It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 6:24 pm

HSC AffiliatesClick here for our affiliate link to Christianbook.comDonate to HSC

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 41 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: Interesting interview with an Orthodox priest
PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 11:54 am 

Why I like Fr. Seraphim's explanation in the video I posted, its because we have not found HIS church anywhere and we have 'searched' everywhere...except the Orthodox church. The Orthodox church service brought me back to the feeling that you are in a holy place and everything happening there is in worship to God in heaven, the 3 in one, Father, Son and Holy Spirit.

The father(priest) at our church considers all those who believe in the triune God, Christians, even those under the wayward brother(Roman Catholic Patriach/Pope), too. Other denominations use their own traditions - Presbyterians use Calvin's Institutes, the Lutherans use the Augsburg Confession and the Book of Concord, and there are all sorts of creeds and statements of faith which hand pick 'proof texts' from all sorts of translations and used mostly out of context.

Yes, God's word was given in Greek. And in Jesus' time they were even using a Greek OT that was translated from the original Hebrew, the Septuagint. So I value what a 'Greek' church has to say about Scripture and tradition.

"...with men this is impossible, but with God all things are possible." Matthew 19:26

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 12:08 pm 

Carli wrote:
Allie wrote:
... What I found was that denominational churches today don't have an historical basis to deny the facts about the Church, '''

I love that you used "an" before historical! That's what I grew up with and "a" just sounds so wrong to me!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 12:39 pm 

Briva wrote:
The father(priest) at our church considers all those who believe in the triune God, Christians, even those under the wayward brother(Roman Catholic Patriach/Pope), too.
Yes, yes, yes. Not questioning the Christianity of anyone at all. At all. I know some Non-orthodox people who are far better Christians than I.

Last edited by Darla on Fri Oct 26, 2012 1:19 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 12:54 pm 

Sis wrote:
Carli wrote:
Allie wrote:
... What I found was that denominational churches today don't have an historical basis to deny the facts about the Church, '''

I love that you used "an" before historical! That's what I grew up with and "a" just sounds so wrong to me!

Is that correct though, Sis? I struggle with a/an before /h/. 'An' sounds correct... LOL!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 1:04 pm 

Yes, it's still correct, technically. Either way is correct but "an" is going out of vogue and "a" is now the preferred one. I found out that "judgement" is also correct but has been out of vogue for so long that many, like myself, see it as wrong. It is now "judgment". Things change, evolve, devolve, whatever, so much, it's hard to keep up! ;-)

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 1:13 pm 

Sis wrote:
Yes, it's still correct, technically. Either way is correct but "an" is going out of vogue and "a" is now the preferred one. I found out that "judgement" is also correct but has been out of vogue for so long that many, like myself, see it as wrong. It is now "judgment". Things change, evolve, devolve, whatever, so much, it's hard to keep up! ;-)
SEE??? You like tradition! Hahahahaha. :lol: ;)

Last edited by Darla on Fri Oct 26, 2012 1:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 1:18 pm 

Sis wrote:

Yes, and it's funny you mention the change and evolve. That goes back to my earlier statement about the 'language barrier' in the video and among Orthodox and Protestants. Because of the way language has evolved, trying to have a conversation when one defines a word *this* way and the other defines the word *that* way, makes it very difficult.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 3:54 pm 

Ah, you got me! ;-) I *do* like tradition, ... sometimes.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 4:01 pm 

Sis wrote:
Ah, you got me! ;-) I *do* like tradition, ... sometimes.
Heehee. It's true though, there's something in us that likes things to be the same / tradition. It's comforting. I think of standing in the same place at church nearly every single time we have a service. I used to think there'd be something virtuous with being able to move around from here to there, service to service, but we're creatures of habit and there's not really anything wrong with that in a lot of ways.

I was taught judgment in journalism school 25 years ago, by the way. When did that start to change away from judgement?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 4:24 pm 
Anna1111 wrote:
Allie wrote:
Actually, if you read the epistles, the church was changing while the apostles were alive! That's why we have so many warnings against false prophets, and wrong teachings, and "another gospel". The early Christians were already encountering it.

I was very troubled overnight by this post.

If a newlywed woman is propositioned by a strange man, and she rebuffs him vehemently, is she then an adulteress?

The early Church, Christ's Newlywed Bride DID have many assaults by the Evil One, but She was *faithful* and rebuffed those attacks.

She continues to do so to this day.

Are there humans who sin in the Church? Most definitely! Has the Bride of Christ abandoned Him? Absolutely not. It is an important distinction.

HIS story did not stop at the end of the New Testament, because HE IS ALIVE!

I'm sorry you were troubled by my post. My faith is simple. Do I love the Lord? Yes. Do I believe every word that proceeds out of the mouth of the Lord [the bible]? Yes, and literally. Am I saved? Yes. I don't follow the traditions of men, I follow the bible, and that's all I need. I don't see the need to study history, and I really don't have the time. I'm not looking to get into a debate, just stating my position - I'm not sure why my post troubled you, I was simply mentioning that the bible states that the early churches were coming under attack by wolves in sheep's clothing. I really don't see distinctions in churches - you're either saved or you aren't. The house you worship at doesn't matter to me. I'm not sure I understand most of your post, or what point you're trying to make....

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 41 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next