It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:07 pm

HSC AffiliatesClick here for our affiliate link to Christianbook.comDonate to HSC

Post subject: Feeling anxious (elder parents visiting)
PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 11:53 am 

It does not help that we did not attend church on Sun. We had made a trip up to see that play near Dallas on Fri. nite, drove back Sat. then visited with friends on Sat. nite and were exhausted by then. My parents will be here Wed nite and staying for about 3wks, if not permanently. We have to determine mom's health (mental and physical). I do plan to attend Bible study that nite. I will not let mom keep me from attending church next Sun. That's why I am anxious. She would be delighted if we gave up church altogether.

There is also a church seminar Oct 5-6, a Fri. nite and a Sat. morning. We have friends joining us. Dont want mom interfering with that, either. Its that balance of honoring your parents and honoring God issue. I hope my older dd can eldersit for us, but she just started a new job, dont know her schedule yet. ugh

"...with men this is impossible, but with God all things are possible." Matthew 19:26

Post subject: Re: Feeling anxious (elder parents visiting)
PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 12:52 pm 

It's been my observation that I often get nervous/anxious before doing something *good* - but almost never before doing something neutral, or something I shouldn't - even when its a much larger undertaking than the good thing.

I've read some Saints who suggest that this phenomenon is an attack of the Evil One.

I will pray for you to have peace & courage in attempting to do a good thing!

If you pray for God to make a way for you to get to Church, I cannot imagine Him saying "No" - could be wrong, but that's my guess : )

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 4:54 pm 

(((Briva)))

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 5:28 pm 

Plan for the worse, expect the best and do what you need to do to find a healthy balance. Let us know how things go.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 11:38 pm 

Anna1111 wrote:
It's been my observation that I often get nervous/anxious before doing something *good* - but almost never before doing something neutral, or something I shouldn't - even when its a much larger undertaking than the good thing.

I've read some Saints who suggest that this phenomenon is an attack of the Evil One.

I will pray for you to have peace & courage in attempting to do a good thing!

If you pray for God to make a way for you to get to Church, I cannot imagine Him saying "No" - could be wrong, but that's my guess : )

Amen.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 1:04 am 

That is a sticky situation. I like what Anna had to say and I don't think God would want you to be kept from church, either.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 5:23 pm 

Praying for things to work out so you can still attend church while your parents are staying with you.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 5:41 pm 

(((Briva))) You absolutely honor your parents, even when they don't realize or recognize it. You honor them when you obey and honor God. And you are doing your best to care for them.

I can do ALL things through Christ, who strengthens me. (Phil. 4:13)

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 8:52 am 
Site Owner

(Briva) How's it going with your folks?

Post subject: Update
PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 3:17 pm 

Wow, its been a very busy two weeks. My mom will be 88 on Nov.30. She is showing some significant short term memory loss. We were able to stabilize my dad's nightly leg cramps with a trace mineral supplement. He now calls my dh his doctor. They also enjoyed some veggie juices and fruit smoothies here, mom said she didnt use her Miralax at all while here.

So we got to see that mom is sleeping well, and caring for herself, dad does have to help remind her to take her meds, he puts them in a pill box for her. He says she forgets stuff on the stove, so he has to supervise cooking. She does a lot of things over and over again like when a record scratches and he has to give her a 'tap' to get her going again. Most of that is getting her out of the bathroom, she goes through a lot of toothpaste, lotion and Bengay :lol:

They will be moving in to my aunt's apartment. My cousin is moving my aunt in with her. She wants my parents in the apartment because then she can get a person to come help clean for my mom. Mom is refusing help but this way she cant, its my aunt's apartment.

Praying we can visit them for Christmas, if the world doesnt end in November :shock: and see how mom is progressing.

Thank you all for praying

"...with men this is impossible, but with God all things are possible." Matthew 19:26