It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:48 pm

HSC AffiliatesClick here for our affiliate link to Christianbook.comDonate to HSC

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 41 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: Interesting interview with an Orthodox priest
PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 9:22 pm 

Allie wrote:
I study my KJV bible, the inerrant and infallible word of God. I don't see the need to study anything else. My faith is very simple.

Me too, Allie. I am a simple person! ;)

I can do ALL things through Christ, who strengthens me. (Phil. 4:13)

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 2:05 am 

I'm a simple Bible-believing Christian too! :)

But isn't history, important also? It is HIS story after all, and He does things for a reason. He started a church, and established it a certain verifiable way for a reason, I think. It IS the body of Christ; it has to mean something. It's part of our faith (and if we look closely, we'll see that the church and its history predates the Bible by several hundred years).

That said, I know it's my opinion and I hope I never, ever come across as judgmental or like I think less of anyone who doesn't think that. I know I need what the Church gives me through its life, but I am trying not to look at the faith of others in any kind of decision making (judgmental) way. We are all on a journey home to Him.

Last edited by Darla on Thu Oct 25, 2012 10:45 am, edited 3 times in total.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 9:26 am 

I have also been a simple, Bible believing (Sola Scriptura) Christian since I was 8. Didnt get my own Bible until I was 13, still have it. A plain-jane no red-letter, no anything, simple Bible. But it has always been a treasure. If I didnt have anything else, I had GOD'S WORD. That's just it. That is ALL I had.

Through God's grace, I was able to homeschool for about 13yrs. I reeducated myself during that time, too. I came to love history. There has always been a gap in my historical recollections, those first thousand years after the Birth of Christ. Its been treasured and preserved by the Orthodox church. And it was the Orthodox church that canonized the Bible that we hold dear today.

I have had Bible study with Baptists, Methodists, Pentacostals, Lutherans, Church of Christs, Presbyterians, and no one believes every dot and tittle of the Bible, I do. I believe in miracles, seen them happen, I believe in healings, seen them happen, I believe in speaking in tongues, yes I have experienced that first hand, I believe in guardian angels, witnessed their miraculous interventions. I say that in the company of Bible-believing Christians and I get that look like I am crazy. There is always some excuse as to why they dont believe something in the Bible. Well, I believe that same excuse will be used against them someday.

"...with men this is impossible, but with God all things are possible." Matthew 19:26

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 11:35 am 

I agree, Briva.

I think we must believe the ENTIRE Bible.

Including 2Thess.2:15
Therefore, brethren, stand fast, and hold the traditions which ye have been taught, whether by word, or our epistle.

And
John 16:13
King James Version (KJV)
13 Howbeit when he, the Spirit of truth, is come, he will guide you into all truth: for he shall not speak of himself; but whatsoever he shall hear, that shall he speak: and he will shew you things to come.

2 Timothy 2:2
King James Version (KJV)
2 And the things that thou hast heard of me among many witnesses, the same commit thou to faithful men, who shall be able to teach others also.

Matthew 16:18 - And I say also unto thee, That thou art Peter, and upon this rock I will build my church; and the gates of hell shall not prevail against it.

Jesus quite clearly established His Church and gave her Authority - She is called His Bride in the Scriptures.

I was also raised "Sola Scriptura" - but one day it dawned on me that "Sola Scriptura" is taught *no where* in the Holy Scriptures. Sola Scriptura itself is a doctrine that was *added* to the Bible. The Bible calls the CHURCH the "pillar and ground of truth."

1 Tim. 3:15
King James Bible (Cambridge Ed.)
But if I tarry long, that thou mayest know how thou oughtest to behave thyself in the house of God, which is the church of the living God, the pillar and ground of the truth.

I truly understand where people are coming from who are "Sola Sciptura" - I've been there. I don't have animosity toward those who believe this teaching of Martin Luther from the 1500's.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 8:16 pm 

The problem is that both the "orthodox" church and the "catholic" church practice things and teach doctrines that are different from each other and both claim to be the original church with the "traditions" passed down. The Bible is very clear on what to do when somebody comes to you with any teaching - search the Scriptures. Nobody would dare claim that the "orthodox" church and the "catholic" church are the same doctrinally and in practice, yet they are both traceable to a common 4th century heritage and tradition. The fall of Rome led to a division where the east went one way (following the bishop of Constantinople) and the west went the other way (following the bishop of Rome) and suddenly they both found that their "traditions" were diverging. Paul and John both say to test folks that are telling you something. "The Word" is called truth, not "the traditions."

As for the KJV being inerrant, that's another thread entirely. God's word was given in the Greek, and the translation into English for the KJV was not perfect.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 8:47 pm 

Scott - I respect that you are trying to figure these things out. I would encourage you to earnestly and prayerfully study whether the Orthodox Church IS the Church established by Christ in 33AD - as you say - the Bible encourages us to look at the facts and learn the Truth from Scripture.

Look at the History & Doctrines of the Orthodox Church and - as you say - *Search the Scriptures*

The book "The Orthodox Church" by Kallistos Ware (aka Timothy Ware) is a good place to start to learn what the Orthodox Church is all about.

From several of your posts, I can see that you have many of the facts about Orthodoxy muddled - I mean no offense by saying that, I'm just hopelessly blunt - but I think if you study and learn what Orthodoxy really IS - you will see what I mean.

Because, you see, I've been roughly where you are. Then I looked at the facts - with prayer & a heart open to God's leading.

If I'm wrong, you loose nothing but a few hours of reading time. And, you'll be miles ahead in being more persuasive with us Orthodox folk online : )

The book is readily available at most libraries & cheap on Amazon. But, if you have trouble getting a copy, PM me with your address and I'll send you my copy to read.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 3:39 am 

I do agree with you, Scott, that the Catholic and Orthodox church both claim to be the original church and that it's one of the two that has a linear/apostolic right to say to that. (Wasn't the split in 1054 AD over the filioque clause and papal supremacy? That's what both the Catholic and Orthodox churches say is the "Great Schism." Not sure why the 4th century keeps coming up as the pinpoint of the split.)

Two things prompted my husband and I to back out on the teaching of the Bible being the foundation of the faith: 1) Realizing that the Bible itself doesn't teach that doctrine, and seeing the divisions it has brought in to Christ's Body because of wide and divergent interpretations, and 2) Learning that there was a historical church that still existed (in my prior ignorance, I'd thought there was the original church, then idunno, something went wrong and finally at the reformation everything was righted by ... um, someone). At that point, we knew we had some searching and decision-making to do.

We looked at both the Catholic and Orthodox churches. Well, not really because we somehow knew from the start we couldn't get behind papal supremacy (we later learned why). And, in our understanding, the Catholic church has changed tremendously. They have not stuck to decisions made in church-wide ecumenical councils that they'd attended and been a part of, they changed the Nicene Creed without approval from the other patriarchs, they replaced papal primacy with papal supremacy, they have added new doctrines (the immaculate conception doctrine is less than 200 years old, for example) and so on. The Orthodox Church has not become something new/different. It has developed to be sure (just like an infant develops in to adulthood but is still the same being), but in theology and doctrine, it has not changed.

"Thy Word is truth." Yes, I agree. Thy Word is Christ Jesus the Lord, though, it's not a book -- it's CHRIST. Logos ("word") and graphe ("scripture") are two different words and are not used interchangeably in the New Testament. When logos is used in the Bible, it's referring to Christ or His oral words or to oral preaching. Look it up. "Scripture" (something written) is graphe. I didn't find one time in the New Testament that logos referred to anything written (in dozens of uses). So I don't see that "the Word of God" means anything but Jesus Christ (and by nature, His Church since the Church is Christ's body). Christ came to start a church, not to write a book. The Bible is honored and venerated within the Church because it is a gift of the Holy Spirit to us (and truth be told, I've never seen the Scriptures honored more than since becoming Orthodox; they fill the text of our services, the book is encased in precious metals, we stand when the gospels are read, etc.). But it's the the Church that has the "faith handed down," it's the Church that is Christ presenting Himself tangibly to the world (i.e., His Body), it's the Church that is the "pillar and foundation of the truth." Not the Bible.

In one place where I saw logos used, if it meant the Bible and not Christ, it would have been idolatry. There were several places where it made no sense for it to be a written word. But in all uses, it made wonderfully clear sense to be words taught/spoken by Christ and those He trained (and those they ordained).

Eek I have to work at 6:45 a.m. I better go. I probably talk too much anyway, but I'm just so FULL with the faith of the ancient church. I love it all, every little bit even the hard, difficult parts.

May the Lord have mercy on us all.

Last edited by Darla on Fri Oct 26, 2012 11:19 am, edited 3 times in total.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 5:59 am 

Darla wrote:
I'm a simple Bible-believing Christian too! :)

But isn't history, important also? It is HIS story after all, and He does things for a reason.

Of course history is important. Like you said, it is HIS story! History (in a very small nutshell!) is God working out His purpose and plan down through the ages through His creation.

Just because I am a "simple Bible-Believing Christian" and not Orthodox does not mean that I discount history and deem it unworthy or unimportant. The Bible IS HIS story!

I can do ALL things through Christ, who strengthens me. (Phil. 4:13)

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 9:16 am 

Allie wrote:
Actually, if you read the epistles, the church was changing while the apostles were alive! That's why we have so many warnings against false prophets, and wrong teachings, and "another gospel". The early Christians were already encountering it.

I was very troubled overnight by this post.

If a newlywed woman is propositioned by a strange man, and she rebuffs him vehemently, is she then an adulteress?

The early Church, Christ's Newlywed Bride DID have many assaults by the Evil One, but She was *faithful* and rebuffed those attacks.

She continues to do so to this day.

Are there humans who sin in the Church? Most definitely! Has the Bride of Christ abandoned Him? Absolutely not. It is an important distinction.

HIS story did not stop at the end of the New Testament, because HE IS ALIVE!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 11:02 am 

laurajean wrote:
Darla wrote:
I'm a simple Bible-believing Christian too! :) But isn't history, important also? It is HIS story after all, and He does things for a reason.
Of course history is important. Like you said, it is HIS story! History (in a very small nutshell!) is God working out His purpose and plan down through the ages through His creation.

Just because I am a "simple Bible-Believing Christian" and not Orthodox does not mean that I discount history and deem it unworthy or unimportant. The Bible IS HIS story!
Sorry if it seemed I was questioning you specifically and whether or not you value history, Laura Jean! Carli had suggested that it's good to read the history of the church as Christians, and the reply came that it wasn't necessary because all that was needed was the Bible. Sure there's some of His story in the Bible, but not all of it. It was not created by the Church to be comprehensive in that respect.

Sorry if I was unclear/confusing in that.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 41 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next