It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 8:54 am

HSC AffiliatesClick here for our affiliate link to Christianbook.comDonate to HSC

Post subject: Church history book ....
PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2012 3:27 pm 

I had a friend recommend this text to me, and I'm really appreciating it. It's kind of a DK type book, but with lots of photos and excellent information about all the important facets of church history. While the author is Orthodox, that's not the gist of the book at all. It's an overview of Christianity in its entirety, both east and west. (I will say I appreciate this about the book, that it doesn't give one or two paragraphs to the east, saying erroneously that it broke off from Rome in the 11th century and leaving it at that, as is common in a lot of texts.)

I know there had been a discussion/question on the old board about a good church history overview.

Post subject: Re: Church history book ....
PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2012 6:18 pm 

Thanks for posting that - it looks great. I'm always trying to scope out things to use with Little One when she is bigger, and since Church History was one of my favorites in school, I'd love to have a good text to share with her when the time comes.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2012 9:02 pm 

I had a church history class in college, and one of the more interesting things we did was have a field trip day. We went to the cathedral in Little Rock and spoke with one of the priests and got some of his perspective, then we went to a synagogue and spoke with the rabbi there (it was Rosh Hoshanah and we weren't allowed to take notes in the synagogue that day), and then we went to the Greek Orthodox church in Little Rock and spoke with the priest there.

Of course, we did textual studies and historical studies as well (and our protestant teacher told us that the split happened in the early 5th century at the fall of Rome, until which time the bishops of Rome and Constantinople had both risen to relatively equivalent positions of scripturally unsupported preeminence within the church)
:lol: :P :twisted:

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2012 12:06 am 

scottbiddle wrote:
(and our protestant teacher told us that the split happened in the early 5th century at the fall of Rome, until which time the bishops of Rome and Constantinople had both risen to relatively equivalent positions of scripturally unsupported preeminence within the church)

Yeah, I didn't learn early church history and theology very well as a protestant, either. Maybe this book would help him! ;)

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2012 12:32 pm 

Thanks for that recommendation. I am going to see about getting that this year.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2012 10:15 pm 

Yes, thank-you for the recommendation!