It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 4:20 am

HSC AffiliatesClick here for our affiliate link to Christianbook.comDonate to HSC

Post subject: To all...
PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 2:51 pm 
Site Owner

I've read some but not all of the larger threads that have gone by on this board. Thanks to all of you for your participation!!! Things said on HSC's Bible study board have actually led others to Christ, and we definitely should celebrate that!

Some of the discussions have been a little heated lately, and I'm a bit concerned that perhaps we may have forgotten that we have more in common than it sometimes appears. Would you please consider this? If a seeker of truth dropped in on your comments, would that person be led closer to Christ or pushed away? It's OK for us to agree on the big things and agree to disagree on some of the details, isn't it? Please be gentle with one another and choose words to bring us together and lead others to our midst.

Thanks, everyone! May the Lord bless each if you. :0)

Post subject: Re: To all...
PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 3:12 pm 

I have really enjoyed the discussions on the board, thank you for moderating. It's funny how people see things differently! I didn't see anything as "heated." It's life, people have different perspectives and there can be discussion about those things. It's funny, when I give my husband a different perspective, he often acts like I'm trying to fight with him. That's not necessarily the case -- I'm just stating a different point of view, idea, option, etc. Discussion isn't necessarily arguing but I totally get and respect that as a moderator, it might be hard to manage it all. Thanks for all you do, Martha!

I do think as I said in that last thread, that I hope we can continue on in our discussions without perhaps personally taking on the approach of trying to disprove others (and if I've used that tactic myself, I do humbly apologize).

It seems like we're all adults, and many of us have been here for 8-10 years or more. Many of us have a different "form" of Christianity than others, and all need to be respected and honored, it seems. There are quite a few people considering Orthodoxy on this board, or at least interested in what it's about compared to what they know, and a couple of us have converted from western to eastern Christianity. It's part of the fabric of HSC in a way, now, in that way. We're real people, veterans of HSC and we've become (or are becoming) Orthodox. But none of us, I don't believe, are saying everyone else needs to be Orthodox, too. Again, if I've said anything that makes it seem that way, I do apologize.

Onward and upward! The goal is communion with God and we all press on to take a hold of that in the knowledge/understanding and beliefs we each have.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 3:24 pm 

Darla, I don't think anyone feels that you, personally, are saying such things. Your suggestion to Scott was a great way to move forward and keep the integrity of the purpose of the board and the relationships between those of us here at HSC and with those who hopefully join us over the years.

We need to be open to God's leading of where He wants us, and if He is leading one to Orthodoxy (or any other denomination) then we had better follow. If He were to lead one out of Orthodoxy/other denomination, one had better follow Him as well. He knows! We don't always. Thanks for your graciousness in what you have shared.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 3:32 pm 

Pam in Colorado wrote:
Darla, I don't think anyone feels that you, personally, are saying such things. Your suggestion to Scott was a great way to move forward and keep the integrity of the purpose of the board and the relationships between those of us here at HSC and with those who hopefully join us over the years.

We need to be open to God's leading of where He wants us, and if He is leading one to Orthodoxy (or any other denomination) then we had better follow. If He were to lead one out of Orthodoxy/other denomination, one had better follow Him as well. He knows! We don't always. Thanks for your graciousness in what you have shared.
Thank you, Pam, that's very kind. I wish the thread could have stayed on topic with the video, because it was a really good video showing not only what the Orthodox faith is like (for anyone interested), but also how someone who's Orthodox and someone who's not can relate to each other in a mutually respectful way even if they don't agree on the conclusions.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 4:00 pm 

I think that the discussion might have been the slightest bit tense, but I would hesitate to describe it as heated. I thought it was a good back and forth, but I am still interested to hear which facts I allegedly got completely wrong (feel free to PM me with any of those, anybody who was involved in the discussion). As I said, my sources on things "orthodox" are "orthodox" writings, "orthodox" congregants, and an "orthodox" church I have visited. Feel free to share any other "orthodox" info with me.

(and if I was overly direct in any of my communications, please accept my apologies)

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 4:40 pm 

scottbiddle wrote:
As I said, my sources on things "orthodox" are "orthodox" writings, "orthodox" congregants, and an "orthodox" church I have visited...
But from an un-Orthodox (capital O) perspective, so that should be acknowledged, I think, you know? I truly am saying this from an un-frustrated, non-irritated place. You believe what you believe about the Orthodox church, Scott, from a perspective that the we don't ascribe to. You defend your position from a sola scriptura point of view, when we're not sola scriptura so it's not a valid defense on our part. Why not just say, "I see that you're coming from a different place and can fathom that perhaps that place makes sense from your perspective"? It's like me telling someone what baseball is all about and giving my thoughts on how a baseball team should be managed, when I know very little bit about the game, have only been to a couple of games, and have never played. Even if I read a ton about baseball, I couldn't say I really KNOW baseball until I'd been a player in the game. My analogies are never perfect, but just trying to make the point.

Thank you for your kind response in this thread! I fully respect your opinions and your right to them, even if I don't think you're correct in your assertions. I'm trying to maintain a non-combative tone in my posts, and hope I have done so.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 4:55 pm 

Personally, I am deeply hurt and offended. I am seriously considering leaving the board. I have endured some personal attacks in the last few days, and I am treated as a villain for trying to say that what *I* believe and hold dear is being falsly represented by others.

I am really not sure what to do at this point.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 6:29 pm 

Oh Anna. You can't leave. :( Something you can do is just not read posts from people that honk your horn (or whatever term you want to use). I learned that long ago on these boards. Well, not THESE boards specifically but in this type of forum.

I've LOVED reading the thread and learning from it. I'm sorry you felt personally attacked. :( We are certainly vulnerable to that. You are much loved and respected here. (((((ANNA)))))

I, for one, am intrigued by the Orthodox church. It often takes many years for someone to come around to another way of thinking. But, we can't be challenged in our thinking if we can't have some back and forth. Perhaps I didn't read the posts thoroughly enuf to catch the attack; I do tend to skim longer posts. Some of us, and I know I am one, tend to come off harsh and blunt. Your gentle ways are sweet. I know I can learn much from you.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 6:41 pm 

Agreeing! I just re-read most of the thread, and I didn't really see any "heat." I did see posts that could have been taken that way perhaps, if someone didn't hear it with the "voice" the speaker was likely speaking in (or WAS speaking in if we "believe the best" about everyone). For example, sometimes when there are a lot of exclamation points, it can be taken as quick and angry, when it's actually just enthusiastic and part of the speaker's personality. Or there can be quick and blunt without much extra wordiness, which can come across as "I don't have time for you and you don't know as much as me." But neither of things are necessarily what was happening in the thread, right?

I think we should all remember there can be more than one way to "read" a post, and if a post and coming off as angry, harsh, maybe read it again making yourself think "Perhaps there's a different 'voice' here that I'm not hearing." It's not for no reason I love the quote in my signature tag.

Last edited by Darla on Mon Oct 29, 2012 10:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 7:19 pm 

Don't leave, Anna! I mostly stay silent on the Orthodox threads, but I've learned a lot. Even when I don't agree, I see where the other person is coming from. I love your posts and would miss you if you left! I actually did leave for a short period after a debate that turned ugly. I came back for the people I missed. I think I have been pretty good about not posting when emotional or upset and just ignoring posts or people that I know will lead to trouble.