It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 6:04 am

HSC AffiliatesClick here for our affiliate link to Christianbook.comDonate to HSC

Post subject: Re: To all...
PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 10:31 am 

Pam - I never suggested, implied, or even *thought* that everyone here ought to become Orthodox.

Your now deleted post in the last thread told me that I could not say anything was "Truth" not even to say that an accusation against my Church was inaccurate. I felt that in your role as a moderator you were trying to silence me.

Your words are gently put, but they give me the feeling that you just don't *like* me. Which is, I guess, your right - but it does sadden me.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 11:57 am 

Anna, there is nothing about you that I dislike. I have never felt that way. Since my post was deleted I can not go back and accurately refer to it, but I never said you could not speak Truth. I believe I said I did not know if what was said against your church was inaccurate or accurate as I did not have enough information myself to know, but I do know that many people over the years have stated something as truth when in fact there was error in it, and that only God has full truth (paraphrased). I was not trying to silence anyone, in fact I am rarely for freezing anything because I do appreciate polite back and forth between people and even if something gets a bit heated, it usually works itself out for good. I did not make the freeze decision, but I support the decision to do so. I was only giving a caution to ALL and stated that it was NOT pointed at you, just that you had been the most recent one to make such a statement.

Hopefully you now know that I do not dislike you at all. Never have, and can't see why I ever would. If I had a personal issues with you or anyone else, I would have a private conversation with you/them so we could have clarity on the why. Usually though, my own issues with someone is often stemming from something that links to my own life and I remain silent so as not to project my stuff on someone else.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 12:32 pm 

Darla, I couldn't agree more with this tho't: Many of these perspectives have been made by people who claim to be historians with several degrees, and lots of study, or what have you, behind them. And those coming from both sides say that what they believe is Scriptural. Hopefully you can see why saying "I've studied this since I was a teen and as I got several degrees" and "The Bible matches what I'm saying" doesn't hold final sway.

I know a man that has a string of letters behind his name. He's been a professional student his whole life and never really held a "real" job for long. He has about a half a million dollar student loan debt. Thankfully he doesn't come off quite as a know-it-all but, sometimes, he's dangerously close. He's well read and has some interesting conclusions but not all of them hold water, imho. :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 12:36 pm 

Sis wrote:
Darla, I couldn't agree more with this tho't: Many of these perspectives have been made by people who claim to be historians with several degrees, and lots of study, or what have you, behind them. And those coming from both sides say that what they believe is Scriptural. Hopefully you can see why saying "I've studied this since I was a teen and as I got several degrees" and "The Bible matches what I'm saying" doesn't hold final sway.

I know a man that has a string of letters behind his name. He's been a professional student his whole life and never really held a "real" job for long. He has about a half a million dollar student loan debt. Thankfully he doesn't come off quite as a know-it-all but, sometimes, he's dangerously close. He's well read and has some interesting conclusions but not all of them hold water, imho. :mrgreen:

I once heard from a Preacher at a Church of God convention: "You can have 32 degrees and still be Frozen!" :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 12:38 pm 

Pam in Colorado wrote:
Anna, there is nothing about you that I dislike. I have never felt that way. Since my post was deleted I can not go back and accurately refer to it, but I never said you could not speak Truth. I believe I said I did not know if what was said against your church was inaccurate or accurate as I did not have enough information myself to know, but I do know that many people over the years have stated something as truth when in fact there was error in it, and that only God has full truth (paraphrased). I was not trying to silence anyone, in fact I am rarely for freezing anything because I do appreciate polite back and forth between people and even if something gets a bit heated, it usually works itself out for good. I did not make the freeze decision, but I support the decision to do so. I was only giving a caution to ALL and stated that it was NOT pointed at you, just that you had been the most recent one to make such a statement.

Hopefully you now know that I do not dislike you at all. Never have, and can't see why I ever would. If I had a personal issues with you or anyone else, I would have a private conversation with you/them so we could have clarity on the why. Usually though, my own issues with someone is often stemming from something that links to my own life and I remain silent so as not to project my stuff on someone else.

Thank you for your kind words, Pam.

Perhaps I am to some degree projecting "my own stuff" as you put it.

I spent a few years of childhood in a very toxic "Christian School" environment - perhaps I am just too easily hurt as a result.

My apologies for any offense I have caused.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 12:58 pm 
Site Owner

Ladies and gents,
I made the decision to freeze that thread and due to a strange coincidence of timing, the final post went in after I posted about freezing and before I hit the freeze button. I deleted that post at Pam's request, because I hadn't noticed it there.

I froze that thread so we could move on, and ahem, we're still stuck.

So I ask again, can we please move on? See the other post regarding the future of this board, and let's move on to that. Thank you!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 1:06 pm 

I once heard from a Preacher at a Church of God convention: "You can have 32 degrees and still be Frozen!" :lol: :lol:

:lol: :lol: So true!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 2:03 pm 

Martha, I hope it's okay to speak freely about something. If not, feel free to correct me. I'm posting here because I also will post on the other thread, answering the questions asked there, but these comments address your post above.

I don't see that we're "stuck" again as you put it. I really don't. Can we not, as mature adults, have a conversation without people thinking we're arguing? I think we can, and that's how I perceive this thread. That's ALL I've seen in this thread and the other one -- discussion. If people think we're arguing and mad, and that things are getting out of control, maybe the issue is with their perception, not with the discussion at hand. Also, I saw questions, explanations and then some apologies above as well. This is GOOD. Mature people who respect other people and their beliefs can work things out.

We disagree -- that's life! It's okay, it really is. Just because those disagreements come up as a topic of conversation doesn't mean we're arguing, mad or "stuck." Don't we want to be able to develop the skill of relating to people of other opinions/beliefs? Don't we want to teach our children this skill? I've learned SO much about other religions and how to accept people for where they are at the WTM boards because there are a myriad of any and all beliefs there, and for the most part people discuss without anger. People will say, "That's not what I believe, I believe this -- " and it's respected (and ignored by some, as necessary).

Can we take a poll or something to see if the majority of the people here feel the same way as you and the moderators? I really honestly don't think these threads have gotten out of hand lately. I've enjoyed the conversation and hope it will continue.

ETA - This post might be a good example. If I sound mad, I'm not. I'm just in a hurry to get to work. I've just stated some things, some opinions, some questions. I'm not trying to argue with you/the mods. at all -- just asking some real questions out loud.