread NOT for you, then. ;) The idea was to talk about how people DO participate in Advent.

For those of who DO look toward honoring the incarnation of Christ with solemn and serious anticipation, what are you doing to get prepare? We'll be getting our Jesse Tree ornaments out on Nov. 15 to start hanging them daily until Nativity (the ornaments represent events and people throughout the Scriptures). We hang those on a wooden cranberry garland strung across the front of the fireplace. I also purchased 2" x 3" laminated icons of saints celebrated who lives are commemorated during the 45 days before Christmas to hang as ornaments on our actual Christmas tree. At least I *think* I purchased them -- I better check.

Last edited by Darla on Thu Nov 08, 2012 2:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 2:48 am 

I'm still on the fence about what to do. I think I may try to find some printable coloring pages and make a Jesse tree out of that.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 8:38 am 

I am working on this one...

Things are just different this year. My 2nd son moved out in July, so now both boys are gone and we just have one child left. This gradual emptying of the nest has been harder for me emotionally than I anticipated, and this seems to make everything more difficult for me! :? I probably need an attitude adjustment!

My church has a Hanging of the Greens ceremony the Sunday following Thanksgiving. We have an entire service around hanging the wreaths, setting out poinsettias, hanging the Chrismons on the tree, the Advent wreath and candles, etc. I have always loved this service, but will probably miss it. :cry: We spend so much time going back and forth to my parents it sometimes makes it hard for me to "know" where I really belong, KWIM?

Anyway, I need to do something to take my focus off myself and put it where it needs to be. In the past we have done a daily reading from one of the Jotham's Journey books, or some other type of reading. I need to do something that *travels* well since I make so many trips. I look forward to hearing what the rest of you have planned....I hope I can get some good ideas! :)

I can do ALL things through Christ, who strengthens me. (Phil. 4:13)

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 8:51 am 

Darla wrote:
scottbiddle wrote:
Good grief, Scott -- then why did you post? This would be a thread NOT for you, then. ;)

Me, I was just answering the question somebody asked in the first post of this thread:
"Anyone else preparing to prepare for Christmas?"

Not trying to cause controversy here.
;)

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 1:25 am 

Thanks for reminding me. I need to gather some things to make our Advent Wreath.
We usually read a book on Handel's Messiah that is based on Advent. It's still packed with our Christmas things and I can't remember the exact Title, but it's a family tradition to celebrate our Lord's Birth.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 9:00 am 
Site Owner

We love the Handel's Messiah book. It really brings the music to life!

Here is a link to the review. For those who would like to try it, click on the Amazon link, and I'm betting you'll find some very inexpensive, used copies.
http://www.homeschoolchristian.com/curr ... advent.php

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 10:36 am 

My Mom loved Handel's Messiah! She sang it in college, and knew most - if not all of it by heart (it's a great way to memorize Scripture!)

She played it for us during the Christmas season, and also in July when we did Christmas (music)-in-July at home : )

For us, we're just doing the normal things of the Church for the season.

But, I also got a book called "The Biggest Birthday Party: An Advent Calendar for the Orthodox Family" http://www.light-n-life.com/shopping/or ... um=BIGG100
that can be used for a couple of weeks before Christmas. Each day, it examines one part of the Christmas story, and one section of the Nativity Icon. That way, when we look at the Icon, it will hold more meaning for us. It has a Bible passage to read, a very short passage to help children relate the story to their own lives, and a line drawing of the section of the Icon depicting that thing/event.